Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Finder Information Humminbird
Wondering if anyone could help me with the differences between the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3 and the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3N?  I mean there is $175 difference in price, but is the networking capability that much more expensive, and if so what does it do for me?  I am planning on getting the Minn Kota (probably Terrova) and I really want to get good side finding capability, but I'm not rich enough to afford two finders in the same boat, so I'm doubting I'll have two finders networked between steering console and fishing position.  Is that what the networking means, or does networking have something to do with using the transducer on the Terrova and the Helix as the finder?  Guess I don't understand how those items play together.  I also need to decide if I need the I-pilot link or just the regular i-pilot?  Before I pull the trigger on the motor I want to make sure I get the one that is best for me and that I don't regret not spending the $200 more at the time, or maybe I should be thinking Ultrex or Ulterra, but I don't want to spend extra if I don't need the functions or won't use them... Just noticed the Terrova transducer doesn't support the mega SI, so maybe I'll have to upgrade the motor, so maybe I'm back to saving some more before I buy... Anyway would like to know your thoughts... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Hey Jeff,  We just got the Helix 7 for ice fishing this winter.  Not sure which one but paid $699 for it.  We have a Helix 9 for our fish finder on the boat and the Ulterra minnekota bow mount.  As of now I have the Helix 9 linked to the ulterra and connected to the transducer on the transom of the boat.  It has the side imaging and down imaging on it but we hardly ever use that.  What I do like is that it has the i pilot link to the ulterra.  That used in combination with the lakemaster chip is absolutely amazing.  I use my 9.9 kicker to push the boat and the ulterra to steer.  With the lakemaster chip I can use a feature called "follow the contour" and the boat in essence steers itself.  I don't have to do a thing except look around for other boats occasionally.  I can sit and watch my poles no problem and just fish.  Another thing I like about the Ulterra is that I can launch my boat easily by myself.  I went to Strawberry and slid the boat off the trailer, a guy in his boat parked on the dock asked me if I wanted him to go grab my boat.  I said no thanks remotely deployed the ulterra and drove it out away from the ramp and anchor locked it.  Took the truck and trailer parked it went back down and drove the boat over to the dock jumped in and was on my way.  Had to chuckle by some of the reaction on the ramp.  Right now I have the Helix 7 hooked up to the transducer on the ulterra.  Kinda like that when I'm casting I can see the depth with the transducer on the front of the boat instead of the one on the back.  Don't have mine networked to each other because I just don't see the benefit.  Still have more to learn about each one to be more efficient but have fun doing it!!!
(04-14-2020, 04:09 AM)knottyhookr Wrote: Hey Jeff,  We just got the Helix 7 for ice fishing this winter.  Not sure which one but paid $699 for it.  We have a Helix 9 for our fish finder on the boat and the Ulterra minnekota bow mount.  As of now I have the Helix 9 linked to the ulterra and connected to the transducer on the transom of the boat.  It has the side imaging and down imaging on it but we hardly ever use that.  What I do like is that it has the i pilot link to the ulterra.  That used in combination with the lakemaster chip is absolutely amazing.  I use my 9.9 kicker to push the boat and the ulterra to steer.  With the lakemaster chip I can use a feature called "follow the contour" and the boat in essence steers itself.  I don't have to do a thing except look around for other boats occasionally.  I can sit and watch my poles no problem and just fish.  Another thing I like about the Ulterra is that I can launch my boat easily by myself.  I went to Strawberry and slid the boat off the trailer, a guy in his boat parked on the dock asked me if I wanted him to go grab my boat.  I said no thanks remotely deployed the ulterra and drove it out away from the ramp and anchor locked it.  Took the truck and trailer parked it went back down and drove the boat over to the dock jumped in and was on my way.  Had to chuckle by some of the reaction on the ramp.  Right now I have the Helix 7 hooked up to the transducer on the ulterra.  Kinda like that when I'm casting I can see the depth with the transducer on the front of the boat instead of the one on the back.  Don't have mine networked to each other because I just don't see the benefit.  Still have more to learn about each one to be more efficient but have fun doing it!!!

That sounds like the sweetest system  I have heard of yet.
This is not your grandfathers super sixty.
Thanks Hugh, I got watching videos on you tube and it's a pretty cool system they have set up.  I wish you could use Navionics, but I see you have to buy the Lake master maps to use with this system.  Looks like it will cost a little over a grand to upgrade from the Terrova with spot lock and auto pilot features to the Ulterra with the auto stow and deploy, plus map following features..., map chip and i-pilot link... But the Terrova doesn't allow the Mega SI capability.... also I'd need a new FF to do that as well... So it's probably a 2 grand upgrade by the time I'm done with it...  Maybe I better be happy with a Terrova... Thanks for the great run down of capabilities... I think you ought to play with that side finder, I know that's one of the things I'd want most with the update...  Thanks again... Jeff
(04-14-2020, 06:36 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Terrova doesn't allow the Mega SI capability
you can add the transducer to a terrova, pull the head off, lay the ducer wire in the channel on the shaft glue it in, clamp the ducer to the motor, its easy, I done it to my riptide, not mega just SI.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hey Mike, do they perform better on the motors than transom mounted to the boat?  I'd think it would be good to have that further away from the boat hull, where the boat may block part of the signal, but that's just a hunch... Guess another part of my question is, if you have one of the previous generation of finders the  788 ci HD, would the transducers on the terrova work for me?  My transducer on my finder has issues so I need a new ducer to make my finder keep working... Not sure if the Chirp verses before Chirp technology play by the same rules... Maybe that is a question for their help line... Anyway thanks for the suggestion to make it work... Jeff
The only thing the SI on my finder has trouble with is the motor will block the signal for the left side of the boat. Aquick trim up of the motor fixes that in no time.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
so to my understanding, you are running a 788 ciHD at the helm, you have a terova on the bow, looking ot upgrade, correct.
what kind of system are you wanting to do, 

I have 899 helm, 898 bow, hd tranducer transiom, si ducer bow , they are linked,  if Im SI it from the transsom mounted on the right side,  if Im scaning the left will be fuzzy until I trim the motor up and it clears right up,  I would put your main ducer on the transom, so you can run up to 5 mph and side scan, alway try to match your speed to your graph speed, especialy when Imaging.
               O.C.F.D.
Thanks to both of you for the info on the Si issues, Mike I don't have a bow mount motor yet, that is really what I'm trying to decide on.  I had thought the terrova was the motor that did everything that I would use in a bow mounted motor, but then I got talking to you about eyes and started dreaming of the SI capabilities for finding cats too and then the Ulterra or Ultrex motors started to shine because of the MEGA SI capability... But things change so fast in the fish finder world and they are so darn expensive that I may just go with the plain jane terrova and use my old finder, except I'm not sure it's my transducer that's bad... I tried to run the demo program and it won't show the 2D graphs either, so now I'm wondering if it's the whole unit that's tweaked... Not real happy with that unit, I think I paid over $600 for it and I've only used it a couple years and since it hasn't worked very well the last couple years, I've been using my other finders and I think I like them all better, except they don't have the GPS on them.. Makes me wonder if I want to go back to Humminbird or not... Hasn't been very good quality... Well guess I don't get to fish much in the summer anyway so maybe I'll just stick with the Marcum for the ice and my sonar phones for what soft water fishing I do.... Later Jeff
well, the terova is a good motor, hear ultera has some issues, (not sure,),  the biggest game changer for me is spot lock and GPS, not even sure if my achor is still in the boat,  side image is great for finding structure with out running it over, but gps puts me back on the spot, I have well over 3 to 4 hundered spots on UL, all structure points, drops, ridges, rock piles,  mega  and ultera is better  and nicer for sure, but it cost $$$$$, I found my riptide and 898 on ksl and here, 899 on sale.  you would be very happy with a terova and regualer SI, I am anyway, one day when I win the lottery, it will come all preloaded on my new boat. Sad

recomend 24 volt motor if you got room for batterys, minkota = humming bird,  lowrance = motor guide,  to what I know, the work together better, just keep your eyes open youll find somthing,
               O.C.F.D.
The Terrova has been on my two year save up plan, so that's probably the one I will go with... I have a trihull and I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on my boat, it will have to be a little unconventional, but I think it will still fit and work okay... Looking forward to it... J
Quote:Wondering if anyone could help me with the differences between the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3 and the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3N

Did you ever find the difference ? WheneI went down to the  Cabelas sale a month or so ago I went to get the first at $399. They did not have it but the manager gave me the seocnd at the same price. I dont see that there was a huge diff.
(04-15-2020, 03:30 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: The Terrova has been on my two year save up plan, so that's probably the one I will go with... I have a trihull and I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on my boat, it will have to be a little unconventional, but I think it will still fit and work okay... Looking forward to it... J

When I made a trolling motor bracket for my old trihull I used two pieces of 1" thick teflon that I cut to fit the mounting bracket and then shaped to fit the curve of the hull where I wanted the motor to be. It took awhile to get it shaped but turned out to be a solid mount.

A couple of pictures.
[Image: 20170509-141452-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20170412-144445-HDR.jpg]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Jeff,

I have the Terrova and the Helix 7 with mega SI and mega down G3, not networked and it is still an amazing setup. So far I haven't been super impressed with the side imaging but I'm still learning (had it out about 10 times, mostly Bear Lake, Willard once). I find the regular sonar and the mega down imaging seems to work the best for me. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and tried what they say but there is definitely a learning curve to get the most out of these amazing fish finders. Once you figure it out, come out with me sometime and show me how its done!

Lance
fishfinders keep coming out with new stuff, I don't like looking because I want to buy
some things to think about 
the first is how and where do you fish.
I would think about buying a Graman that will support live scope . then when you get $1500 buy the live scope
If you ice fish make a pole mount like this for your  TRANSDUCER and you can take everything with you and you can put the transducder any place on your boat you want.
FISHING SPECIALTIES INC
https://fishingspecialties.com/building-and-using
CREATING YOUR SEMI-CUSTOM FISHING TRANSDUCER MOUNTING
you can learn a lot about fishfinders here.   (are go with me fishing}
BBC Boards: Humminbird Sonar/GPS
http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133

I would call these guys about humminbird 
https://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/
me I watch tons of Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/jasonhalfenoutdoors/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/garminblog/playlists

I have the ultera and they do have  some issues   I don't like the transducer that come with the Ultera.

Humminbird HELIX G3N - MEGA IMAGING Plus +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t4-4AIyboc&t=521s
(04-15-2020, 04:52 PM)packfish Wrote:
Quote:Wondering if anyone could help me with the differences between the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3 and the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3N

Did you ever find the difference ? WheneI went down to the  Cabelas sale a month or so ago I went to get the first at $399. They did not have it but the manager gave me the seocnd at the same price. I dont see that there was a huge diff.

I didn't find out the official difference, but it has to do with memory slots and networking capabilities and I think the N allows for the Autochart capabilities, which allows you to make your own topo maps of lakes that don't have them... Wish I would have seen that sale, I might have pulled the trigger on a new finder.  That's about half what they are asking now... Congrats on a great pick up... I reset my 788 to factory settings so now it's working again, so I'm not having to get a new finder now, so I think I'll keep looking for a good sale like you found... Thanks for the info... Jeff

(04-15-2020, 05:55 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 03:30 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: The Terrova has been on my two year save up plan, so that's probably the one I will go with... I have a trihull and I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on my boat, it will have to be a little unconventional, but I think it will still fit and work okay... Looking forward to it... J

When I made a trolling motor bracket for my old trihull I used two pieces of 1" thick teflon that I cut to fit the mounting bracket and then shaped to fit the curve of the hull where I wanted the motor to be. It took awhile to get it shaped but turned out to be a solid mount.

A couple of pictures.
[Image: 20170509-141452-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20170412-144445-HDR.jpg]

Hey that looks like almost the same boat as I have.  I hadn't thought about going down the side like that, thanks for the great idea...  I was looking at trying to deal with motors sticking out into the open bow area, I like your idea much better, if you don't mind me copying it?  Thank you so much for passing that on I appreciate that very much...  Jeff

Quote:

Hey, what length of shaft did you get and do you wish you had longer or shorter?  I've been trying to decide between the 45 and 54", I heard that big waves can result in your trolling motor being pulled out of the water, now I don't like fishing in the waves anyway, but there are times on Bear Lake when the regular swells can get sort of big, so I want to be able to not second guess my shaft length later... Thanks... Jeff

(04-15-2020, 06:08 PM)fly_fishing_nut Wrote: Jeff,

I have the Terrova and the Helix 7 with mega SI and mega down G3, not networked and it is still an amazing setup. So far I haven't been super impressed with the side imaging but I'm still learning (had it out about 10 times, mostly Bear Lake, Willard once). I find the regular sonar and the mega down imaging seems to work the best for me. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and tried what they say but there is definitely a learning curve to get the most out of these amazing fish finders. Once you figure it out, come out with me sometime and show me how its done!

Lance
Lance, 
For me, I want the side finder for 1. finding terrain features that hold fish, and two to use on river type areas and shoot back in under trees and areas where I can't easily get with the boat.  I also think it can help you dial in on where the fish are holding.  I've never used one, but watching In Depth Outdoors and you tube videos, I'm thinking that the capability would really be nice to have... Now before I got the down imaging I thought that about it as well, and I've really never fell in love with that feature and hardly ever use it... so I hope the side imaging isn't the same thing.... would be fun to join you when they get things cleared up with the virus and hopefully before the farming sets in for the summer, but maybe next fall might be more promising... Be fun to figure out how to use the high end features...  I thought I knew how to set up my Marcum on the ice pretty well, but Skyler took about 2 minutes and dialed in my finder so much better than I had, had it set up, so it is great to have someone with a little experience show you some tricks... now if I could just remember them for next time... Later Jeff
(04-15-2020, 06:55 PM)liketrolling Wrote: fishfinders keep coming out with new stuff, I don't like looking because I want to buy
some things to think about 
the first is how and where do you fish.
I would think about buying a Graman that will support live scope . then when you get $1500 buy the live scope
If you ice fish make a pole mount like this for your  TRANSDUCER and you can take everything with you and you can put the transducder any place on your boat you want.
FISHING SPECIALTIES INC
https://fishingspecialties.com/building-and-using
CREATING YOUR SEMI-CUSTOM FISHING TRANSDUCER MOUNTING
you can learn a lot about fishfinders here.   (are go with me fishing}
BBC Boards: Humminbird Sonar/GPS
http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133

I would call these guys about humminbird 
https://fishfinders.factoryoutletstore.com/
me I watch tons of Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/jasonhalfenoutdoors/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/garminblog/playlists

I have the ultera and they do have  some issues   I don't like the transducer that come with the Ultera.

Humminbird HELIX G3N - MEGA IMAGING Plus +
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t4-4AIyboc&t=521s

Robert, there's a lot of things to consider in what you have provided...  A friend of mine has the live scope and we got to see it in action on the ice this winter... Pretty cool stuff, but I'm afraid financially I'm a generation behind in what I can afford... which is kind of frustrating to have your finders outdated in a year or two after you spend $700+ on them, but as long as they work well, I don't always have to have the newest next thing... Guess I just want something that works and I can figure out how to get it to do what it's supposed to do...  What I'd really like is a shallow water side finder, so I had a clue where to look for catfish... but I'm sure that is pretty tough tech to come up with... Thank you for all the resources to study... Jeff
Jeff the networking capabilities allow you to connect another fish finder if you wanted a 2nd 1in the back of the boat, also allows radar, auto pilot, marine radio, etc to "talk" together and get overlays and operate them off of multiple units. This requires lots of cables, T's and such to connect it all together along with telephone wire for the NEMA stuff  (very common use/install is in the off shore boats).
Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP Mega SI G3   $664.99     360 Imaging Compatibility: No     Minn Kota i-Pilot Link Compatibility:  No    this means don't buy a minn kota with i-Pilot Link you can't follow the contors     5-Port Ethernet Switch Compatibility: No     View Preset Keys: No Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP Mega SI G3N  $799.99  they both use the same Transducer Included: XNT 9 HW MSI 150 T The G3N has more  features most of them I  don't think you would use what I don't like is both only one Memory Card Slot:  if you get good at reading SI you should see the cats     in water deeper than 30 feet I don't use Mega SI I go to 455 are 800 KHz both have this Range-Side Imaging 480 ft (455 kHz), 75 ft (MEGA) does not look like they have 800 kHz but you do not need it
(04-16-2020, 11:23 PM)2knots Wrote: Jeff the networking capabilities allow you to connect another fish finder if you wanted a 2nd 1in the back of the boat, also allows radar, auto pilot, marine radio, etc to "talk" together and get overlays and operate them off of multiple units. This requires lots of cables, T's and such to connect it all together along with telephone wire for the NEMA stuff  (very common use/install is in the off shore boats).

Thanks Alan,
Not sure if I understood this correctly, but I think the newer finders says they use wi-fi or bluetooth or ethernet.  So not sure if that will cut down on the cables or not.  Guess for weekend type boats this level of tech probably isn't necessary for most, but I can see the commercial benefits of it.. Thanks for the info... Jeff

(04-17-2020, 01:25 AM)liketrolling Wrote: Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP Mega SI G3   $664.99     360 Imaging Compatibility: No     Minn Kota i-Pilot Link Compatibility:  No    this means don't buy a minn kota with i-Pilot Link you can't follow the contors     5-Port Ethernet Switch Compatibility: No     View Preset Keys: No Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP Mega SI G3N  $799.99  they both use the same Transducer Included: XNT 9 HW MSI 150 T The G3N has more  features most of them I  don't think you would use what I don't like is both only one Memory Card Slot:  if you get good at reading SI you should see the cats     in water deeper than 30 feet I don't use Mega SI I go to 455 are 800 KHz both have this Range-Side Imaging 480 ft (455 kHz), 75 ft (MEGA) does not look like they have 800 kHz but you do not need it
That is kind of what I figured for the MEGA being mostly a shallow water tool.  Is the distance to the sides effected by the depth of the water.  For instance in water 3' deep can you still shoot 45' to the side? Or is it reduced because it's not deep enough to function properly?  I guess Willard is shallow enough you probably would want to use the MEGA there too... Will the wide side imaging still work at like a 25' deep lake?  If so 480' ought to help you find schools of wipers on willard a little faster than hoping you drive over top of them... I was looking at my 788 finder and there are sure a lot of features on it that I don't use, guess we use what we can see a need for, and the rest we probably just haven't figured out our need for that feature yet...  That's why fishing with those that have used more things is always so good for teaching us how to become better... Those benefits of education... Thanks for helping educate me... Jeff