Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Finder Information Humminbird
(04-15-2020, 04:52 PM)packfish Wrote:
Quote:Wondering if anyone could help me with the differences between the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3 and the Helix 7 Chirp, Mega SI, GPS, G3N

Did you ever find the difference ? WheneI went down to the  Cabelas sale a month or so ago I went to get the first at $399. They did not have it but the manager gave me the seocnd at the same price. I dont see that there was a huge diff.

I didn't find out the official difference, but it has to do with memory slots and networking capabilities and I think the N allows for the Autochart capabilities, which allows you to make your own topo maps of lakes that don't have them... Wish I would have seen that sale, I might have pulled the trigger on a new finder.  That's about half what they are asking now... Congrats on a great pick up... I reset my 788 to factory settings so now it's working again, so I'm not having to get a new finder now, so I think I'll keep looking for a good sale like you found... Thanks for the info... Jeff

(04-15-2020, 05:55 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 03:30 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: The Terrova has been on my two year save up plan, so that's probably the one I will go with... I have a trihull and I'm trying to figure out how to mount it on my boat, it will have to be a little unconventional, but I think it will still fit and work okay... Looking forward to it... J

When I made a trolling motor bracket for my old trihull I used two pieces of 1" thick teflon that I cut to fit the mounting bracket and then shaped to fit the curve of the hull where I wanted the motor to be. It took awhile to get it shaped but turned out to be a solid mount.

A couple of pictures.
[Image: 20170509-141452-HDR.jpg]

[Image: 20170412-144445-HDR.jpg]

Hey that looks like almost the same boat as I have.  I hadn't thought about going down the side like that, thanks for the great idea...  I was looking at trying to deal with motors sticking out into the open bow area, I like your idea much better, if you don't mind me copying it?  Thank you so much for passing that on I appreciate that very much...  Jeff

Quote:

Hey, what length of shaft did you get and do you wish you had longer or shorter?  I've been trying to decide between the 45 and 54", I heard that big waves can result in your trolling motor being pulled out of the water, now I don't like fishing in the waves anyway, but there are times on Bear Lake when the regular swells can get sort of big, so I want to be able to not second guess my shaft length later... Thanks... Jeff

(04-15-2020, 06:08 PM)fly_fishing_nut Wrote: Jeff,

I have the Terrova and the Helix 7 with mega SI and mega down G3, not networked and it is still an amazing setup. So far I haven't been super impressed with the side imaging but I'm still learning (had it out about 10 times, mostly Bear Lake, Willard once). I find the regular sonar and the mega down imaging seems to work the best for me. I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos and tried what they say but there is definitely a learning curve to get the most out of these amazing fish finders. Once you figure it out, come out with me sometime and show me how its done!

Lance
Lance, 
For me, I want the side finder for 1. finding terrain features that hold fish, and two to use on river type areas and shoot back in under trees and areas where I can't easily get with the boat.  I also think it can help you dial in on where the fish are holding.  I've never used one, but watching In Depth Outdoors and you tube videos, I'm thinking that the capability would really be nice to have... Now before I got the down imaging I thought that about it as well, and I've really never fell in love with that feature and hardly ever use it... so I hope the side imaging isn't the same thing.... would be fun to join you when they get things cleared up with the virus and hopefully before the farming sets in for the summer, but maybe next fall might be more promising... Be fun to figure out how to use the high end features...  I thought I knew how to set up my Marcum on the ice pretty well, but Skyler took about 2 minutes and dialed in my finder so much better than I had, had it set up, so it is great to have someone with a little experience show you some tricks... now if I could just remember them for next time... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
Finder Information Humminbird - by SkunkedAgain - 04-13-2020, 08:48 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by MSM1970 - 04-14-2020, 06:51 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by a_bow_nut - 04-14-2020, 07:46 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by MSM1970 - 04-14-2020, 08:08 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by MSM1970 - 04-14-2020, 10:29 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by packfish - 04-15-2020, 04:52 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by SkunkedAgain - 04-16-2020, 04:23 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by a_bow_nut - 04-15-2020, 05:55 PM
RE: Finder Information Humminbird - by 2knots - 04-16-2020, 11:23 PM