Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Invasive spieces stickers
I was told that nonresidents will now have to get a Utah Invasive sticker on their boat, i hope that is true, its about time.
I'm with you on that one Pete. Also, we as residents are paying the fee thru our DMV but not sure if revenue is going to right area. Other states issue a decal for both residents & nonresidents but thru their own Game & Fish departments.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(04-16-2020, 11:34 PM)PACKFAN Wrote: I was told that nonresidents will now have to get a Utah Invasive sticker on their boat, i hope that is true, its about time.

Sorry Pete; that is not true.  When I saw your post this morning, I thought it may have been premature since I hadn't gotten an update from a contact I have in the DNR (DWR) AIS Section.  I called him this morning to see if some decisions have been made on this - they have, and they do not involve issuing a stamp/sticker/decal to non-residents.

The plan for this year is to require the non-resident boat owner to carry and show the receipt from paying the Utah AIS, non-resident fee.  The Information Technology (IT) folks in the DNR (DWR) are developing the payment program and are exploring tying the fee payment receipt to the On-line AIS Education Course such that the proof of fee payment receipt will be contained on the Course Completion certificate.  The IT folks are also looking at developing/modifying a mobile app to save the information on your cell phone like those that save your hunting/fishing licenses.

Nothing is finalized yet, but there will not be a stamp/sticker/decal issued for display on the water vessel - at least not this year.  My contact doesn't personally like stamps/stickers/decals at all, so what the future will bring is unknown at this time.  I hope this clears this up for you and anybody else interested in this new law and how it will be implemented.  Tight lines Pete.   Smile

(04-17-2020, 01:18 AM)Bduck Wrote: I'm with you on that one Pete. Also, we as residents are paying the fee thru our DMV but not sure if revenue is going to right area. Other states issue a decal for both residents & nonresidents but thru their own Game & Fish departments.

Roger, one of the few good things (IMHO) that the new law (HB255) did was address the issue of where is the revenue going.  Here is the answer: This bill (HB255) creates the Aquatic Invasive Species Interdiction Account.  This restricted account shall consist of nonresident aquatic invasive species fees collected under Utah Code, Section 23-27-304; resident aquatic invasive species fees collected under Utah Code, Section 73-18-26; and any other amount deposited in the restricted account from donations, appropriations, contractual agreements, and accrued interest.  Upon appropriation, the division shall use the fees collected under Utah Code, Sections 23-27-305 and 73-18-26 and deposited in the Aquatic Invasive Species Account to fund aquatic invasive species prevention and containment efforts.

I hope this clears it up for you and anybody else interested in this new law and how it will be implemented.  Tight lines Roger.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I was wrong on that I just assumed that they would have to apply a sticker to their boat which is required in Wy. and Idaho. I'm glad that they are now required to pay a fee and help support Utah's efforts in trying to control the spread of these little buggers. I do think that with out a sticker it will be harder to police the out of state boaters, we'll see.  Dodgy