Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Trip Suggestions/Info?
Howdy All, I have the opportunity to go to Utah at the end of this month for a trip and am putting together a little week long loop through Utah to hit some diffrerent areas and am looking for suggestions and info!The current plan is to rent a car in SLC and first hit the Uinta/Wasatch Natl. Forest. Fish the Provo and some lakes up there then head down hwy 35 and hit the Duchesne river around Hanna. From there Id like to work my way down 191 and hwy 10 and find some stuff in the Manti-La Sal Natl. Forest. The final leg of the trip will be working my way over to Salina to drop off my gear before driving back and Flying out of SLC.Im looking for any info on spots to hit anywhere along that route as well as any recommendations on fly shops in the areas. I also am looking for more cost effective car rentals than the big name brands, any suggestions or info is appreciated! Thanks

EDIT: Links are not allowed for new members and are never allowed for the purpose of advertisement on this site, unless you pay for that right.
I dont rent many cars so im no help there.  Talk to fish tech great all around fishing shop.  Their is a few fly shops in heber that can help with the provo.  middle section should be fishing good! and could get some spawner rainbows coming up from deer creek. The rest of ur trip  look for water that is not running off id try to get as high as you can.  The real high country might be iced in.  Have a great trip! please post pics and info about your trip!!!
(04-20-2020, 10:57 AM)LorenzoDean Wrote: Howdy All, I have the opportunity to go to Utah at the end of this month for a trip and am putting together a little week long loop through Utah to hit some diffrerent areas and am looking for suggestions and info!The current plan is to rent a car in SLC and first hit the Uinta/Wasatch Natl. Forest. Fish the Provo and some lakes up there then head down hwy 35 and hit the Duchesne river around Hanna. From there Id like to work my way down 191 and hwy 10 and find some stuff in the Manti-La Sal Natl. Forest. The final leg of the trip will be working my way over to Salina to drop off my gear before driving back and Flying out of SLC.Im looking for any info on spots to hit anywhere along that route as well as any recommendations on fly shops in the areas. I also am looking for more cost effective car rentals than the big name brands, any suggestions or info is appreciated! Thanks!

Due to Covid 19 restrictions you won't be able to fish any of those places.  Provo is only open to residents of Summit and Wasatch Counties.  The lakes it flows through are also under resident restrictions.  I live in SL and I can't even fish there.  Same for Duchesne around Hanna, which could still be snowed in at that time anyway.  Everything off of 10 is closed to non residents as well as near Salina.
Sorry.  Watch the DWR website for updates as that could change but I doubt it wil before May.  There is a post on state parks on the general fishing page that if you wade through it can give you the links on what is open and what is not.
I could be mistaken but most waters you want to fish are under county restrictions and closed to non residents.
Your rental will more than likely have out of state plates, making you a target. I can recommend FOX on Redwood road, not at the airport.  A short way from the airport by Uber or Lyft if you can get one.  https://www.foxrentacar.com/en/reserve-a-car.html#step2
There are a lot better places t fish then the provo and who knows what restrictions will be lifted after may 1st.  https://coronavirus.utah.gov/special-orders/
if your really gonna fly to utardia and road trip for fishing a week or so before a global health pandemic thats killed close to 40k in the usa, is going to probably peak here.
Please consider traveling minimalistictly with a leave no trace manner id rent a small rv or sprinter van myself
or consider a plan that would involve less travel and potentail exposure to death for all.
the bovine owner had a great post on living in a small community,1st responding, and the impact of of potentail, calling it other than death, even when the state totals are less than 30, is short sided
My friends at fish tech have closed , B and M are in the utah flyfishing hall of fame for good reasons though, not just cause their great sticks.
They and a lot of others have been fighting for years to change utahs stream acess laws to a more montanaesque high water ones and promote utah fishing for all
rei pantigonia and a lot of other big retailers also are still closed.
guns and ammo are "essentails" so cabelos is still open but limiting customers
rei pantigonia and a lot of other big retailers are still closed

idk about tb2, jans or heber shops being open
summit county as well as a lot of small ski towns ketchum etc got hit hard in the pandemic
I wont tell you not to come though i have guide friends in dutch john who have kids rent car payments etc
and the economy always matters.
And the politicions are moving towards a reopening
if you have never fished/floated the green and you want to be part of the provo bounce rig bobber birdgrade on an overfished full pullout river
well one of those rivers is in the 50 places to fly fling before you die for good reason
if youve never caught a +2' carp on a fly
well next week that will probably fish better than a lot of cold coming into runnoff limit visibilty streams
as will berry and c creek iceoff imo
we had a great snow year  the unintas are still holding a lot of snow
i manage to git a few walleyes to eat the fly last year in the spring at starvie and willard
never fished the duschene or r creek this early
 but if you have the loot falcons ledge is sweet digs and good fishin
i dont know if 6 lakes still does daily
theyre trying to sell the lc ranch so i doubt theyre doing lodging 
i havent had a membership in a few years

i bet one could ut cutt slam and social distance pretty well
i dont know where youre coming from skills or fitness levels or budget
pm me if you want some off the beaten path how i would attempt social distance safely ideas
if i told everyone the path could git beaten
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom