Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo light tackle?
Hello fishheads, this is my first post and I'm very impressed with this forum. I'm taking Lady Leo next month to Los Barriles just north of San Jose del Cabo. We are fishing on 30' cruisers for marlin and tuna two days. I plan on fishing closer to shore on pangas a day or two. I have read that you should bring your own light tackle, but what should I bring? I just ordered a Penn 6500SS spincasting reel and a 7' medium heavy rod. It is a 15-20# setup, what is the best line to use? I do have a good levelwind rig to take too. I have fluorocarbon leader and ballbearing swivels. I been able to find out that the pangas do troll, cast and livebait fish. What is there main method? I think they'll do whatever you like. I'm taking livebait hooks, sinkers, some Rapalas and Crocodiles. Anyother suggestions or should I just plan on buying some what the locals suggest down there?

Looking forward to contributing to the board and catchin' all the tips.
[signature]
Beats me my man.

I dont know that there are a lot of us here who do the mexico thing.

Now, there are a few. BLM goes offshore a couple times a year, and I believe last year he hit cabo. IFG and some others have dont hier fair share of offshore fishing, so you may want to send one of them a private message.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]You lucky dog. I have fished a good part of the Baja, north of Cabo. I would personally rather fish inshore for the small to medium species and leave the high priced hard work to the masochists.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]The "pangeros" will usually fish however the paying fare wants to fish...fly, spinning or baitcasting...lures or bait. And, you can wear your arm out on the inshore fish whichever way you fish. It is often good casting from shore.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you want a shot at roosterfish, live bait is the best bet. However, the smaller ones will also hit lures and flies when they are active. Throwing iron or plastics will catch at least thirty or more species...which run from a pound to twenty pounds or more. Bass tackle will handle almost anything except the pargo (snapper) which are strong and like to bore into the rocks. If you get into them, you should use fifty pound Spiderwire or equivalent, and be prepared for a slug fest. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Depending on weather and temps, you could get jacks, sierra mackerel, small tuna, yellowtail, several different kinds of seabass, always lots of triggerfish, needlefish, etc. Once in awhile the dorados come fairly close inshore, especially if there is clean water and floating debris.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Rapalas and Krocodiles are always in fashion. I have also worn the finishes off many blue and silver Ratltraps. In plastics, use heads from 1/4 to 1/2 oz, with white or pearl plastics from 3" to 6". The Big Hammer swimbaits would be great down there, but you don't have to fish the expensive stuff to get bit. Plain white twisters on white heads will get all the action you can stand. If the going gets tougher, you can fish a piece of cut bait on a white hair or feather jig. Those work great for reef fish.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]In a nutshell, take some stout "light tackle", but for the most part you can use anything you would feel comfortable fishing for largemouth in fresh water. Same rods, reels, line and lures. Only difference is that a salt water fish down there...the same size as a largemouth...would pull the largie inside out if they were tied tail to tail. They got attitude.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I actually like to play with light spinning tackle close inshore. I use good quality 6 or 8 pound mono...Silver Thread Excalibur is my choice. There are swarms of one to two pound fish...and some a lot bigger...that seldom get hassled by shorebound anglers and are in too close for the boats. I launch a tube and fish the "in the middle" zone. It is like virgin fishing. The pangas can put you onto some of that stuff.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck. Wish I was going with ya.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. You mentioned two things I forgot to bring up jigs and shorefishing. Sounds like casting form shore will be a blast. Will larger jigs be effective vertical fishing offshore? Do the pangeros use sardines or similar fish for livebait? Kayak fishing sounds very interesting also. I like the idea of hooking something that will get it up on a plane. I can't wait.
[signature]
[cool]If you want to fish the offshore reefs, for big snappers, groupers and triggerfish...among others...heavier jigs will get you down faster, but are no guarantee that something else won't intercept it on the way down. You can use the big two or three ounce leadheads, but unless you are fishing for the cooler (fillets) I think you will have more fun and less work in shallower water.

Bait down there is usually mullet...caught with either a cast net or gill net. If you want live mackerel or other baitfish, be prepared to pay a couple of dollars or more per bait. And they frown upon gringos who want to catch their own bait. But, if you take a couple sabiki rigs you can catch a wide variety of bait fish...all acceptable to roosters and other predators.

I think there are a couple of places down there that will rent you a 'yak, if you wanna get up close and personal with your fishies. And, I guarantee that there are plenty of fish that can give you a ride. Just be sure you watch out for strong current rips during tide changes and for the afternoon "breezes" that sometimes blow offshore. Oh yeah, you might wanna be careful about dangling your bare anatomy in the water too. There are some big hammerheads down there that mostly eat fish but have been known to nibble on other things.
[signature]
check the "baja mexico fishing" websites like bajaonthefly or bluewaterfishing, among others. You'll love Los Barriles, neat town with lots of charm-probably my favorite place in baja. The info you got from tubetude is right on!

HCD
[signature]