Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek Res. - 04/26/2020
Fished the boat launch arm from my tube yesterday and it was quite a morning. I kicked off shore around 7:00a, water temp was 43* F, and it was ON right away. Hitting fish on Seal Bugger and #14  Hare's Ear right off the bat. Around 8:00 a light breeze brought the riffle and I switched over to Chironomids. Fished them (a pair) about 6 & 7 feet below an indicator and it was almost non-stop action until 10:30a or so.

Ended up landing 9 Rainbows and 8 Cutthroats with many more missed/lost. Just one of those days where you hit the timing/depth/location right on the money and it feels like you can do no wrong. Only disappointment yesterday was the quality... normally, days like this at LC produce 4-5 fish at/over 20 inch mark... nothing landed yesterday was over 15 inches, although one horse came unbuttoned during it's third run (no visual).

Side note: I am a bird nerd as well, and that action was pretty awesome yesterday as well... Bald Eagles, Osprey, Common Loons, White-faced Ibis (in the flooded fields), and even a "drumming" Ruffed Grouse were some of the highlights.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
Well done! LC is a fav for sure!
Thanks for the report!  Didn't know you were also a birder. When I lived in Boston Spring migration was my favorite time of the year.  Since moving West fly fishing has displaced bird watching for most of my recreation days, but I would like to get out with the binoculars more. Sounds like a good day all around.
I had some friends (5) that fished it last Friday from their pontoons and they did well also but like you most of the fish were 15" and under.  One guy did land a 20" rainbow but that was the only big fish.

Thanks for the report, that is a fun place for both wildlife and fishing.
(04-27-2020, 10:12 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Thanks for the report!  Didn't know you were also a birder. When I lived in Boston Spring migration was my favorite time of the year.  Since moving West fly fishing has displaced bird watching for most of my recreation days, but I would like to get out with the binoculars more. Sounds like a good day all around.

Similar situation for me... I moved to UT from PA in 2010 and it was the new burst of western species that relit my birding fire. Salt Lake Valley is such a massive migration corridor for so many interesting species... and places like Little Dell and Lost Creek make it easy to meld the two hobbies together.

Agreed though on spring migration... nothing out west matches the flurry of mixed warblers passing through the eastern States in May.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring