Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Catfish?
Has anyone fished for catfish since they stopped planting them in 2008, or is this a hush hush subject?
I've been wanting to try, but everytime I go up there I keep forgetting that they're in there and just end up fishing for trout. I'm wondering if there is a healthy population or am I just going to be wasting my time.
I seen the state record cat for Wyoming caught in 2017 near Anvil draw and really wanted to fish for them since then.
I saw that about the record too and have wondered the same. Seems I read somewhere that Wyoming biologists believe there are a lot of cats and they are highly underutilized. Would be just like you to go up there and catch a 36"er. If you try it, let us know how it goes.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

They are still there. Some dedicated and closed lipped, whisker seeking Gorge Junkies haunt the confluence at dusk in search of old bull kats
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
If you caught any, would they be usable for the contest? I know part of FG is in Utah, possibly considered as part of  the north team area ?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Funnty that ive been going to FG since I was a young pup, and never even knew Cats were in the water. learn something new everyday.  Wrote:Funnty that ive been going to FG since I was a young pup, and never even knew Cats were in the water. learn something new everyday. 
(04-29-2020, 12:57 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: They are still there. Some dedicated and closed lipped, whisker seeking Gorge Junkies haunt the confluence at dusk in search of old bull kats

I guess I'm just too much of a Kokanee snob to fish for catfish at teh Gorge.  Tongue
Sunrise on the water
Well, just got back from a 4 day adventure at the Gorge. Wasn't trying to catch anything for the contest, just wanted to see if I could actually catch one.
Tried a dozen or so spots around the lake the first two days. We used our normal cat set ups and baits. Fished both night and day with only a couple of bites during the night. We think the bites were lake trout because everytime we would reel our baits in we would hook a lake trout or have one follow it. Finally gave up on the catfish and just started to fish for trout. Caught plenty of rainbows and the occasional lake trout on Powerbait or worms. We also caught a couple of burbot and a decent sized cutthroat.
Weather was great and the w.......d didn't even blow us off the lake, except when we were leaving.
Next time I'll bring the boat up and try it again.
I had cousins that grew up in Green River WY. The river through town had a lot of cats in it, but they caught them later in the year when the water warmed. I bet the upper end late in the summer might be good.
Yup - basically from the confluence up and wait for the carp to start rolling
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew