Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report Weds 4/29
Made my first fishing trip of the year. Too a while to get my Kayak loaded due to lack of practice and finding stuff I'd put away safely. On the water at 7:30, clear, calm and water temp 59. Seven or eight boats in the North Marina, all searching for crappie, as were a dozen or so bank tanglers. Saw three crappie and a largemouth caught from the banks, none from boats that I witnessed. Including mine. Never left the marina, but probed every inch of it. Had one very tiny nibble near the docks, saw very few fish on sonar, not even carp. Left at 11:30 during a pause in the launch/recovery parade, mostly anglers.

Cleaning station is still wrapped, they have a lady at the prep area asking about mussels certs, etc. Water had risen to 60 degrees, no bragging about catches that I could hear.
You got there and left too early. Water temp will hit 63 late afternoon Crappie will cooperate when that happens.
They did for us Monday. You will notice many people showing up late afternoon, many with headlights on, that is a clue, so some night action as well
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I launched out of the South Marina a little before 9 AM.  Had my first hit about 11:15 AM.  A 1 lb, 15 oz walleye at around 17 inches in length.  Dinner tomorrow night.   Big Grin

Next hit came around 12:30 or so and from the action on the rod, I'm guessing wiper.  Made an LDR on it.   Cool

That was it for the day.  Stopped fishing at 2 PM.  When I pulled into the marina, it was an absolute zoo.  Mostly power squadron boats.  I talked to two other fishermen just leaving when I did and they boated one bass and lost a fish.

I've never seen Willard that busy on a weekday afternoon.  There were a dozen vehicles pulling boats at the entrance when I left; only 2 were fishing boats.  Next week I'll have to go earlier and leave earlier to avoid that mess.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-30-2020, 12:08 AM)dubob Wrote: I launched out of the South Marina a little before 9 AM.  Had my first hit about 11:15 AM.  A 1 lb, 15 oz walleye at around 17 inches in length.  Dinner tomorrow night.   Big Grin

Next hit came around 12:30 or so and from the action on the rod, I'm guessing wiper.  Made an LDR on it.   Cool

That was it for the day.  Stopped fishing at 2 PM.  When I pulled into the marina, it was an absolute zoo.  Mostly power squadron boats.  I talked to two other fishermen just leaving when I did and they boated one bass and lost a fish.

I've never seen Willard that busy on a weekday afternoon.  There were a dozen vehicles pulling boats at the entrance when I left; only 2 were fishing boats.  Next week I'll have to go earlier and leave earlier to avoid that mess.

Hmmm.... 9 am ... Not hard to find you little boy.