Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB weather today
LOCAL WEATHER INFORMATION

"Probable nor'easter to sou'west winds, varying to the southward and westward and eastward and points between; high and low barometer, sweeping round from place to place; probable areas of rain, snow hail and drought, succeeded or preceded by earthquakes with thunder and lightning."
Mark Twain

So I went to Lincoln Beach very early today thinking I knew what the weather would be like (good to go). It was so windy that it rocked my pickup while I sat parked on the ramp. I texted Pisco and he said the forecasts he could see called for it to settle down at 10:00. I came home and started looking for wind-prediction sites. Found a bunch and they all said something different, not unlike what old Samuel said above. I might try again but tomorrow and Saturday look to be fine days to be out on Old Muddy. 

What sites do you all use to help you decide if you should hit the lake or not? And what does the water look like when it's safe or just not? Any help would be appreciated.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

My go to site for wind information is weather.gov, I have a few different hobbies that are affected by wind. I have found it to be fairly accurate. I can't say what Utah lake safe conditions are, as I've just never boated there.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph...rQZKcZ7nVs
I use windfinder.com, fishweather.com, and National Weather Service at forecast.weather.gov. They seem to be faily reliable but at times they seem to contradict each other. The best forecast, expecially for big waters like UL, is the one you can see. I've made many "sunny and calm" trips to UL only to see rolling whitecaps and cloudy skies. Fickle weather. Confused
(05-07-2020, 03:16 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I use windfinder.com, fishweather.com, and National Weather Service at forecast.weather.gov. They seem to be faily reliable but at times they seem to contradict each other. The best forecast, expecially for big waters like UL, is the one you can see. I've made many "sunny and calm" trips to UL only to see rolling whitecaps and cloudy skies. Fickle weather. Confused

Hey  Lynn, that's 'cuz the weather guessers all have fancy, hihg tech widgets and radar and doppler, and other such stuff.........but they don't have windows.
Big Grin

I'm kinda partial to National Weather Service
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks everyone. I usually use windfinder. I like that it is a pinpoint forecast. I don't like that they are in 3-hour increments. And sometimes the wind is very different than what they said. The other day it was blowing from exactly the opposite direction from the forecast. Here's the one I check:

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/linc..._utah_lake
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig, something I have noticed up here at Willard. Summer time, beautiful warm morning, sun just starting to peak over the east mountains, and wind comes up on a day that is forecast as calm. The higher the sun gets, the warmer it gets, the stronger the wind gets at least for a short while. Once the air has warmed up the winds calm down.  Usually only takes an hour or so.

Cool
Hey Forest, it looks like you're up early too. I'm ready to head to Lincoln now that I have checked the weather, again. When I went out to double check my batteries the wind was blowing pretty good here in Spanish Fork. But that's usual--we live not too far from the canyon and the wind gets going pretty good every morning. The geologists call it a sucking canyon because of the way it draws air. I checked windfinder and it says there's a 3mph breeze at Lincoln Point. I hope they are right.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and experience. Last year we had a mini-flotilla and clean-up day and the wind and waves were atrocious. Some guys just went home but a couple of us stuck it out and it settled down nicely after a while.

They are searching for the bodies of those two teen girls at Lincoln. You may wish to launch somewhere else.
Thanks, Rocky. I discovered that when I arrived there. I guess I'll head for Provo instead.

(05-08-2020, 11:54 AM)catchinon Wrote: Hey Forest, it looks like you're up early too. I'm ready to head to Lincoln now that I have checked the weather, again. When I went out to double check my batteries the wind was blowing pretty good here in Spanish Fork. But that's usual--we live not too far from the canyon and the wind gets going pretty good every morning. The geologists call it a sucking canyon because of the way it draws air. I checked windfinder and it says there's a 3mph breeze at Lincoln Point. I hope they are right.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and experience. Last year we had a mini-flotilla and clean-up day and the wind and waves were atrocious. Some guys just went home but a couple of us stuck it out and it settled down nicely after a while.

Yea Craig, I have to be at work at 0600, but I'm always in  the shop by 0515. At least for 25 more working days.  Then I will probably still wake up before 0400 every morning. Been doin that for the USAF since I was 17....Undecided

Cool
Just read an article on KSL about an app for wind on Utah Lake.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46752274/fol...er-changes
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.