Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Chinook
[Image: 8-DE337-EC-2-BEF-4-A15-A9-A8-C333964-DDBD7.jpg]
Figured I would pass along some knowledge on how to catch landlocked chinook out of the Idaho reservoirs that they inhabit. I accidentally figured it out this spring fishing for Kokanee. I had not had a bite all day on the traditional dodger setup on my leadcore. So I decided to bust out my Walleye tactics a put on a 4 3/4” long Bandit crankbait. I just figured what the hell nothing else is working. I was told there were perch in this reservoir so I chose a perch pattern. Set it at 30ft and I bet within 2 minutes I had a fish on! Came straight to the top and started going airborne.  Looked to me that it was a company. It ended up spitting the crank.  I put it back out and within two or three minutes I had another one on. This one ended up being a landlocked chinook salmon. Put it back out and I would guess about four or five more minutes I had another one on, this one again was a chinook salmon. After that  third fish I put another crank on my second rod. I proceeded to lose four more fish and landed one more chinook salmon. I also caught and landed what we presume to be the state record squawfish. I did not know they grew this big, I had no use for it so we threw it back. We looked up on the fish and game website on our way home and found out that it was probably the new state record. Oh well maybe next time I will catch it and it will be even bigger. Here is a link to the crank baits I was using to catch that chinook salmon. The picture is of the 2 biggest that I was able to catch.
Matt 

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BANDIT-L...4095.uts#!
Nice, I think letting them see something new makes a difference in getting them to hit. I like trying something few others might be trying.
(05-09-2020, 05:27 PM)Duck-Slayer Wrote: [Image: 8-DE337-EC-2-BEF-4-A15-A9-A8-C333964-DDBD7.jpg]
Figured I would pass along some knowledge on how to catch landlocked chinook out of the Idaho reservoirs that they inhabit. I accidentally figured it out this spring fishing for Kokanee. I had not had a bite all day on the traditional dodger setup on my leadcore. So I decided to bust out my Walleye tactics a put on a 4 3/4” long Bandit crankbait. I just figured what the hell nothing else is working. I was told there were perch in this reservoir so I chose a perch pattern. Set it at 30ft and I bet within 2 minutes I had a fish on! Came straight to the top and started going airborne.  Looked to me that it was a company. It ended up spitting the crank.  I put it back out and within two or three minutes I had another one on. This one ended up being a landlocked chinook salmon. Put it back out and I would guess about four or five more minutes I had another one on, this one again was a chinook salmon. After that  third fish I put another crank on my second rod. I proceeded to lose four more fish and landed one more chinook salmon. I also caught and landed what we presume to be the state record squawfish. I did not know they grew this big, I had no use for it so we threw it back. We looked up on the fish and game website on our way home and found out that it was probably the new state record. Oh well maybe next time I will catch it and it will be even bigger. Here is a link to the crank baits I was using to catch that chinook salmon. The picture is of the 2 biggest that I was able to catch.
Matt 

Wow, that is a big lure for Kokanee but I guess not for chinook, cool thanks for the info Matt, I'll have to give that a try. Did you by chance catch any kokes on it? If you were fishing the lake I think you were, I caught a big squaw fish there as well  some years back while fishing for the kokes, first thought it was a monster koke but soon found out it wasn't. Sad Congrats on the chinook.
Great post duck. Thanks.
(05-09-2020, 05:27 PM)Duck-Slayer Wrote: [Image: 8-DE337-EC-2-BEF-4-A15-A9-A8-C333964-DDBD7.jpg]
Matt 

Nice catch on those stix!
Matt 

I caught several at Anderson last summer while fishing for kokes, they stretch your string a little bit, the meat in those were not very pink so I was surprised. I'm planning on heading up to Mt. Home and visit some relatives for a few days in a couple weeks so I'm going to take the boat up and give Anderson a try. Take care Matt and stay safe.