Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard south, trip #2
Weather has been improving last several days so wife and I made plans for a trip to WB yesterday. Got off the trailer and tied to the south marina dock by about 0830. Was getting some poles rigged up with the tackle we wanted to start our day with. Nice ThunderJet launched from ramp behind us, and slowly pulled up along our left side. Had a short "howdy" conversation with ReelFast. 
Headed out the channel, light breeze, plenty of warm sun, water fairly high and very clear. Visibility was all the way to the prop on my motor and maybe a foot or so below that. Water temp started in the 60 ish range and was at 64, reaching toward 65 at 1330 on our departure.  
Didin't have any love after trolling a few lures from the marina mouth toward Freeway Bay.  Dropped anchor about half way between old Coffer Dam area and Freeway Bay corner out in 12 fow. Lots of fish, various sizes showiung up on the sonar. We both put out a couple lines baited with nite crawlers or various Gulp products on Fligs. 
Wife got a good solid hit and run.  She reeled, I got up next to her with the net. The water being so clear was able top see she had a cookie cutter cat, but would at least give her a second bracket fill on the Cat Contest.  Fairly fat female cat got up to within a foot or so beyond net reach and could see the line wrapped behind and around one pect fin. Just about time we both saw the line wrapped, fish took one more lunge, dive and roll, cut the line with the back of left pectoral fin. Confused

Stops in a few other other likely looking fishy spots rendered no further losses, or catches either .Cry 

Decided to call it an "almost no skunk" day about 1330 when the power squadron started hitting the water in great force, creating great waves......Angry.

One bit of unexpected good news,  the fish cleaning station at the south marina is open. 

[Image: 09.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(05-10-2020, 03:32 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Weather has been improving last several days so wife and I made plans for a trip to WB yesterday. Got off the trailer and tied to the south marina dock by about 0830. Was getting some poles rigged up with the tackle we wanted to start our day with. Nice ThunderJet launched from ramp behind us, and slowly pulled up along our left side. Had a short "howdy" conversation with ReelFast. 
Headed out the channel, light breeze, plenty of warm sun, water fairly high and very clear. Visibility was all the way to the prop on my motor and maybe a foot or so below that. Water temp started in the 60 ish range and was at 64, reaching toward 65 at 1330 on our departure.  
Didin't have any love after trolling a few lures from the marina mouth toward Freeway Bay.  Dropped anchor about half way between old Coffer Dam area and Freeway Bay corner out in 12 fow. Lots of fish, various sizes showiung up on the sonar. We both put out a couple lines baited with nite crawlers or various Gulp products on Fligs. 
Wife got a good solid hit and run.  She reeled, I got up next to her with the net. The water being so clear was able top see she had a cookie cutter cat, but would at least give her a second bracket fill on the Cat Contest.  Fairly fat female cat got up to within a foot or so beyond net reach and could see the line wrapped behind and around one pect fin. Just about time we both saw the line wrapped, fish took one more lunge, dive and roll, cut the line with the back of left pectoral fin. Confused

Stops in a few other other likely looking fishy spots rendered no further losses, or catches either .Cry 

Decided to call it an "almost no skunk" day about 1330 when the power squadron started hitting the water in great force, creating great waves......Angry.

One bit of unexpected good news,  the fish cleaning station at the south marina is open. 

Took my daughter and son out Friday for a few hrs. fished from 0930-1330 they boated 5 eyes and 2 wipers trolling crank baits.  [Image: Michelles-wiper.jpg]
PACKFAN pid= Wrote:
Tin-Can pid= Wrote:Weather has been improving last several days so wife and I made plans for a trip to WB yesterday. Got off the trailer and tied to the south marina dock by about 0830. Was getting some poles rigged up with the tackle we wanted to start our day with. Nice ThunderJet launched from ramp behind us, and slowly pulled up along our left side. Had a short "howdy" conversation with ReelFast. 

Took my daughter and son out Friday for a few hrs. fished from 0930-1330 they boated 5 eyes and 2 wipers trolling crank baits.  [Image: Michelles-wiper.jpg]

That's awesome! How deep were you fishing your cranks? Thanks!