Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to HN
I decided to try and beat the wind we are supposed to have most of the week and go back over to Huntington North.
I launched my tube at the state park boat ramp at 7:15 and fished until the wind got bad at 1:15.

I started out with a medium sink line (#3) and a size 8 bead head pond olive leech and picked up an 18" wiper, a few rainbows, and some 15" to 16" chubs.  I switched over to my fast sink line (#8) and stayed with the same leech and picked up a few more rainbows and a couple more chubs.  It was the same old story, I hooked more fish than I caught. Sad

The water temperature was 59-61 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 6' - 7'.  The reservoir is 80% full and dropping.

The fishing was pretty good but the increase in water temperature from the last trip has made the chubs more active.  The good thing is, none of the chubs were small so the wipers must be taking care of the youngsters. Smile

There were quite a few folks camped at the State Park but not many of them fishing.  There was only one boat on the water while I was there.

Now that the ice is off Scofield and the reservoir is 85% full a couple of us are going to try there on Thursday if the weather will cooperate.

Thanks for the report. If I wanted to catch a wiper from a float tube, do you think Huntington North is a better bet, or Willard?  I'm not picky about size.
(05-12-2020, 09:56 PM)_6x_ Wrote: Thanks for the report. If I wanted to catch a wiper from a float tube, do you think Huntington North is a better bet, or Willard?  I'm not picky about size.

There are several good places to catch wipers.  I'm not sure where you live but there is probably a good wiper fishery close to you.  The DWR has been putting them in Otter Creek, Minersville, Newcastle, East Canyon, Red Fleet, Jordanelle, and Willard Bay.  They also put some in a few urban ponds too.

Huntington North is close to me that's why I like it there.  I have only fished Willard Bay a couple of times.  One time I got skunked and the other time was this time of year and I caught nine 17" to 20" wipers out of the south marina.
If you want to catch a wiper from a tube, May and early June is prime time.

Good luck and hang on.
Smile