Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the **** happened here?!
Sad 
Hey everyone, been a part of this site since 2004 

Have flags with the old logo
fish with an old crew from here. 

took a internet break for like a year and i come back to a website that takes FOREVER to load 
man i missed this place but wowzers is this windows 95 processing power being worked on? 

anyways we're hitting up pineview sunday I'll report out, 
Hopefully 

if it will load
yeah but there's new<b> quote <bp>,  colored font and you can git rep points a
i think theyre like special e-cookies
git enough and i guess you can watch the premium forum not load
man id sure like 2019 back
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(05-16-2020, 02:21 AM)CHUMBUCKET Wrote: Hey everyone, been a part of this site since 2004 

Have flags with the old logo
fish with an old crew from here. 

took a internet break for like a year and i come back to a website that takes FOREVER to load 
man i missed this place but wowzers is this windows 95 processing power being worked on? 

anyways we're hitting up pineview sunday I'll report out, 
Hopefully 

if it will load

The software now running BFT is My Bulletin Board (MyBB).  MyBB is a free and open source, community-based forum software project managed, developed, and supported by volunteers. Since its conception in 2002, the MyBB Group has been committed to developing the best forum software possible.  There have been over 60 Versions released since it started in 2002.  You'd think they would have figured all this out by now; apparently not. Angry
There are about a gazillion open source software packages available. Firefox, the hundreds of Linux operating systems and programs, games, and much more. Some are excellent, like Firefox and Linux Mint (both of which I use.)

Apparently, MyBB is not one of the better ones. But it's free!
MyBB is actually pretty well received on most sites. It's got tens of thousands of installations. The problem here is either the hosting provider or the configuration of myBB / phpBB.
(05-18-2020, 12:56 AM)fishnotphish Wrote: MyBB is actually pretty well received on most sites. It's got tens of thousands of installations. The problem here is either the hosting provider or the configuration of myBB / phpBB.

As I open the site on my PC, there is a small box that pops up in the lower left corner corner of my MS Edge browser window.  The message says: 'Establishing a secure connection . . .'  This happens everytime I open BFT or make a change such as switching to a new thread, or replying to a thread, or postin a reply/new thread.

And all too often, the wait to establish that connection is too long and Edge gives me a message saying BFT took too long to connect.  Sometimes, I can click the REFESH button and it will then connect, but not always.  Since I'm not an IT geek, I don't know how to tell Edge to wait longer for the connection.  But it would appear that the security checks are taking too long for Edge.  Same thing happens on Firefox.  Would that be the configuration you mentioned fishnotphish?

Here is the Edge screenshot.

Here is the Firefox screenshot.

With that, I'm out of here until it gets sorted out.  I'll check back on Mondays until it gets fixed.  Y'all have fun dealing with it.  ?
This really sucks, it took me 4 attempts just to get this far. I have to use Firefox if I want to post which is not a problem. I also run MS Edge but it won't let me post, one would think with new up grades & updates BFT would be more compatible. Making all the attempts to get here I go thru a connection timeout as its taking too long open.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(05-18-2020, 12:09 PM)dubob Wrote: "dubob" pid='1099878' dateline='1589803785'As I open the site on my PC, there is a small box that pops up in the lower left corner corner of my MS Edge browser window.  The message says: 'Establishing a secure connection . . .'  This happens everytime I open BFT or make a change such as switching to a new thread, or replying to a thread, or postin a reply/new thread. And all too often, the wait to establish that connection is too long and Edge gives me a message saying BFT took too long to connect.  Sometimes, I can click the REFESH button and it will then connect, but not always.  Since I'm not an IT geek, I don't know how to tell Edge to wait longer for the connection.  But it would appear that the security checks are taking too long for Edge.  Same thing happens on Firefox.  Would that be the configuration you mentioned fishnotphish?

I see the same thing with Chrome, one thing that will help is hitting the back button, if refresh does not work, then trying again. When replying I will high light my reply, then hit the copy button above, the two pages, right by the scissors, just in case it times out before posting.

Bduck- this problem has nothing to do with the upgrade, the slow loading is a result of the hacker that go into the site several weeks ago. IT has not been able to find what the hacker did to make the site run so slow, so the owner is looking for a new IT person to fix this issue. It was either leave the site up as it is now or shut it down completely like they did the last time. This issue will be repaired in time, I hope they take up fishnotphish's kind offer to help fix this issue, sooner rather than later.
Quote:Bduck- this problem has nothing to do with the upgrade, the slow loading is a result of the hacker that go into the site several weeks ago. IT has not been able to find what the hacker did to make the site run so slow, so the owner is looking for a new IT person to fix this issue. It was either leave the site up as it is now or shut it down completely like they did the last time. This issue will be repaired in time, I hope they take up fishnotphish's kind offer to help fix this issue, sooner rather than later.
The upgrade may of may not be the sole cause of the errors we are all experiencing, but it certainly failed to prevent hacking from happening. The upgrade being so porly done also contributed to vintage logins being unable to connect and new accounts needing to be set up. Also it failed to work with internet providers that were trouble free on the old platform like Centurylink.net.  Errors like Unable to connect to database, Sorry be back soon, Timing out when connecting or posting all indicate poor planning or incompetence. I for one would take the old site over this one any time.
These problems are just the ones I have experienced the list for all users is surely much larger.
The only saving grace has not been the developers of the new site but the patience and dedication of our staedfast group of moderators that have made every effort to help each of us! THANKS!!
Try flushing your DNS setting on your computer. Regular internet usage causes your computer to automatically cache IP addresses and other domain name system results. Clearing (or "flushing") this cache will refresh the data, getting rid of outdated data that may be causing connection issues. Here is how to do it 
  1. Navigate to the desktop.
  2. Hold down the Windows key and press R. (This will open the Run dialogue.)
  3. Type cmd and press Enter. (This will open a command prompt.)
  4. Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
  5. Type ipconfig /registerdns and press Enter
  6. Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  7. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  8. Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  9. Reboot the computer
MacOS® 10.7 and 10.8
  1. Click Applications.
  2. Click Utilities.
  3. Double-click the Terminal application.
  4. Type the following command:
    Code:
    sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder
     Warning: To run this command, you will need to know the computer's Admin account password.
 MacOS 10.5 and 10.6
  1. Click Applications.
  2. Click Utilities.
  3. Double-click the Terminal application.
  4. Type the following command: 
    Code:
    sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

[font]This has helped me.[/font]
None of that works with Windows 10.  I tried.
(05-18-2020, 04:07 PM)dubob Wrote: None of that works with Windows 10.  I tried.

That's odd I support Windows 10 and it works fine on our computers I have tried on.
(05-18-2020, 04:32 PM)big_griggs Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 04:07 PM)dubob Wrote: None of that works with Windows 10.  I tried.

That's odd I support Windows 10 and it works fine on our computers I have tried on.

This problem is not related to DNS or to DHCP (which is what the ipconfig /release / renew stuff is). It's not related to the client or browser. There is some issue on the server side of the site.

It acts like a site that is under a moderate denial of service attack, where the resources of the server are overwhelmed and only after a few refreshes and a little patience the actual site comes up. But it feels like the resources are really taxed to the point of dropping traffic.
Site is back up and working..................for now
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool