Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tube, rigging ?
Just picked this up for $20.  2 for $40.  Now to rig with rod holder a PVC depth sounder mount.  Any suggestions or pics of what you did would be great. [Image: 20200528-114805.jpg]
First, I gotta ask.  Is that tube Kosher or is "New" misspelled?

Here are a couple of writeups that might help.
(05-28-2020, 07:42 PM)TubeDude Wrote: First, I gotta ask.  Is that tube Kosher or is "New" misspelled?

It's only kosher if you are catching fish with scales.   Big Grin

Great deal on the tube though.  Tribe of Israel discount?
Spell check don't do grammar.

Saw it on KSL, called, told sold. I said if they no show, call...
Got the call.
When I got there, everything was as advertised, some garage dust, that's it.
I don't know the model. It looks like it was meant for packing and there are almost no extra rings to snap on to for home made rod and sounder holders. entry line I'm sure, but for $20, each and to get a pair I am happy and excited to get customising.
(05-28-2020, 11:43 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Spell check don't do grammar.

Saw it on KSL, called, told sold.  I said if they no show, call...
Got the call. 
When I got there, everything was as advertised, some garage dust, that's it.
I don't know the model.  It looks like it was meant for packing and there are almost no extra rings to snap on to for home made rod and sounder holders. entry line I'm sure, but for $20, each and to get a pair I am happy and excited to get customising.
I was one of the early pioneers of float tubing.  Actually made several of my first ones.  When the commercial models started appearing they were a big improvement over homemade but lacked a lot.  Minimal pockets, no D rings, no rod holders, etc.  So I made do by "lashing" what I needed onto the tubes with nylon rope or clothesline wire.  Today's models are light years ahead of those, but some "bare bones" models still require some "tie-down" technology if you are going to add enhancements.

You would be welcome to bring your craft over to my Tubeatorium (garage).  I can look it over and make suggestions based on the actual construction and what you want to accomplish.  I can't even begin to estimate how many floatation craft I have modified for myself and others over the years.  Shoot me a PM if you want and I will provide my address and directions.
(05-28-2020, 07:42 PM)TubeDude Wrote: First, I gotta ask.  Is that tube Kosher or is "New" misspelled?

Thanks, you're the master.

That's very nice of you to offer that. I will shoot you a PM.
"I was one of the early pioneers of float tubing..."

Young man, when I was a little boy, playing with baby pterodactyls ...

Ronald   Smile
(05-29-2020, 03:54 AM)RonPaulFan Wrote: I was one of the early pioneers of float tubing...

Young man, when I was a little boy, playing with baby pterodactyls ...

Ronald   Smile
Yeah, and the first float tubes were inflated stone.  And ya had to watch out for ichthyosaurs.
TD. Did you also whip up a set of plans for the Ark and teach Noah what a cubit was? Lol.

I kid of course.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(05-29-2020, 05:20 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: TD. Did you also whip up a set of plans for the Ark and teach Noah what a cubit was?  Lol.

I kid of course.
Nope.  Din't have no PVC in those days so I couldn't offer any help.  I had no clue what a cubit was neither.  Told him to Google it and he just got a weird far off look in his eyes.

ARK! ARK!
A cubit is roughly equal to two furlongs per fortnight, minus a shekel or two
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Making some progress.  All held on with bungie's for now.  I need to get a couple more "T" fittings for rod holders and figure out the sounder/transducer[Image: 20200602-174722.jpg] and/battery mounts.
(06-03-2020, 11:33 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Making some progress.  All held on with bungie's for now.  I need to get a couple more "T" fittings for rod holders and figure out the sounder/transducer[Image: 20200602-174722.jpg] and/battery mounts.
Progress.  With that frame there are endless possibilities for installing other goodies.  The offer is always open to bring it by my place so that I can show you some options.

Might suggest some good strapping with securing buckles instead of bungee cords.  More secure.  And if you make the attachments before your final air top-off they will hold even better,.
Finished prototype ready for field testing.
[Image: 20200606-131401.jpg]

2nd prototype ready for field testing.  No sounder on this one yet.  This one in ABS because I had most all the fittings but one "T" already.  The back swept rod holders are to keep the rods low and out of the way.  The drink holder was an afterthought when I saw the fitting.  I don't know if I will make this one "L" shaped like the PVC or if I will use a couple of 22 angle fittings to make it curve around the tube to be more stable.
[Image: 20200606-132334.jpg]

(06-07-2020, 05:14 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Finished prototype ready for field testing.
[Image: 20200606-131401.jpg]

2nd prototype ready for field testing.  No sounder on this one yet.  This one in ABS because I had most all the fittings but one "T" already.  The back swept rod holders are to keep the rods low and out of the way.  The drink holder was an afterthought when I saw the fitting.  I don't know if I will make this one "L" shaped like the PVC or if I will use a couple of 22 angle fittings to make it curve around the tube to be more stable.

You've been busy.  Looks like you know your way around PVC and ABS.  Next is to get out on the water and see how it fishes.  As I can attest, once you get started it never ends.  Always some little tweak or addition you think of while on the water...and then work it out after you get home again.  
It's all part of the adventure. More fun customising yourself. I read your link above, nice writing. Very informative. Between that and Youtube it was off to the races.
All I think I need at the moment is a long bolt (3 1/2 inches) to go through the frame and transducer swing arm. I hope I can find a big wing nut to go on the outside to make it easy to loosen or tighten up or down position.

[Image: 20200606-114632.jpg]

I need a new battery. I'm just going to put it into the pocket of the tube with the excess transducer and battery cord.
Any battery recommendations? Is 7Ah big enough or is a 10 or 12 Ah better? My finder has no gps or fancy things I think the draw is 150mil amps. I will stick with lead/acid sealed because I'm cheap like that.
(06-08-2020, 02:58 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: It's all part of the adventure. More fun customising yourself.  I read your link above, nice writing.  Very informative.  Between that and Youtube it was off to the races.
All I think I need at the moment is a long bolt (3 1/2 inches) to go through the frame and transducer swing arm.  I hope I can find a big wing nut to go on the outside to make it easy to loosen or tighten up or down position.

[Image: 20200606-114632.jpg]

I need a new battery.  I'm just going to put it into the pocket of the tube with the excess transducer and battery cord.
Any battery recommendations?  Is 7Ah big enough or is a 10 or 12 Ah better?  My finder has no gps or fancy things I think the draw is 150mil amps.  I will stick with lead/acid sealed because I'm cheap like that.
I have found several longer bolts and wing nuts that fit in the nuts and bolts department of Lowes.  

If you have a basic sonar...no color and no "advanced" functions like GPS, down imaging, etc...a 7Ah SLA battery will run a whole day of fishing.  That's all I used to use.  But once I moved up to a Helix with color I found I needed a 9 Ah if I wanted to stay on the water more than a half day.  And the 9 Ah is only very slightly bigger and more expensive.  Just be sure you also get a good low amperage SLA charger with an indicator light...and a voltage tester to check periodically.  Get in the habit of topping off the battery before a trip...and putting it on the charger as soon as you get home.  SLA batteries are not meant for deep cycle use and it is not good to keep running them to failure between charges.
A nice 3 1/2 inch stainless carriage bolt was perfect and I splurged and bought one of the plastic handles with the nut inside instead of wing nuts. The battery is another story.
I have been on a quest. The battery is turning out to be the hardest thing to piece together. Yes. I can buy from Interstate, Intermountain, NAPA, all in town, all in stock, all over the counter, all double what I can buy online for. It's hard to buy local at 2x the price. Cabelas said they had one, (8 Ah) but after driving there, no bueno. If I buy online, Monday at the earliest, Thursday afternoon more likely...I am about to get out the duct tape and 8 "D" batteries and make one just to shakedown cruise with it.

I have decided that due to the likeliness that I will be upgrading my sounder in the future I am going with a 12 amp. That will lessen the percent of drawdown each use as well and prolong battery life. I also have to outfit the second tube and I will be looking to both color and GPS sounders for that. Pretty low budget, $200. Looking at the color Piranha max and the color Garmin Striker 4. The Hook 5 with GPS is on closeout.