Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An upsetting situation
https://www.ksl.com/article/46758195/ive...umped-bass

This really made me mad. 
Many of us come from generations of fisherman that harvest fish to feed family and friends. 
To see a pile of about 50 meals rotting on the ground disgusts me. 
Grandpa would bring home a couple buckets of white bass and we would spend hours or whatever it took until the work was done. Then, the remains of the filleted fish would go into the gardens to fertilize the produce growing there. 
Those are truly fond memories. 
If anyone reads the above article and has any information, please consider reporting it.
Man I agree with you. What a terrible waste. Syracuse, that's just west of me. Sure wish I knew who dumped those fish. Not only is it illegal, it's downright immoral.  I know it would be lots of work, but there could have been lots of good fish tacos made from those, and at the least, lots of bags of frozen bait for Utah Lake Catfish.  Angry
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Read that article last night as well, it's upsetting to see that kind of wasteful abandonment. I do hope they find the individual(s) responsible.
Is Utah Lake the only lake in the state with White Bass?
Yes it is.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I don't think so.  Delta had them when I was a kid, so if that is true, it is probable that white bass are still there.

UL is for sure the most known for white bass.
(05-29-2020, 12:55 PM)filletedalive Wrote: https://www.ksl.com/article/46758195/ive...umped-bass

This really made me mad. 
Many of us come from generations of fisherman that harvest fish to feed family and friends. 
To see a pile of about 50 meals rotting on the ground disgusts me. 
Grandpa would bring home a couple buckets of white bass and we would spend hours or whatever it took until the work was done. Then, the remains of the filleted fish would go into the gardens to fertilize the produce growing there. 
Those are truly fond memories. 
If anyone reads the above article and has any information, please consider reporting it.
Until about 10 years ago that was our Superbowl Chow. I saw that story the other day, Sucks.
I don't know why they didn't just release the fish, rather than wasting them.... Especially that many fish... Maybe they'll think twice next time and let them go, if they don't plan on taking care of them... Kind of funny they haven't been bragging about that catch, I haven't heard many good white bass stories this year, so they will probably let it slip sometime... Guess that's why I'm a lower limits fan... I have a hard time seeing why anyone should need more than 10 to 15 fish per day... Even if they only bite well a couple times a year... But my family won't eat fish, so I guess my opinion doesn't count for much... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(06-01-2020, 05:38 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I don't know why they didn't just release the fish, rather than wasting them.... Especially that many fish... Maybe they'll think twice next time and let them go, if they don't plan on taking care of them...  Kind of funny they haven't been bragging about that catch, I haven't heard many good white bass stories this year, so they will probably let it slip sometime...  Guess that's why I'm a lower limits fan...  I have a hard time seeing why anyone should need more than 10 to 15 fish per day... Even if they only bite well a couple times a year...  But my family won't eat fish, so I guess my opinion doesn't count for much... Later Jeff
Anglers have far less impact on the white bass population than water level changes, predator numbers, etc.  But harvesting everything you catch...just because you can...just ain't right neither.  Unfortunately, there is always the angling contingent that measures the success of a trip by poundage brought home...not by the esthetics of the experience.  These same "sportsmen" keep limits of trout to show off and then either give them away or put them in the freezer until the millenium...with few or none ever making it to the table.
Gunnison Bend in Delta has WB, as does Deer Creek ( compliments of some idiot bucket biologist). Not sure where other illegal plants have been made. Utah fishermen need to get rid of the "keep everything" attitude and enjoy catching fish, keeping some for a meal, then releasing the rest. Back in the day, when Yuba was kicking out huge perch through the ice, anglers would come off the ice with 200, 250, 300 jumbo's. TD can attest that to process that many fish, no matter how good you are, is a 6-8 hour job. No one is going to stand on the ice for 6-8 hours catching that many fish, then stand at a sink processing them after the drive home. We would keep 15-20, and that was a MAJOR chore after a full day on the ice !! A habit in Utah is to "catch your limit, take em home and put em in the freezer, after throwing away the venison from the fall that is freezer burned and inedible, then letting the fish get freezer burned and thrown away to make room for the new batch of venison in the fall. Keep a few for a meal, let the rest go, be SELECTIVE in your harvest !!!
That's horrible, I hope they can catch who done this and they lose there hunting and fishing priveliges for life.
(06-01-2020, 10:52 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's horrible, I hope they can catch who done this and they lose there hunting and fishing priveliges for life.

I agree that it is not acceptable, but that punishment might be a tad extreme.
Yes, it would be a harsh punishment, but I think that fish and game fines are not enough to discourage people from doing these kind of things.
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources:
2 cited in case of 260 illegally dumped white bass, DWR says

https://www.ksl.com/article/46763040/2-c...s-dwr-says

Ronald Smile
(06-02-2020, 04:56 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yes, it would be a harsh punishment, but I think that fish and game fines are not enough to discourage people from doing these kind of things.
They turned themselves in and the fine could be $10 per fish ($2,600).  That should leave a lasting impression I would think.  One is reportedly a juvenile.  His folks will not be happy about this I'm sure.  It may sound mean, but I hope the judge makes them pay the full amount.  Ignorance of the law is no excuse!