Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach report 6-2-20 Now the cats are on!
I went to LB quite early yesterday. That didn't turn out to be super-necessary as the cats bit steadily all day. In fact, I averaged three cats an hour or one every 20 minutes. But that doesn't come close to telling how frenetic it got at times. I had several doubles and even a triple or two. I totaled out at 27. A lot of them were smallish but every one fought like a champ. My best was a 27.5". Still looking for that one that's 28.5" or bigger to give me a bump in the contest.

They liked both wb and strawberry chicken. The flaits in various shades of green were top pick but I think that my Santee rig produced about as many. TDs huge perple purch flig produced a few, too. 

Water temperatures ranged from 66 F to 72 F. Depths were about 9 to 10.5'. Due to the way the sun glare hit me I had to stroll north early. I went more than a mile out, catching all the way. I curved around to the west as the day went on and ended up down by the orchards after starting just outside the channel mouth. It was really uncomfortable in the waves that were coming at me. They were big swells that felt like I was constantly being hit by wakes. Sometimes it felt like they were coming from all different directions. I would just stand up to do something when it felt like someone gave me a good hard shove. I was clinging to anything and everything to keep from going overboard. Not easy to do when you are trying to net a fish.The wind had been forecast to be in the 2-3 mph range. So much for forecasts. Eventually it did settle down. I worked my way on around past the orchards, moving closer in as I went. Late in the afternoon I got as close as 60' from shore before getting hung up on rocks. It wasn't all fun and games all day; I tried several times to just drift but the boat would get all out of shape and the lines would start to cross. I don't have a speedometer so I just have to guess how fast I'm going, using different settings depending on whether going into or with the wind. But slow and slower seem to work best.

That was my 24th outing of the season. I've landed 164 cats for an average of 6.8 per day. They have averaged 23.5" long. I have recorded more 24"ers than any other measurement, with 22"ers close behind.

I'm getting ready to head out again here in a bit. I was so tired last night that I didn't put the charger on the batteries until early this morning, so once they get a good enough charge on them I'll be good to go again.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Great report Craig! I may get out for a bit tomorrow morning and it is good to know they are cooperating.
The cat action is hot and heavy now. Good to see everybody out taking advantage of fair weather and great cattin'.
I fished Provo Bay in my kayak the past two days and the cats are anxious to play but they play dirty. Most of them are hanging out among last years stubbed off phrags and fishing is hand-to-hand combat while fighting both the fish and the phrags. Hooked many that got off as they tangled and could not be dislodged. The kayak provides good access but man, getting the cats out of the phrags is tough. 

I have had my best luck with white bass either dangled under a bobber or, where possible, dragging behind the yak. Starting to see many of the big males begin their morph to "blue cats." A few starting to show battle wounds as disputes over nesting areas arise. 

I caught some good cats over at the Knolls last week and hope to get back over there as the weather permits. Plan to see if I can talk Craig into going with me next time. Hopefully we can do a double whammy on them. Also want to try a night shift at the BS inlet for some big night-feeders.

Looks like a little blustery weather coming toward this weekend so might use a couple of days to stock up on white bass. 

Best to all,
BLK
hey craig when ya ready to come bring that boat to the west side and look for some 30"ers Wink
"In fact, I averaged three cats an hour or one every 20 minutes." Are you sure that 3 cats an hour is one every 20 minutes? (LOL)
Kent, you lost me. Want to explain what you mean?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-05-2020, 06:17 AM)catchinon Wrote: Kent, you lost me. Want to explain what you mean?

It just caught me as humorous that you had to point out that a fish every twenty minutes is 3 an hour.  Sorry, I try not to respond to "the voices" but it is a struggle.
It's all good, Kent. I guess it is kinda redundant or tautological or something. Was just expressing the same thing in two different ways of looking at it. Kind of like posting a length and a weight so those who key on one or the other will see how big the fish was. Ah, big, how ambiguous that word can be.

(06-07-2020, 03:56 AM)catchinon Wrote: It's all good, Kent. I guess it is kinda redundant or tautological or something. Was just expressing the same thing in two different ways of looking at it. Kind of like posting a length and a weight so those who key on one or the other will see how big the fish was. Ah, big, how ambiguous that word can be.
Another inverse reciprocal...from the department of redundancy department.
(06-07-2020, 10:58 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 03:56 AM)catchinon Wrote: It's all good, Kent. I guess it is kinda redundant or tautological or something. Was just expressing the same thing in two different ways of looking at it. Kind of like posting a length and a weight so those who key on one or the other will see how big the fish was. Ah, big, how ambiguous that word can be.
Another inverse reciprocal...from the department of redundancy department.
Here also is an additional rule from The Grammar Police, too: Use no commas, which are unnecessary. 

One an other think: weather that one cat is a mail or fee male: I need to run that passed the DWR division of the Do Not Resuscitate. I get Carried a way. But its fin some met uh mes too mess a round wit lang goo age. A nether think; its a good think we have spiel Chequers too hep use. Or thee inner net. Wee awl leaf out  are ad a letter or to ounce and a wile. Ewe half know i dear who mini miss steaks eye make that I half ta figs be fore eye kin post on if this massages. Thinks for glistening. Me Apollo gees. Peas forget me.

It's all good.  My mom used to bug me for me saying, "bare naked".  She would say if someone is bare they are naked, because they mean the same thing.  Funny thing is that I still use that phrase.