Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member and Bear Lake questions
After a year of reading the forum I decided to join in. I have lived in the northern Utah/southern Idaho area for 50+ years and made my first trip to Bear Lake on Monday. The catching was a bit on the slow side with 4 cuts from 12 to 20 inches,but I've had worse days. The thing that surprised me the most was the lack of Mark's on the sonar. I saw one cloud of Cisco's and a couple of Lakers in 6 hrs.
So, where do the fish hide in that lake? Or is the fishing normally slow?
Almost forgot to mention, I launched at Garden City and fished the south end with spoons and crankbaits spread from the surface to 50 ft deep with all 4 fish being caught in less than 10 ft.
Any help, comments, and ideas would be appreciated.
Welcome to the site Greg and thanks for the report. You did pretty good catching 4 and not marking many fish is pretty normal there, unless you are in the right place. The best fishing for most of us that fish BL is from Sept to the Spring, before the Cutt spawn. The Rock pile, near Ideal beach is a popular location to fish as is the East side, between Rainbow cove and First point, in front of Cisco beach is my favorite location to fish in the Fall.
Welcome to BFT!
Thanks guys.
I have very little experience fishing big water. After more research I will give it another shot in the fall, it sure has nice scenery.
Yea, BL is a beautiful lake, it's just a tough one to fish this time of the year. Here is a link to our archive board for BL, it goes back around 18 year, so lots of info there on what to use, where to fish and the times of the year that are best to fish there.
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=85