Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Gorge Run
Replaced a defective battery switch on my boat, replaced ac clutch on truck, got the yard mowed and removed some low lying tree limbs chopping them up to fit in trash cans. Now that the after storm chores and boat & truck maintenance is done I'm going reward myself with a turn & burn trip to the Gorge in search of some kokes Thursday with my little fishing buddy. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Good luck Roger
This was one of the toughest days I've had to endure koke fishing. Had 5 hookups which 4 of them felt like they had some shoulders up to the point where they self released and the 5th one was a dink. Then after that it was nothing going on for a long while. Listening to the radio others was having no love catching either. I picked a 2lb pup but not sure how long I was dragging it around. Finally got a koke into the boat worthy enough to keep. Decided to try one area before ending the day. Marked a lot on the graph at all depths but issue was max depth 45'. As I was dragging the presentation thru this population I finally got a taker. This one fought stripping line going deep making me think its a koke, at least it felt like one. After wrestling with it for a few minutes I could see it 20' from the boat that it was of good size, however it didn't have the silver features. When I went to net it took another chance at stripping line. The fight was on for one last hoorah. My thoughts were a feisty laker. Once again prior to this brute going into net I caught a silver flash where the sun had hit it just right as it rolled in the water. Now I'm a little Confused what it is because I haven't been able to get a good visual on it. Havoc was being wreaked at the net now and when finally netted there was its own version of a barrel roll twisting the net. As I finally got it in the boat my dog was adding to the thrill also. Now it's revealing time of what caused such a great heart thumping fight. It turned out to be a cutthroat, by Strawberry's standards it was a slot buster measuring 23" 4½lbs. Not even the Strawberry cutts don't put up any effort to let you know they are hooked up. So I brought home a cutt, a pup & a koke- A HAPPY MEAL
[Image: P6110009.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Nice cut Roger, sorry the kokes didn’t want to play in typical gorge fashion
Hey a Gorge trifecta. Maybe not exactly what ya had planned, but I bet not many others on the lake hit the pick three
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-12-2020, 03:21 PM)Bduck Wrote: This was one of the toughest days I've had to endure koke fishing. Had 5 hookups which 4 of them felt like they had some shoulders up to the point where they self released and the 5th one was a dink. Then after that it was nothing going on for a long while. Listening to the radio others was having no love catching either. I picked a 2lb pup but not sure how long I was dragging it around. Finally got a koke into the boat worthy enough to keep. Decided to try one area before ending the day. Marked a lot on the graph at all depths but issue was max depth 45'. As I was dragging the presentation thru this population I finally got a taker. This one fought stripping line going deep making me think its a koke, at least it felt like one. After wrestling with it for a few minutes I could see it 20' from the boat that it was of good size, however it didn't have the silver features. When I went to net it took another chance at stripping line. The fight was on for one last hoorah. My thoughts were a feisty laker. Once again prior to this brute going into net I caught a silver flash where the sun had hit it just right as it rolled in the water. Now I'm a little Confused what it is because I haven't been able to get a good visual on it. Havoc was being wreaked at the net now and when finally netted there was its own version of a barrel roll twisting the net. As I finally got it in the boat my dog was adding to the thrill also. Now it's revealing time of what caused such a great heart thumping fight. It turned out to be a cutthroat, by Strawberry's standards it was a slot buster measuring 23" 4½lbs. Not even the Strawberry cutts don't put up any effort to let you know they are hooked up. So I brought home a cutt, a pup & a koke- A HAPPY MEAL
Nice report and pic Roger, this is the second report I've read where the koke catching has been tough at the Gorge. Nice that you caught a cutt that actually put up a fight, sounds like they are really doing good there. What type of lure or setup did you use for the cutt?
I am really sure that is a brown trout! Doesn't look like a cutthroat at all; ie. too many spots, no jaw slash, too silver. Nice catch!
(06-13-2020, 07:07 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote: I am really sure that is a brown trout! Doesn't look like a cutthroat at all; ie. too many spots, no jaw slash, too silver. Nice catch!

I never clicked on his pic to enlarge it but after your statement I did and I'd have to agree, looks like a brown to me too, especially with the square tail. Besides cutts don't fight Wink.
(06-14-2020, 12:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-13-2020, 07:07 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote: I am really sure that is a brown trout! Doesn't look like a cutthroat at all; ie. too many spots, no jaw slash, too silver. Nice catch!

I never clicked on his pic to enlarge it but after your statement I did and I'd have to agree, looks like a brown to me too, especially with the square tail. Besides cutts don't fight Wink.
That thought ran thru my mind when I first saw that it was a brown. A brown has more spots than the cutts. This brute had a faint red throat slash which swayed me to think a cutt. I stand corrected after looking back at some of my pics that the spots on a cutt resemble a brown but only on the upper half of their body. The brown spots cover both sides. 
Harrisville UT
(06-14-2020, 12:01 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

That thought ran thru my mind when I first saw that it was a brown. A brown has more spots than the cutts. This brute had a faint red throat slash which swayed me to think a cutt. I stand corrected after looking back at some of my pics that the spots on a cutt resemble a brown but only on the upper half of their body. The brown spots cover both sides. 
Harrisville UT