Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB three reports in one
I've been catfishing three times since I last checked in. Each time I got 18. The first day the water was actually clean and clear green. It was fun to be able to see the fish as I brought them to the boat and released them. Though some people don't see a lot of beauty in a catfish they looked sleek, sporty and colorful. The last couple of times it was pretty cool, only about 61 degrees at the outset. I think it got up to 70 before I left. The catching was hot early on (I caught 5 in the first hour yesterday) but dropped off at midday. I had to go more than an hour between fish then. If you're happy with a nice number of fish and don't want to eke out just a few more you might as well go home by noon. I probably did best with small pieces of cut bass; the bigger pieces seemed not to make it in their mouths well enough to get them hooked up. I found that not being too quick to pick up a dancing rod paid off. Just wait until they pull hard and bend the rod over for a few seconds before you pick it up. I did set the hook after I was sure the fish were on with the fligs; they are made on a 5/0 sickle hook that often hooks the fish just like circle hooks but I like to be certain with them. Remember, trying to set the hook with a circle hook will often pull it right out of their mouths.

Wb was the bait of choice. I had success with all colors of gorilla/Big Red fligs, a clown pattern flait and a Santee rig with orange and chartreuse peg float (see my previous post if you want to know how to tie a Santee rig). You can get fligs from TubeDude, and Piscophilic designed the flaits; I bet he would be happy to tell you how to tie your own.

I dragged bait along the bottom with one of the above rigs to keep the bait up a few inches. A half-ounce weight was just right to keep it skimming along the bottom: you can tell if you got it right by the rod tip twitching; if you see it stop a cat may have picked up your bait and is running around with it without bring the line tight--an excellent way to get tangled lines. I used bell sinkers but they tend to get hung up on rocks so I stayed away from those areas, mainly close in by the springs and the orchards. Pencil weights and other designs will reduce the snagging. Gotta get me some of those. I went out as far as the island but if you get too close you will start hitting rocks. I caught fish all along the way. It varied from 9 to 10 fow. When I strolled along the springs and orchards I kept at least 500-800 yards out where the water is at least 10 feet deep. I went fairly slow, definitely less than 1 mph by my guess and closer to .5.

Here's my super-secret plan to catch big fish and score high in the contest: catch lots of fish. I figure if I catch a bunch some of them will be extra-large. Yesterday I went over the 200 mark on my way to at least 400. Ice-sled once told me that one year he caught 700. That's my stretch goal. So far I have averaged 8 fish per trip and that's rising as we're into the hot part of the season. If I fish 2-3 days a week... well you do the math. Now I need to figure out how to target the big ones. Mine have averaged 23" for the season.

It's being fun. Hope to see you out there sometime.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Messages In This Thread
LB three reports in one - by catchinon - 06-11-2020, 02:26 PM
RE: LB three reports in one - by _6x_ - 06-11-2020, 03:22 PM
RE: LB three reports in one - by Mooseman75 - 06-12-2020, 08:44 AM
RE: LB three reports in one - by fast_randy - 06-12-2020, 03:25 PM
RE: LB three reports in one - by Piscophilic - 06-13-2020, 01:51 AM
RE: LB three reports in one - by Cowboypirate - 06-13-2020, 01:17 PM
RE: LB three reports in one - by Thorny - 06-14-2020, 09:53 PM
RE: LB three reports in one - by catchinon - 06-15-2020, 02:35 AM