Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Island 06-27-20
Fished Utah Lake today, with my grandson.  First tried to catch a white bass or two, for bait, but that was a no go.  Then I moved over to my honey hole that an older gentleman showed me many moons ago.  The catching, for catfish, was good but I got tired of snagging and breaking off, so then we moved to Bird Island.  The catching wasn't quite as good, but it was fairly steady.  We fished until about 3:30 and caught ~50 between us.  Grandson took honors for the large fish at 28 3/4".

I had other bait, that I used, but I also tried a Gulp Minnow.  I found that the catfish, in Utah Lake, will bite a Gulp Minnow just fine, just like the catfish in Willard and a big plus with Gulp Minnows is that the bait stays on better than just about any other bait.

We fished near two other boats, at Bird island, most of the time and we were puzzled why they were motoring around so much just before they left.  We figured they were looking for something.  When they left we were fishing about 2 blocks away from them.  I decided to move over into the general area where they were fishing to try before we headed home.  When I pulled up my anchor attached to my anchor was another anchor rope.  I pulled on that anchor rope and pulled up an anchor.  It was obvious that this was what they were searching for just before they left.

If someone can describe their boat and describe the anchor I will gladly return it to them.  If not, it will make a good additional anchor for my boat.[Image: Jordan.png]
Sounds like some good 'cat'ching times, and an anchor as well. Nice job!
Sounds like a great day on the water.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-28-2020, 01:01 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: I had other bait, that I used, but I also tried a Gulp Minnow.  I found that the catfish, in Utah Lake, will bite a Gulp Minnow just fine, just like the catfish in Willard and a big plus with Gulp Minnows is that the bait stays on better than just about any other bait.
I grew up in Texas and fished for catfish almost all the time. I don't target them here because of other fish to chase such as walleye, perch, crappie, bass, and wiper. I used to use either chicken hearts or chicken gizzards and they worked well and were quite durable. Also, beef liver works well too and it stays on the hook and is durable. I am not sure if you tried those or not so I thought I would share a bit of my catfishing knowledge from my younger days.
Gabe
(06-28-2020, 01:01 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Fished Utah Lake today, with my grandson.  First tried to catch a white bass or two, for bait, but that was a no go.  Then I moved over to my honey hole that an older gentleman showed me many moons ago.  The catching, for catfish, was good but I got tired of snagging and breaking off, so then we moved to Bird Island.  The catching wasn't quite as good, but it was fairly steady.  We fished until about 3:30 and caught ~50 between us.  Grandson took honors for the large fish at 28 3/4".

I had other bait, that I used, but I also tried a Gulp Minnow.  I found that the catfish, in Utah Lake, will bite a Gulp Minnow just fine, just like the catfish in Willard and a big plus with Gulp Minnows is that the bait stays on better than just about any other bait.

We fished near two other boats, at Bird island, most of the time and we were puzzled why they were motoring around so much just before they left.  We figured they were looking for something.  When they left we were fishing about 2 blocks away from them.  I decided to move over into the general area where they were fishing to try before we headed home.  When I pulled up my anchor attached to my anchor was another anchor rope.  I pulled on that anchor rope and pulled up an anchor.  It was obvious that this was what they were searching for just before they left.

If someone can describe their boat and describe the anchor I will gladly return it to them.  If not, it will make a good additional anchor for my boat.[Image: Jordan.png]

Kent, I think I remember Mooseman75 awhile back posting he had lost an anchor out at BI. But then, my memory isn't that great nowadays ?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(06-28-2020, 12:54 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:   Kent, I think I remember Mooseman75 awhile back posting he had lost an anchor out at BI. But then, my memory isn't that great nowadays ?

The anchor and the attached rope that I pulled out of the water were totally clean.  They hadn't been in the water any extended time.
Man you sure have a knack for rescuing things from that body of water.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(06-28-2020, 06:40 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Man you sure have a knack for rescuing things from that body of water.

Yes I do.  After finding something that I didn't even know I was looking for, I said to my grandson that I should have earned an easy $500.  With my new fish finder, assuming the coordinates are not too far off, I have a strong hunch that I could find this treasure.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/60302212
I am not sure you can even find them today.  None of the box grocery stores near us carry any of those.  Our local butchers are not real butchers and don't have them either.

Once was a day when liver and gizzards were available, but if anyone here knows where to really get them, in this day and age, I and my wife want to know.
(06-29-2020, 03:18 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: I am not sure you can even find them today.  None of the box grocery stores near us carry any of those.  Our local butchers are not real butchers and don't have them either.

Once was a day when liver and gizzards were available, but if anyone here knows where to really get them, in this day and age, I and my wife want to know.
Most of the Ream's markets carry them...in Salt Lake.  Not sure about north.
(06-29-2020, 03:18 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: I am not sure you can even find them today.  None of the box grocery stores near us carry any of those.  Our local butchers are not real butchers and don't have them either.

Winco carries them and I had chicken hearts and chicken livers with me.  I have had success with both; however, fishing with chicken livers is really messy and sort of like trying to keep jello on the hook.  To keep it on I have wrapped it with Magic Thread or Stretchy String.  On my trip before last I tried a chicken heart and was surprised to not even get a bite on it.
Kent's always has chicken livers.  Not sure about gizzards and hearts, but I have seen them there in the past.

If you want to brave Wal-Mart they have them. I have seen them at Smith's also. Me and the wife buy them all the time to fry up and eat. But I have used them for catfish bait as well. Worked pretty good.

Winco
(06-30-2020, 01:27 PM)lifeshort Wrote:

Winco
Reams has them frozen, call ahead ask.
Ya i lost an anchor a brand new one at bird island on the east side. But my knot came undone so it would not have a rope attached. It was a grapnel type. But I highly doubt Kent got mine. If so he can have it he earned it for being lucky lol
(07-01-2020, 02:17 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Ya i lost an anchor a brand new one at bird island on the east side. But my knot came undone so it would not have a rope attached. It was a grapnel type. But I highly doubt Kent got mine. If so he can have it he earned it for being lucky lol

Nope, the one I found wasn't yours.
Hey, Kent, thanks for the heads-up about the Gulp Minnows. Any particular type or size work better than others? I seem to always be taking too little of what bait is working best or way too much of something that ends up going to waste, so those would make good fall-back baits that I could keep in the boat all the time.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(07-02-2020, 04:45 AM)catchinon Wrote: Hey, Kent, thanks for the heads-up about the Gulp Minnows. Any particular type or size work better than others? I seem to always be taking too little of what bait is working best or way too much of something that ends up going to waste, so those would make good fall-back baits that I could keep in the boat all the time.

They were 3" Minnow Rainbow, but I doubt the type makes any difference.  I rarely use Gulp Minnows, although I have them with me almost everytime I fish (good for backup bait) and I have caught just about everything on them (from Sturgeon to trout).
(07-02-2020, 04:45 AM)catchinon Wrote: Hey, Kent, thanks for the heads-up about the Gulp Minnows. Any particular type or size work better than others? I seem to always be taking too little of what bait is working best or way too much of something that ends up going to waste, so those would make good fall-back baits that I could keep in the boat all the time.
I have caught a lot of fish...of several species...on Gulp Minnows.  I too prefer the 3' but also keep some of the 1" for tipping small jigs.  My favorites in the 3" are white and smelt.  But I also do well at times on the chartreuse shad.  They work great on a jig under a bobber...or when cast and retrieved. I have even had fish pick them up while resting on the bottom...just like bait.  Most fish seem to like them and they can help extend your day on the water if you have gone through your bait supply.