Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Tips
Seeking some wisdom from the crowd....will be headed to Bear Lake later this month for a family gathering and want to get some fishing in while I am there.  Any suggestions or tips for catching while I am there?  Did the same thing last year and was skunked. Will be taking my boat and staying just over line on the Idaho side.  

Thanks in advance...
Fishing Bear Lake (successfully) during the Summer is like jumping over the moon, I hear cows have done it, but I have seldom seen it.

My best suggestion is to look for the debris line that forms on the East side of the lake due to wind action. You will find it 30 to 100 yards off shore and it looks a little like an oil slick or dust line. Bugs blown into the water during the day get blown to the down wind side. Waves bouncing off the bank tend to make a line away from the shore. During the calm nights the bugs tend to sink down and the Cutties tend to set below and eat. IF YOU CAN FIND IT, it can take the skunk off. Troll slow right below it.

There are also some rock piles in the lake. One is natural but the others were put there for cover. You can get the GPS spots by doing a search on line. Deep jig over these piles and you can often take the skunk off.

Neither of these methods are easy, but ........ maybe this time the cow will make it over the moon.
(07-08-2020, 05:06 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Fishing Bear Lake (successfully) during the Summer is like jumping over the moon, I hear cows have done it, but I have seldom seen it.

My best suggestion is to look for the debris line that forms on the East side of the lake due to wind action.  You will find it 30 to 100 yards off shore and it looks a little like an oil slick or dust line.  Bugs blown into the water during the day get blown to the down wind side.  Waves bouncing off the bank tend to make a line away from the shore.  During the calm nights the bugs tend to sink down and the Cutties tend to set below and eat.  IF YOU CAN FIND IT, it can take the skunk off.  Troll slow right below it.

There are also some rock piles in the lake.  One is natural but the others were put there for cover.  You can get the GPS spots by doing a search on line.  Deep jig over these piles and you can often take the skunk off.

Neither of these methods are easy, but ........ maybe this time the cow will make it over the moon.
Thanks Anglin, that is what I feared, but I will give your suggestions a try.
One thing that might help is using kokanee type lures, like a dodger and squids or spinners. We have had some success with those types of setups. I think the dodger helps draw the fish in, because of the flash but being out there early is also key, you likely will have little to no success fishing in the middle of the day. Summer catching is tough at BL.
(07-07-2020, 06:30 PM)jebrown2 Wrote: Seeking some wisdom from the crowd....will be headed to Bear Lake later this month for a family gathering and want to get some fishing in while I am there.  Any suggestions or tips for catching while I am there?  Did the same thing last year and was skunked. Will be taking my boat and staying just over line on the Idaho side.  

Thanks in advance...
I have fished Bear Lake quite a bit and the summer months are sometimes a challenge. I would recommend fishing the east side very early with long lines out 300’ using rapalas or a Luckycraft ghost a few feet behind some pop gear or a flasher. Troll in an S pattern and fairly fast 3 mph. Adjust the flasher action to the speed. Should pick up a fish or two that way.  

Jigging over structure or marked fish with skirted jigs tipped with a small amount sucker meat or Cisco if you have it may also drum up a couple. I like white or black. 

Good Luck and let us know how you do.