Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Croix rod with Shimano Stradic advice.
Hi everyone,

I’ve primarily been using more semi lower end $50-$100 stuff reels and rods for all the years of fishing. I’m building up another St Croix rod. But this time I want to buy a nicer reel for it. I just bought a St Croix 7 foot, light power, extra fast action. So my big question is, I’m looking at a Shimano Stradic CI4 1000 and 2500. Some people are saying go with 1000 for balance quality. So I’m like heck what do I go with? I’m also seeing / hearing people say just go with a 2500. I tend to run a 8lb PowerPro Spectra braid for most of reels. For me that’s what’s worked best. I have some other random nylon lines. I tend to fish primarily trout around where I live and also a few hours from me. But I’ve also caught some lake trout too. I mean it’s the light power is not the only one I got I just like the flexibility of the extra drag and line capacity. Correct me if I’m wrong please? I’m wondering too if the 2500 would be a bit too big for this rod? Every fishing dealer is sold out here locally on the 2500. They have the 1000 in stock, though. So it’s hard to see one in person here in Las Vegas.

Thank you!
For a light action 7' rod, with 8 lb test, shimano's 1000 size is perfect.  The 2500 size is more for medium/medium heavy rods with a little heavier lines.  Just my opinion though.

Love my shimano stradic 1000 with my diawa light action pack rod.
I think I have the same rod. A Trout Series? I also have a Shimano but I went with the Stradic FL instead. I had a Ci4 but lost it overboard with a GLoomis rod. Yes, I was sick. The Ci4 is great but I feel the FL is a bit stronger and has some Stella parts. Love it so far and it is only slightly heavier.