Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Setup Recommendations
Hi guys- I am finally getting an initial setup put together for trolling on my boat.  I have the downriggers, but looking for advice on weights, does the shape matter?  How heavy? What about releases?  What has worked well for you? Are there any you would avoid?

I am planning on fishing mostly for trout and kokanee but would also like to go after bigger fish like lakers occasionally.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Many people know more than me, but yes weight matters.. shape matters. You want your weight to go straight down .
if you use a round ball it will roll in your boat a flat one will not when you are on the road
do you have elect. downriggers if not will a 10 lb ball ware you out
the downrigger release is a big dill to me you need to find what works best for you 
I like the big scotty.   you need a good pole and reel. for trolling 
there is some good youtube that will teach you
here is one look at all his videos he has some good ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=hpEDtkYhveE

you need to learn set back from the downrigger ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yR5VT9A6Fw

how to stack  I do not like this Release I put another one on, and I do not us a stop I use a line counter reel that shows me how deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSALF7i9_4

[color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Downriggers for Beginners[/color]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj2HDLYc5Qo
Your down rigger weight is dependent on what kind of down rigger you have. Shape of the weight is usually personal preference. Some folks like a cannon ball shaped weight, some a finned weight. Depending on where you are fishing will make a difference. Currently, I would recommend the flat weights with a stabilizing fin of metal, 7-10lbs for most applications. you also need a good release. I would recommend the Black's release. you can stack em, adjust the release pressure, and you don't have to mess with all kinds of rigging hardware. you can attach one release to your cable, just above the weight, then if you want to stack, cut opposite sides of where the cable threads through so you can attach it to the cable and use a large split shot, crimped on the cable in between the ears of the release to hold it in place. Google Black's Down rigger release. You can set it to release 4lb line if you want. One problem with flat or pancake weights is they are pricey.
I took Liketrollings advice and got 10lb flat weights and the big scotty releases and I bought 2 shuttle hawks to use for stacking lines on downriggers. In my opinion that works well for me, I dont like the release on the shuttle hawk so I replaced them with scotty minis. But I got alot to more to learn.
I use mostly 8lb weights and have a couple of 10lbers but they don't get used much. Cannon ball, fish style weights have a lot of blow back, pancake weights have less and all track well in upper water column. When downrigging near the bottom I like to use stick weights as they don't have a strong blowback and I never have lost one dragging across bottom. Bear Lake has 2 of my cannon balls from hanging up on bottom. I have lost fish style weights in Flaming Gorge, E Canyon. There is a purpose for the different weight styles but also what the individual likes to use. I know some guys that only use stick weights as all purpose which is fine also, I have in some cases.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
The only kind I don't own is the stick weights, I don't use my fish weight much, usually use either a pancake weight or a 4 lb cannon ball. There is a lot of blow back with the 4 lber but it's not a big issue, it's much easier to put over the side of the boat and pick up compared to a 10 or 12 lb weight.
We have 10 lbs pancake weights we use with electric scotty downriggers. We also have 10 lbs ball weights, but only use those if I am dragging near the bottom. I want to get 15 lbs weights eventually...less blow back.