Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait run
I went to Lost Creek Reservoir today and in a couple hours I caught 43 chubs (after I figured out how to catch them) and Shane also caught a decent number. Brought them home, filleted and salted them, and then vacuum sealed and put them in the freezer.  They don't know it yet, but they will be invited along on some future fishing trips.
Well then, drive by and don't drag me along, will ya. I have been planning a run there this week, just taking longer to tile this shower than I figured. Maybe next week Any big cuts say hello or were you just bait fishing?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-06-2020, 03:04 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Well then, drive by and don't drag me along, will ya. I have been planning a run there this week, just taking longer to tile this shower than I figured. Maybe next week Any big cuts say hello or were you just bait fishing?

This was exclusively a bait fishing run.
(08-06-2020, 01:20 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: I went to Lost Creek Reservoir today and in a couple hours I caught 43 chubs (after I figured out how to catch them) and Shane also caught a decent number. Brought them him, filleted and salted them, and then vacuum sealed and put them in the freezer.  They don't know it yet, but they will be invited along on some future fishing trips.
How are you catching them? I could use a bait run also!
I first tried two size eight weighted jigs under a bobber, on one rod. On the second rod, I tied two size 8 hooks on a drop shot rig and cast it out and let it sit on the bottom. All hooks were tipped with a small chunk of crawler. I fished for about an hour and didn't get a bite on either rod. I tried cranking my reel a couple times, on the rod on the bottom, and letting it sit for 30 seconds and repeating. That was the trick (letting it sink to the bottom and bouncing it back to shore).

I would cast out about 75 to 100' and let it sink to the bottom. Many times chubs would immediately hit, but a couple bounces would always get hits. Over 1/3 of the time, we reeled in doubles (my fishing buddy started fishing the same way I was fishing and also began having success). One must use small hooks and get it on the bottom.
I failed to mention, in the above posts, that we were fishing from the shore.
(08-08-2020, 03:59 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I failed to mention, in the above posts, that we were fishing from the shore.
I'm guessing that would eliminate the need for downriggers.
(08-08-2020, 04:19 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 03:59 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I failed to mention, in the above posts, that we were fishing from the shore.

Probably so.  I made my post because I received a PM from a guy who thought I had taken my boat, up there, for the bait run.  I sure didn't want anyone to think that they needed to have a boat to catch chubs at Lost Creek.  I'm sure the cutthroats and tiger trout are eating some of the chubs, but it is obvious it is still overrun by chubs and the anglers might as well catch some for bait.
(08-08-2020, 04:32 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 04:19 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Probably so.  I made my post because I received a PM from a guy who thought I had taken my boat, up there, for the bait run.  I sure didn't want anyone to think that they needed to have a boat to catch chubs at Lost Creek.  I'm sure the cutthroats and tiger trout are eating some of the chubs, but it is obvious it is still overrun by chubs and the anglers might as well catch some for bait.
I think we have had it proven to us in Utah that trout alone cannot or will not eliminate chubs from the ecosystem.  No matter how many species of trout are dumped in a chub pond they just won't get rid of chubkind.  On the other hand, smallmouth bass in the mix are an excellent chub eradicator.  Starvation and Jordanelle are two examples that come to mind.  Both used to be choked with chubs.  But the smallies wiped them out within a few years.

Personally, I think some chubs and/or redside shiners in a trout habitat are good...in order to help take trout from small to medium size and then to extra grande.  The big downside...especially where there are planter rainbows...is that the chubs usually outcompete the smaller trout for available food resources.  And if they are detrimental to the hatchery pets we simply cain't abide them.

And it's good to have some optional sources of chub meat for those of us who fancy it for bait.
(08-08-2020, 06:11 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I think we have had it proven to us in Utah that trout alone cannot or will not eliminate chubs from the ecosystem.  No matter how many species of trout are dumped in a chub pond they just won't get rid of chubkind. 

You may be right and I have no problem with some chubs being in the fishery.  When one can catch nothing except for chubs then the fishery ceases to be enjoyable for me to fish (Starvation and Koosharem Reservoirs come to mind, when I was a kid).

I am thinking that Strawberry may end up being the exception.  It wasn't that many years ago that I could catch all the chubs I wanted by using my casting net from any of the docks.  The record was over 100 chubs and shiners in one cast of my casting net.  Those were the days when Minnow Man had a license to collect chubs and shiners from Strawberry. 

These days, I would be lucky to catch 10 chubs in 25 casts of my casting net (the red-sided shiners disappeared years ago).  The cutthroat seem to be eating 100% (if not 100% it is darn close) of the newly hatched chubs.  I wouldn't be surprised if chubs become extinct in Strawberry.  It may be proven if enough Bear Lake Cutthroat are planted in a fishery, over an extended period of time, combined with a slot limit, that it is possible for trout to eliminate the chubs from a fishery.  Time will tell.
Intresting hypothesis on the Berry, Kent. You are right. Them chubs are on a serious decline there. Now throw Scofield into the mix. Good trout population. Musky in the mix. Seems the chub population is still pretty stable but I don't fish it often, so intrested in the opinions of those that do?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-08-2020, 07:45 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Intresting hypothesis on the Berry, Kent. You are right. Them chubs are on a serious decline there. Now throw Scofield into the mix. Good trout population. Musky in the mix. Seems the chub population is still pretty stable but I don't fish it often, so intrested in the opinions of those that do?

I think all of the predators, that they are planting in Scofield, will EVENTUALLY get the chubs under control.