Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECHO..echo...echo
Got back to Echo today. Arrived at 6:00 am to an air temp of 48 - glad I brought a jacket. Water was 69. Water is down 30-35 feet from full - the ramp is 100 yards long now. Lots of sand flats exposed and very little brush still submerged.

I usually go north from the marina, but based on recent reports, I went south looking for perch. Found a few good enough for future bait but nothing spectacular. Switched to smallies. Got strikes on surface lures (Heddon Tiny Torpedo) on almost every cast, but few hookups. Tried jigs, various cranks, and a NED rig with limited success. Then tied on a 3" Flicker Shad in shad color. BINGO! Cast in to six feet of water and let it dig down to 10 or 12 on the retrieve, and game on. Very quickly learned not to use a fabric trout net when using treble hooks. Spent more time getting the lure out of the net than I did fishing.

Brought home enough for a couple meals and left just before noon. Air temp then 73, water 70. Glorious day with flat calm all morning, very few power boats and plenty of parking space. Didn't see a park ranger all day, not even upon arrival.

Road re-surfacing both directions on I-84 from about Henefer to the split. One lane travel @ 55 mph - and they MEAN it. Highway Patrol parked and watching.
Sounds like a fun and productive trip. I've been trying to get up there since they closed I-80 because of the fire in Parleys Canyon. With the temps forecasted for 100 plus next week I'm for sure going to go. The 48 degree temp sounds refreshing.
Great report. I got a few of them flicker shad. Will have to throw them in on my next run. I am suprised your goto ned rig was unproductive, but they gave seen a lot of them in the past couple months.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
To be fair to the Ned rig, I was using it on a stretch of sandy shore where there may not have been many smallies to see it. By the time I got back to rocks, I had already switched out.