Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hungry fish at Strawberry
Yesterday, while fishing Strawberry something happened that I have never experienced before.  Kory and I were anchored up and vertically jigging or casting and bouncing back to the boat, in about 40' of water.  Twice, for some yet unknown reason, my line snapped somewhere on one of my rods. (I will be checking every one of the eyes with a Q-Tip.) This happened once during a hook set and happened another time right after reeling in. Each time this happened, within a couple minutes, Kory reeled in a fish with both his jig and my jig in its mouth.
(08-16-2020, 03:08 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Yesterday, while fishing Strawberry something happened that I have never experienced before.  Kory and I were anchored up and vertically jigging or casting and bouncing back to the boat, in about 40' of water.  Twice, for some yet unknown reason, my line snapped somewhere on one of my rods. (I will be checking every one of the eyes with a Q-Tip.) This happened once during a hook set and happened another time right after reeling in. Each time this happened, within a couple minutes, Kory reeled in a fish with both his jig and my jig in its mouth.
Not fun to have a line break.   I would also check your reel for any sharp edges, nicks, rough areas, etc..  I had some unexplained line breaks once that I traced to a designed part of the reel that happened to have a sharp edge I hadn't noticed.   The two jigs in one fish makes a good fish story.   Tight lines!
Too bad that nice fish didn’t deliver your rod that went overboard!
I have experience the same thing with line almost magically breaking on one rod. Turns out that a ceramic guide had a chipped edge that was razor sharp. Another reason for line breaking is leaving the lure rigged during travel and having the tip of the rod acting like a mini- hammer to the line pulled over the guide and any hard object causing nicks in the line.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(08-16-2020, 04:34 PM)grandpafish Wrote: Too bad that nice fish didn’t deliver your rod that went overboard!

This is true.
Well other than the line problem did you break your last record of fish caught. I think it was 131 or something like that. You certainly have the spot dialed in.
(08-17-2020, 01:02 AM)lovetofish Wrote: Well other than the line problem did you break your last record of fish caught. I think it was 131 or something like that. You certainly have the spot dialed in.

Nope, it has slowed down.  I only caught 71.  My high trip, a few weeks back, was 128.  In five trips, I have caught 469 cutthroat.  I think I'm ready to fish somewhere else, maybe Bear Lake.
(08-16-2020, 03:08 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:  Each time this happened, within a couple minutes, Kory reeled in a fish with both his jig and a new-to-him jig in its mouth.

fixed it for you:  salvage rights!  No longer yours!  Smile
(08-17-2020, 03:20 PM)PBH Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 03:08 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:  Each time this happened, within a couple minutes, Kory reeled in a fish with both his jig and a new-to-him jig in its mouth.

He didn't want to walk home. Shy
(08-17-2020, 06:03 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 03:20 PM)PBH Wrote:

He didn't want to walk home. Shy

you can't change 3000 years of maritime principles.  He is entitled to a reward commensurate with the value of the property salvaged.  Plain and simple.  Give your boy the jigs!