Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Crawdad Hunt - The Old School Way
Okay everyone can catch a crawdad with a chicken leg or a baited trap. But we got invited by the Triscuit Triplets and Granola Girl for an  good old fashion sharp eye, fast hand, wade and snorkel, hoe-down, for mud bugs.

Location was Bear River in shallow ripples after bigger holes. The mud bugs were grazing like cows on the rocks. If you were fast or sneaky you can have a riot with this with your kids doing this. Location really dont much matter. If you can wade it and see the bottom or slowly drift over it with a mask and snorkel, and there is a resident population of mud bugs, you have a seat at the table. Now to bring something to the table have a sharp eye and a fast hand or you might be begging from the young bucks and does for a portion of their bounty.

This may not be the fastest way to fill the pot for your mudbug boil, but is is likely the funnest way.

Here is the video - great time and good to get away from project home rebuild

https://youtu.be/mSWSUaJE9zI

[Image: 20200816-135418.jpg][Image: 20200816-135458.jpg][Image: 20200816-141348.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I remember as a kid catching my share of mud bugs. The last one I got to play with was from Barksdale AFB, Louisiana 

[Image: MudBuff.jpg]
B52H
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-17-2020, 12:19 PM)Bduck Wrote: I remember as a kid catching my share of mud bugs. The last one I got to play with was from Barksdale AFB, Louisiana 

B52H

The mud bugs we were chasing don't have quite the fight in em that that Mud Buff has. Cool photo. Were you on the stick or the buttons or the wrenches?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
The kids will remember that for sure. While camping at Hyrum this week with daughter, sil, and grandkids, my daughter told about catching crawdads by hand as a child.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(08-17-2020, 06:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 12:19 PM)Bduck Wrote: I remember as a kid catching my share of mud bugs. The last one I got to play with was from Barksdale AFB, Louisiana 

B52H

The mud bugs we were chasing don't have quite the fight in em that that Mud Buff has. Cool photo. Were you on the stick or the buttons or the wrenches?
Tinker AFB, mechanic
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(08-17-2020, 08:24 PM)Bduck Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 06:04 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

B52H

Tinker AFB, mechanic
it would have been very fun to put my hands on one of those with my snap-on set. Best I have wrenched on is old dozers and tractors
(08-17-2020, 02:19 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Okay everyone can catch a crawdad with a chicken leg or a baited trap. But we got invited by the Triscuit Triplets and Granola Girl for an  good old fashion sharp eye, fast hand, wade and snorkel, hoe-down, for mud bugs.

Location was Bear River in shallow ripples after bigger holes. The mud bugs were grazing like cows on the rocks. If you were fast or sneaky you can have a riot with this with your kids doing this. Location really dont much matter. If you can wade it and see the bottom or slowly drift over it with a mask and snorkel, and there is a resident population of mud bugs, you have a seat at the table. Now to bring something to the table have a sharp eye and a fast hand or you might be begging from the young bucks and does for a portion of their bounty.

This may not be the fastest way to fill the pot for your mudbug boil, but is is likely the funnest way.

Here is the video - great time and good to get away from project home rebuild

https://youtu.be/mSWSUaJE9zI

[Image: 20200816-135418.jpg][Image: 20200816-135458.jpg][Image: 20200816-141348.jpg]

You guys make it all look fun. It appears you all had a good time.