Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIshing Bag - Preference
I had such great feed back on my request for input on an ultra light set up - so I figured I would ask this one...

I have been doing a lot, and i mean a lot, more bank tangling the last couple years (vs the boat). I don't have a fishing bag that I really like for this. I would like a bit more space  than my little fanny pack so that I can have mixed tackle options with me, my lunch and a couple drinks.. i prefer fanny packs as I don't tend to leave them like a day pack, but may need to switch to a day pack. 

What have you fallen in love with that has good flexibility?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
For years I have been using a fanny pack...modified to become a chest pack.  I run one strap around the chest and another around my neck...to hold it in place.  Works well for tubing but also for short hikes, etc.  If you get the kind with a couple of drink holders on the side, these serve to hold glasses and/or camera.  Mine has three separate zippered pockets for various tackle items...and a retractable set of clippers.  They can hold a lot of possibles,
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg][Image: 4-WIPER.jpg]
I use a day pack for alot of my tackle storage, still using one for ice fishing, but had a old hunting pack laying around, so all my summer gear goes out in it and have plenty of room, plus easy to wear if you have to hike a bit.
(08-23-2020, 09:06 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I had such great feed back on my request for input on an ultra light set up - so I figured I would ask this one...

I have been doing a lot, and i mean a lot, more bank tangling the last couple years (vs the boat). I don't have a fishing bag that I really like for this. I would like a bit more space  than my little fanny pack so that I can have mixed tackle options with me, my lunch and a couple drinks.. i prefer fanny packs as I don't tend to leave them like a day pack, but may need to switch to a day pack. 

Here is my favorite bag to use when I am on foot. It has a hydration bladder that can be inserted, waist strap, adjustabel padded shoulder straps. One large and two smaller pockets that are zippered. It also has an adjustable open pocket in the center. The side pockets are great to use for water bottles.              
[Image: 001.jpg][Image: 002.jpg]
Myself I just use a fishing vest. I find that I can carry everything I need for the particular water I'm fishing. You can put drinks, lunch, etc. in the back. Plus you could still carry your fanny pack.
Based on this feedback...

I have a couple very good fanny pack, so just a few tweaks and they should pass an inspection from Pat and be good for a grab and go on short away runs from the truck.

I have a couple very good back packs, and I think I will set one up to leave in the truck with a mix of species offerings to be my main on the go inventory and my goto when i have the wandering bug that will have me away from the truck for a while

What i don't have and dearly want after doing a little goggle search work, is a real good vest. And I can see that being a go to grab for these quick panfish runs I love. Thanks lovetofish my wife thanks you also - Sportsmans here I come
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-25-2020, 08:23 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Based on this feedback...

I have a couple very good fanny pack, so just a few tweaks and they should pass an inspection from Pat and be good for a grab and go on short away runs from the truck.

I have a couple very good back packs, and I think I will set one up to leave in the truck with a mix of species offerings to be my main on the go inventory and my goto when i have the wandering bug that will have me away from the truck for a while

What i don't have and dearly want after doing a little goggle search work, is a real good vest. And I can see that being a go to grab for these quick panfish runs I love. Thanks lovetofish my wife thanks you also - Sportsmans here I come
Hard to beat a well designed fishing vest for "grab and go" trips.  With plenty of pockets and either velcro or zipper closures...for security...you can keep all the basic necessities as well as clippers, leaders, hooks, swivels, sinkers, etc. in a handy and easily accessible wearable.  I have worn out several vests over time...and for quite a while I both wore a vest and a chest pack.  Depends on what you need...or what you think you need.  And there is no law I know of that says you have to use just one or the other...or that you can't use both.

One suggestion:  If you get a vest get one a size or two larger than you would buy for a fashion statement.  It should be large enough to throw on over a sweatshirt or coat.
[Image: VEST-PACK.jpg]
I use this as my tackle bag. I take it on the boat or on the shore
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro...-or-system
It's a good sized pack so be careful what you put in it lol
I really like my Allen's.
I have the Gunnison backpack. Holders for 2 rod tubes, plenty of room inside for drinks and lunch, lots of dividers for organizing and comfortable. I also have a Allen chest pack that I can wear either on my chest or it buckles to the backpack.
Much less expensive than many other brands and I think just as good.
(08-23-2020, 09:06 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I had such great feed back on my request for input on an ultra light set up - so I figured I would ask this one...

I have two different vest listed on KSL, might want to take a look and see if one would work for you

Richard
When not on the boat I have a vest but use a Smiths Fanny pack with the shoulder harness added. Best fanny pack I have had- Very comfortable with a few pockets. Wrote:
Cowboypirate Wrote:I had such great feed back on my request for input on an ultra light set up - so I figured I would ask this one...

I have two different vest listed on KSL, might want to take a look and see if one would work for you

Richard