Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek chub run
Kory and I made a run to Lost Creek yesterday to get him a supply of chubs for bait.  I took the boat, this time, so that we could first try to catch a trout or two.  Kory was able to catch five rainbows and one cutthroat and I manged to lose three trout.  We then turned our attention to catching chubs.  We first just stopped where we ended up after fishing for trout.  We were catching some, on a fairly consistent basis, but I told Kory that it was extremely slow for catching chubs.  We then moved to an area that I hoped was more promising.  It was a wise move and catching chubs was fast and furious.  It was a good feeling, at the end of the day, when I only kept 9 smaller chubs, to be fished whole, and Kory took home all of the rest.

Rather than buying those mushy shiners, that the Minnow Man is selling these days, many more of you should take advantage of catching and processing the surplus chubs that exist in Lost Creek, Scofield and a few other places.  They are easily caught from the shore.

[Image: Threefer.png]
(08-23-2020, 03:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Kory and I made a run to Lost Creek yesterday to get him a supply of chubs for bait.  I took the boat, this time, so that we could first try to catch a trout or two.  Kory was able to catch five rainbows and one cutthroat and I manged to lose three trout.  We then turned our attention to catching chubs.  We first just stopped where we ended up after fishing for trout.  We were catching some, on a fairly consistent basis, but I told Kory that it was extremely slow for catching chubs.  We then moved to an area that I hoped was more promising.  It was a wise move and catching chubs was fast and furious.  It was a good feeling, at the end of the day, when I only kept 9 smaller chubs, to be fished whole, and Kory took home all of the rest.

Rather than buying those mushy shiners, that the Minnow Man is selling these days, many more of you should take advantage of catching and processing the surplus chubs that exist in Lost Creek, Scofield and a few other places.  They are easily caught from the shore.

Great report Kent, good idea, getting members out there to thin out those chubs.
To get interest up on thinning them out, maybe we could do a contest, with the winner being the one that catches and keeps the most chubs, what do you think?
(08-23-2020, 09:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report Kent, good idea, getting members out there to thin out those chubs.
To get interest up on thinning them out, maybe we could do a contest, with the winner being the one that catches and keeps the most chubs, what do you think?

Sounds like a plan to me, but if folks don't already realize the value of those chubs, for cut bait, not sure if a contest will make any difference.  The way I look at it, every large chub, that I catch and process, will likely catch approximately 10 trout or 4 to 6 catfish.  Also, the mushy shiners are $3.99 (plus tax) so one doesn't have to catch many chubs to make the trip worthwhile.
(08-23-2020, 03:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Kory and I made a run to Lost Creek yesterday to get him a supply of chubs for bait.  I took the boat, this time, so that we could first try to catch a trout or two.  Kory was able to catch five rainbows and one cutthroat and I manged to lose three trout.  We then turned our attention to catching chubs.  We first just stopped where we ended up after fishing for trout.  We were catching some, on a fairly consistent basis, but I told Kory that it was extremely slow for catching chubs.  We then moved to an area that I hoped was more promising.  It was a wise move and catching chubs was fast and furious.  It was a good feeling, at the end of the day, when I only kept 9 smaller chubs, to be fished whole, and Kory took home all of the rest.

Well ! you got me thinking, now where do I start?
(08-24-2020, 02:41 PM)r2u2 Wrote: Well ! you got me thinking, now where do I start?

Depends on what I got you thinking about. Smile  

If you are thinking about catching chubs, at Lost Creek, I would suggest you find a place where you can fish in ~40' of water, either from the shore or from a flotation device.  I prefer a drop shot rig with two or 3 size 8 hooks, tipped with a small chunk of crawler.  Slowly drag the bait along the bottom.
Scofield would probably be closer for Richard and me. Do you have any specific suggestions for there? We used to catch a number below the dam by the bridge but that was barren last time we tried. My brother has caught a few from shore at Madsen Bay.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(08-24-2020, 05:51 PM)catchinon Wrote: Scofield would probably be closer for Richard and me. Do you have any specific suggestions for there? We used to catch a number below the dam by the bridge but that was barren last time we tried. My brother has caught a few from shore at Madsen Bay.

Not sure, but probably the same technique I was using would work, but no guarantees.
(08-24-2020, 05:51 PM)catchinon Wrote: Scofield would probably be closer for Richard and me. Do you have any specific suggestions for there? We used to catch a number below the dam by the bridge but that was barren last time we tried. My brother has caught a few from shore at Madsen Bay.
I'm guessing that the drop shot on bottom routine would catch chubs at Scofield.

Howsomever, Kent and I hit both the lower river and the main lake in August a few years ago.  There were a few chubs below the dam but we opted for fishing around the docks on the lake.  We started out throwing cast nets and scored a few small chubs and even a few holdover redside shiners.  Then I tried rigging a small jig and worm on a sliding bobber rig...to fish about 20 feet deep.  That got us quite a few chubby chubs and even some skinny small cutts.

Thankfully, there are not as many chubs in the lake as there used to be.  But for those who want to catch a few for bait there are always a few...if you can keep the stupid trout from playing.
[Image: KENT-S-CHUB.jpg][/url][url=https://ibb.co/fkdXysn][Image: KENT-CUTT.jpg][Image: SCOFIELD-BROWNS.jpg]
Yep, we caught a few that trip and you definitely had the hot rod, but compared to Lost Creek Reservoir, these days, it was slim pickens.