Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Season? What to do?
I think I'm giving my water craft a break for awhile, 'til we get some weather that will cool our waters down a bit...Kokes at Strawberry are a little too pink for me now, and they seem to be scarce or in hiding anyhow....I like hitting Rockport and E. Canyon a little later, in Oct. and November (and maybe Echo this year)....too far to hit Flaming Gorge unless I make special arrangements.....AND NOT A LOT OF OTHER FISHING REPORTS, so maybe a lot of you are in the same situation....tired of the heat and slower fishing, and waiting for (hopefully) the coolness of Fall.......For me, guess I'm trying to catch up on some projects that need doing, chopping down some ugly bushes/weeds that have needed it since early Summer, chucking garbage out of the garage, piling up some old clothes that I should have gotten rid of 20 years ago, making tomatoe juice and salsa from the garden, re-reading my old Louis L'Amour Westerns......And now, getting ready for some early bird hunts....Fishing will again be a priority, just taking a breather for a spell........What do some of you do during the Off Fishing season?...or do you not have an Off Season at all? Huh
I'm with you on that Joe, after last week at the Berry where kokes were not playing I made that decision on the way home that day I was also finished. The Berry was always an escape for the day to get away from the valley furnace. I'm just doing little projects for now, adding a convex rearview mirror at the helm so my eyes in the back of my head can watch those rods behind. Next week we are going into a cool down so once the waters cool down at EC some I'll be fishing there on a quick getaway, not sure if I'll venture to Rockport yet. Bear Lake will be coming into play in a couple of weeks and keeping EC in the balance. Once winter sets in I'm going to be prepping the outer boat hull for a fresh coat of paint by next summer.  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Come on Joe - there ain't no 'Off!' season.  Jan, Feb, Mar: ice fishing.  Apr - Sep: boat fishing and clay target busting.  Oct, Nov, Dec: waterfowl.  There ain't no off!  And for us older folks, if we stop moving, we proly gonna die.  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I agree with Dubob.  Ain't no off season...just different seasons...unless you are really specialized (tunnel vision).

In my business days I used to read and listen to a lot of motivational stuff.  Old Zig Ziglar had some things that were applicable to fishing too.  "When your thinkin' is stinkin' you need a checkup from the neck up."  In other words, it's all in your mind.  "It's never good or bad "out there"...but only in your mind."

Another one I liked is "If you wait until all the lights are on green, you ain't never gonna leave the house."

When you're not with the fish you love...love the fish you're with.  And when your "season" is over, just go out and make another season.
(08-26-2020, 04:57 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: I think I'm giving my water craft a break for awhile, 'til we get some weather that will cool our waters down a bit...Kokes at Strawberry are a little too pink for me now, and they seem to be scarce or in hiding anyhow....I like hitting Rockport and E. Canyon a little later, in Oct. and November (and maybe Echo this year)....too far to hit Flaming Gorge unless I make special arrangements.....AND NOT A LOT OF OTHER FISHING REPORTS, so maybe a lot of you are in the same situation....tired of the heat and slower fishing, and waiting for (hopefully) the coolness of Fall.......For me, guess I'm trying to catch up on some projects that need doing, chopping down some ugly bushes/weeds that have needed it since early Summer, chucking garbage out of the garage, piling up some old clothes that I should have gotten rid of 20 years ago, making tomatoe juice and salsa from the garden, re-reading my old Louis L'Amour Westerns......And now, getting ready for some early bird hunts....Fishing will again be a priority, just taking a breather for a spell........What do some of you do during the Off Fishing season?...or do you not have an Off Season at all? Huh

Maybe you could try Knitting. 
(08-26-2020, 10:11 PM)elkantlers Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 04:57 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: I think I'm giving my water craft a break for awhile, 'til we get some weather that will cool our waters down a bit...Kokes at Strawberry are a little too pink for me now, and they seem to be scarce or in hiding anyhow....I like hitting Rockport and E. Canyon a little later, in Oct. and November (and maybe Echo this year)....too far to hit Flaming Gorge unless I make special arrangements.....AND NOT A LOT OF OTHER FISHING REPORTS, so maybe a lot of you are in the same situation....tired of the heat and slower fishing, and waiting for (hopefully) the coolness of Fall.......For me, guess I'm trying to catch up on some projects that need doing, chopping down some ugly bushes/weeds that have needed it since early Summer, chucking garbage out of the garage, piling up some old clothes that I should have gotten rid of 20 years ago, making tomatoe juice and salsa from the garden, re-reading my old Louis L'Amour Westerns......And now, getting ready for some early bird hunts....Fishing will again be a priority, just taking a breather for a spell........What do some of you do during the Off Fishing season?...or do you not have an Off Season at all? Huh

Maybe you could try Knitting. 

As a scout group, we all made ourselves quilts one summer. Mine was camo of course. It was a lot of fun. Maybe not knitting, but close. We still talk about that summer when we see each other.. My wife retired that quilt from our bed a few years back. Broke My heart, but she was well worn and told to many stories - the quilt - not my wife.

I have no idea what my random ramble means either. Must mean I miss fishing or am going crazy - likey both.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Busting my hump trying to finish my drift boat restoration so I can learn to row before the fall. Just need to lay the gel on the floor and install the hardware.

There is also the open option of shooting a bull elk.

[Image: IMG-20200826-190736.jpg]
I DO really like the ideas of boat repair/maintenance/upgrade....my boat trailer could use a new paint job, bulbs need replacing...I think this might be my season for that, while still visualizing decoying doves soon, then later ducks attacking my spread, and then the later Fall fishing, of course hopefully followed be early ice with willing perch, bluegill, and crappie....Hey, just a little dreaming here....
Always something to hunt, be spending my time getting ready to go put some meat in the freezer, with maybe a occasional fishing trip.
Everything you mentioned applies to me, too. A couple of other things. I do a lot of research on the internet--fishing, hunting, other interests. In that interval between the end of ice fishing and ice-off (about the only real off season I can think of) I like to plan my garden and prepare the soil. I love researching all the tomato varieties, etc. But right now if I were you I'd head to the high Uintas or Boulder Mountain. Me? The catfish and I never sleep.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Any good areas to research? I used to watch a lot of YouTube to learn, or read articles. All of those have just turned into giant poorly hidden advertisements the few years or so.
We have spent some time in the boat together and you know me and my family we love to hunt maybe more so than fish so that will keep me busy at least until early March, of course there are always a few ice fishing trips thrown in along the way.  Smile
(08-27-2020, 07:59 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
We have spent some time in the boat together and you know me and my family we love to hunt maybe more so than fish so that will keep me busy at least until early March, of course there are always a few ice fishing trips thrown in along the way.  Smile
Yeah, I think we need to do a hunt or another fish day together....Don't know if it's just this crazy 2020 year, or getting older, or what...but I'm reflecting more on all these great seasons I (we) have, be it for fishing, hunting, gardening, years spent in Military, years in civilian career, my racing career, now retirement season....some of these passions (afflictions?) come and go, some we strive to hold onto as long as we can (like DuBob says)...just today a disabled buddy said how much he misses being able to get out and go when he wants to....Each of those Seasons is/was/are special, and I really look forward to the start of them all, or think fondly (mostly) on some that are past....I know years ago I didn't think about it too much, but all these opportunities, passions, (afflictions) seasons, mean a lot to me, and I'm grateful....even if the Kokes aren't hitting, the wind is too strong, the bugs are out, the ice isn't thick enough yet, I can't run anymore, the birds aren't flying today, the garden is full of weeds, etc., etc.....Guess I'm just hoping we all enjoy, appreciate each opportunity/Season that we have..... Smile
I'm excited for bird hunts to start!
(08-28-2020, 07:03 PM)_6x_ Wrote: I'm excited for bird hunts to start!
Good luck on your bird hunts!  I'm already packed and ready to go for Tuesday A.M. Big Grin
I'm in a mad rush to get ready for ice fishing. Smile
(08-31-2020, 03:29 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 07:03 PM)_6x_ Wrote: I'm excited for bird hunts to start!
Good luck on your bird hunts!  I'm already packed and ready to go for Tuesday A.M. Big Grin
Im ready as well, will be hunting both Idaho and Utah. watched birds in both places yesterday im sure this cooler weather may change their routine somewhat.