Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tuesday Strawberry report
Went to the Berry this AM with Jr8fish and his friend the hungry one. Since we fished my fishing hole last week and I outfished Jr8fish there he wanted to try his fishing hole so he could show me how it is done. We took snowshoes this time and sailed through about 5 feet of snow down to the lakes edge. There is about 4-6 inches of slush/water on top of the ice hidden by about 15 inches of powder. With every step you break through to the slush even with snow shoes on. Its pretty ugly. I wouldn't recommed any wheelers and snowmobiles may have a tough time as well until the slush layer freezes. The ice is about 24 inches thick and a very good work out with a hand auger. This is the first time I didn't drill and extra hole for my finder and I just fished blind. It was about 15 degree's when we got there and a beautiful day on the lake with a little fog followed by sunshine and no wind. I started off strong and landed 3 fish pretty quickly while JR was struggling to "SET DE HOOOOOOK!". Eric woke up once he ate some of JR's Brownies for breakfast and decided to give us a little education on how to catch fish in JR's fishing hole. We used foxee's, paddlebugs, and tubes tipped with mealys with equal success with each. We fished in about 20 feet deep on the bottom 1-2 feet up. When I left at 11:15 Eric had caught 8, Bigcat 7, and Jr8fish 2. All were cuts in the slot. They were still going strong when I left. So hopefully they hooked into a few more and will update this report this evening. It was another great day on the hard water at the berry.
Bigcat
[signature]
just got back from the berry. Eric the eater caught 13 on the day, one of which was a massive rainbow measuring 20 inches and weighing probably close to 5 pounds. nice fat bow. i caught 4 cutts on the day. eric was fishin in the right hole. he even fell asleep and woke up several different times to the fish pullin on his rod. no kidding. it was amazing. my hole was with in 8 feet of his. his deep 19 and mine 22 ft. unfortunately i did not discover the depth difference until we had to go. lots of snow and horrible slush.

jr8fish
[signature]
I had been wondering if the dreaded slush layer was getting bad up there. It can get ugly this time of the year. You guys were smart taking the snowshoes though. Thanks for the update. Good luck on your next trip.
[signature]
good report. i was also at the berry mon and tues. monday we fished strait west of the ladders by the island. i took some guys from idaho and wendover up. they were amazed at the numbers and size of fish we iced all had a great time. in 7 hrs we iced over well over 100 cuts and eight bows. best action was on rattfinke's glow with waxies. crossineye
[signature]
Crossineye,

WOW!!! Thats a ton of fish!! How many guys did you have fishing? How deep were you fishing (just wondering if you were shallow because of the bows you got. How big was the biggest? Its fun to land so many fish even though you can't hardly keep any of them. Did you walk to the place you fished or take snowmobiles. I'm not sure where the island is cause its been years since I fished by the ladders. Was the slush bad over there too. It makes for tough walking. Thanks for the info!

Bigcat
[signature]