Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pink kokes at the Berry
[Image: IMG-20200823-140626.jpg]Took a trip last Sunday back up to Strawberry in search of some pink kokanee.  I went up the wednesday previous and had no luck.  I did find some though.  I put down the Go Fish Cam and found schools stacked up on the Soldier Creek side but couldnt get them to bite.  So this Sunday we launched at Strawberry Marina lake pretty early and motored over to SC.  It looked like we werent the only ones who thought wed find them over there.  We started over by the cliffs and did pretty good.  We worked back and forth from the dam to about the start of the cliffs and limited out by 11 am.  Fish were caught between 45 ft - 60ft in 80 to 110 FOW.  With not getting any bites Wednesday I went to bigger dodgers to try and excite the fish and coax them to bite.  The large Double D's and pink whatever it lure it was did the trick.  The weather was fantastic and the wind didnt come up until around 100. This Sunday up to give it another go.
I like the large Double D dodger this time of year and I add a glow green on it. and will use a 12" leader to the squid, are a 18" leader if I use a spinner
and glow beads.     and sometimes a 8" flasher will work  and with them I go with a even  longer leader
(08-27-2020, 02:52 PM)knottyhookr Wrote: Took a trip last Sunday back up to Strawberry in search of some pink kokanee.  I went up the wednesday previous and had no luck.  I did find some though.  I put down the Go Fish Cam and found schools stacked up on the Soldier Creek side but couldnt get them to bite.  So this Sunday we launched at Strawberry Marina lake pretty early and motored over to SC.  It looked like we werent the only ones who thought wed find them over there.  We started over by the cliffs and did pretty good.  We worked back and forth from the dam to about the start of the cliffs and limited out by 11 am.  Fish were caught between 45 ft - 60ft in 80 to 110 FOW.  With not getting any bites Wednesday I went to bigger dodgers to try and excite the fish and coax them to bite.  The large Double D's and pink whatever it lure it was did the trick.  The weather was fantastic and the wind didnt come up until around 100. This Sunday up to give it another go.

Nice report. We did well in that area of SC earlier, but had a tough time finding them last weekend. I usually like to pull large Sling Blades or 8" Gold Star Salmon Dodgers to get more response. Has not disappointed this season.
(08-27-2020, 03:18 PM)liketrolling Wrote: I like the large Double D dodger this time of year and I add a glow green on it. and will use a 12" leader to the squid, are a 18" leader if I use a spinner
and glow beads.     and sometimes a 8" flasher will work  and with them I go with a even  longer leader

I've been dabbling with making my own dodgers and spinners.  Had pretty good success with them so far.  Going to give glow powder paint a try and see how that works.  I've usually had good success with the large double D's at Flaming Gorge but not at Strawberry.  This year has been full of firsts for me.  I've watched a couple of your videos on YouTube making your own dodgers.  If you don't mind me asking where are you getting your dodger blanks and tape?  I'm getting mine from Hagen's and just got some cool tape off of Ebay from Mad river custom fishing tackle.  Thanks for the comment on the post!!!

(08-27-2020, 08:20 PM)TiteLines Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 02:52 PM)knottyhookr Wrote: Took a trip last Sunday back up to Strawberry in search of some pink kokanee.  I went up the wednesday previous and had no luck.  I did find some though.  I put down the Go Fish Cam and found schools stacked up on the Soldier Creek side but couldnt get them to bite.  So this Sunday we launched at Strawberry Marina lake pretty early and motored over to SC.  It looked like we werent the only ones who thought wed find them over there.  We started over by the cliffs and did pretty good.  We worked back and forth from the dam to about the start of the cliffs and limited out by 11 am.  Fish were caught between 45 ft - 60ft in 80 to 110 FOW.  With not getting any bites Wednesday I went to bigger dodgers to try and excite the fish and coax them to bite.  The large Double D's and pink whatever it lure it was did the trick.  The weather was fantastic and the wind didnt come up until around 100. This Sunday up to give it another go.

Nice report. We did well in that area of SC earlier, but had a tough time finding them last weekend. I usually like to pull large Sling Blades or 8" Gold Star Salmon Dodgers to get more response. Has not disappointed this season.

We did have a T5 dodger that did well for us.  I'm usually up at the Berry Wednesday's and Sunday's.  I drive a maroon and grey Lund Impact 1875.  If you see me up there say hello.  I'm always willing to share intel on what's working and where's working for me.