Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek first trip in 7 years
Didn't realize it had been so long since my last trip to Lost Creek.  But that trip was just over 7 years ago, 10 Aug 2013.  That trip cost me a busted trailer bunk bracket on the road up the hill from the dam. I did catch 1 fish that year.

[Image: 03-Lost-Creek-10-Aug-2013.jpg]  
      10 Aug 2013

Well the road all the way in from the Croyden split, over the dam, and up the side of the mountain is in MUCH better shape. New asphalt and no pot holes  Big Grin  .  

Got on the water this morning about 8:20 a.m.  It was Soooooo nice to be on calm water, no power squadron knuckleheads, and no Willard Bay midges or bugs of any kind this morning.  I slow trolled some worm baited jigs, some Gulp minnows, some white curly tail grubs, and a couple cranks that have worked in years past.  No joy. 

But once out in the main body of the lake between the sand bar and the dam, in just a very light cool breeze, I shut down the motor and just drifted. Had a small white jig head on a leader about 2 feet under a bass casting weight down at what I would guess to be 60-70 fow, and on second pole a small pink and white flig (commercial) down about 30-40 fow, both jigs tipped with small piece of crawler.  Only started the motor up when my drift was taking me a bit closer than I wanted to be to the east shore line.   I had taken the time to bend flat all the barbs on all the hooks I used. Trout type fish are not my favorite eating selection except when I'm camping and wrap them in foil and shove in a camp fire coals.  So I had no plans to keep any catch today (unless I could bag some Chubs). 
Anyway, I just kicked back, enjoyed the cool, calm, and quiet. 
About 1000 a.m. one pole started rattling and jumpin in the holder. The one down at the 60-70 fow. At 1003 had what looked to me a slot size Cut (I think it was a Cut) but it had the hook barely thru some skin on it's upper lip. Barely got it into the boat, and hook broke out. So took a quick pic and released it. 

Just about 1115 the wind came up fairly strong from the south-east and I called it a day. 

[Image: 01-27-Aug-2020-0820-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 02.jpg]  [Image: 03.jpg]  [Image: 04.jpg]

[Image: 05-Cutthroat-1004-a-m.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
A day of relaxation is what it's about. I haven't been there fishing for 3yrs. It's been a good little lake for a day getaway but the launch ramp is not complete if there is no courtesy dock. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Never has been a dock as far as I can remember. But my small boat is easy to just nudge up onto the mud bank off to the side of  the ramp.

Cool
I have so many good memories of LC as a kid. Looking at your photos they show the area we hunted as kids. Lots of hotdogs and frank and beans met their demise on that mt range.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I fished it today also...wasn't planning to, but I have a disabled buddy that likes going there, because he can sit in a chair off the shoreline right of the boat ramp, near that single pine tree...Usually that pine tree is closer to the water, but the level is down quite a bit right now..He needs help up and down the bank, getting his poles organized, etc....and then got him in his chair, and then he fell asleep....Now that's a day of fishing relaxation!!...fishing from shore isn't my thing anymore, but I sure did a lot more of it when I had little grandkids, or with scouts up in the Uinta's...it's still fishing, and it's a line in the water....He did have a few bites, but couldn't hook anything today...I got 2, 11/12" rainbow planters that I filleted and gave to another buddy back home...and like Tin Can said, clear blue skies, no wind, no bugs....just a good morning to sit with an old friend...
Hey Tin Can, what’s your thoughts on what happened to the tail of your fish?
(08-29-2020, 03:28 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Hey Tin Can, what’s your thoughts on what happened to the tail of your fish?

I hadn't noticed that gap in the tail fins. Looking at it now, enlarged, it looks as if some of them are kind of tucked back under. But for sure, have no idea. 

Cool
I've caught quite a few cutts up at Lost Creek with split tails like that.  I have no idea why...