Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Annual Lincoln Beach Catfish Blitz and Cleanup
I would like to hold our Annual Catfish Blitz and Cleanup at Lincoln Beach next Saturday, September 5. We have adopted LB as our area to keep clean and are supposed to hold 3 cleanup get-togethers and then keep it up as best we can in between. I have done what I can at the launch ramp as I've gone along. It seems that the job has fallen mostly to those down here in southern Utah County but we sure appreciated all who helped out when we hosted the Flotilla last year. I hope that some of you who occasionally come down from the north will join us. That means you: Pat, Paul, Forest, Sean, Sean, Kent, etc.

I started the Blitz a couple of years ago as a day to hit the lake in force to try to catch up to the North Team in the contest. If next Saturday is a really bad day for someone we can make it the 12th. Let me know.

There is a couch sitting on the berm by the dock. I noticed a white bucket full of crap out on the point of the north dike. I don't bank fish anymore so I don't know how bad it is out there but it's probably pretty gross. It seems this area attracts members of the Slobs-R-Us club. I have some heavy-duty trash bags and gloves provided by the Utah Lake Commission. I'll have them there on Saturday but it wouldn't hurt if you brought your own in case we don't meet up. We won't plan to do any socializing per se what with covid, but if we wear masks and/or keep our distances we could at least say hi. Some will want to clean up early and then fish and vice versa. And of course you can go anytime.

Feedback?

Well, duh. I just realized that the 5th is over the Labor Day weekend. Probably better make the Blitz and Cleanup the 12th. Let me know what you think.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Long range forecrash shows it will be a nice sunny day with mild breezes.  Ideal for an early morning fishing session and then a cleanup later.  If that works for you I will fish early and clean up later.

By the way, I still want to do some off-season cleanout of the entrances to the two old launch ramps at the L.  Attaching some pictures showing the old access and the current blockage with pharagmites.  As the water drops a bit  we should be able to clean out those ramps for tubes, toons, yaks and cartops.

[Image: L-AT-LOW-TIDE.jpg][/url][url=https://ibb.co/DgqTzYN][Image: L-LAUNCH.jpg][Image: L-LAUNCH-RAMP.jpg]
(08-28-2020, 02:02 PM)catchinon Wrote: I hope that some of you who occasionally come down from the north will join us. That means you: Pat, Paul, Forest, Sean, Sean, Kent, etc.

"occasionally" is right.  It has been about 10 years since I have visited Lincoln Beach.
I would love to help, but probably won't make it.  I've never been to Lincoln Beach.  I've only fished out of Lindon or the State Park, as it takes me over an hour to just get to those places.  Never did make it down to the pond down south this year.  Maybe next year.
I'm in.... after I go fishun'.
Thanks for the feedback. TD I'm assuming you are referring to the 5th, a week from today. We'll stick with that date and hope that others can make it. Now I remember seeing how clogged up those ramps were at the L. I'm all for a cleanout there. Give me a rare chance to use my chest waders. Don't know what kind of date you are thinking but I vote to not make it too late. I also don't know how much we'll have to get our hands and arms in the water. What tools and techniqes are used? Do you think we can get some help from the Utah Lake Commission? I know Sam is pretty supportive of anything we want to do, or at least I think he would be.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(08-29-2020, 03:43 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the feedback. TD I'm assuming you are referring to the 5th, a week from today. We'll stick with that date and hope that others can make it. Now I remember seeing how clogged up those ramps were at the L. I'm all for a cleanout there. Give me a rare chance to use my chest waders. Don't know what kind of date you are thinking but I vote to not make it too late. I also don't know how much we'll have to get our hands and arms in the water. What tools and techniqes are used? Do you think we can get some help from the Utah Lake Commission? I know Sam is pretty supportive of anything we want to do, or at least I think he would be.
Ideally we would have a Bobcat with a front-end scooper.  But I doubt that will happen.  I haven't checked actual conditions since the water levels started dropping, but I am guessing that we will be working in very shallow water...not more than 2' deep and maybe less.  And I am also guessing that plain old shovel power will dislodge the phragmites roots from the concrete ramp...with some mud on it.  Might need a machete.  I'll bring one.  Lopping shears might be in order too.  Water will be warm.  Wet tennies will work for those who don't bring waders.

We don't have to do a major deconstruction project at this time, but it would be nice to open those mini ramps up for small craft use.  Make it a lot closer for those of us who like to fish that area.

And yes, Saturday the 5th is on my calendar.  Fishing early and work later.

Wouldn't hurt to check in with Sam at the Commission.  He might know somebody who knows somebody with a Bobcat.  Probably also a good idea to see if we would be violating any protocol in just doing it ourselves.  Hope we don't need an environmental impact study and all that.
Craig,  hoping to get back down to LB next month, but not on 5 Sept. Last hoorah over Labor Day, not the time I want to be on the water there or on the roads either.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool