Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay trip # 14 PB day
Got on WB south at 8:28 this morning.  A beautiful morning, 2 other fishing rigs already on the water.  Calm, very few bugs, almost empty lake as far as I could see. My last couple trips to WB had produced some nice table fare Cats, and I had GPS marked those spots. Trolled a wide slow S pattern from the buoy line east toward the feed lot, out in 14 to 16 fow. Crossed directly over my first mark, got a pop and drop in close vicinity, continued to second marker about 200 yards further east, got to just the far edge of it, BAM, good size Cat sucked up my fire tiger trap. One hour and two minutes on the water and Cat # 1 in the boat. 

[Image: 078-2-Sep-2020-0828-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 079-Cat-1-0930-a-m.jpg]

Had already gotten one line rigged with raw shrimp, so soon as the first Cat was in the live well, Dropped anchor, cast bait rigged line out. Had not even gotten it set it the rod holder, ziiiinnnnggg, out it went. 7 minutes after Cat # 1, Cat # 2 was welcomed on board. 

[Image: 080-Cat-2-0937-a-m.jpg]

Rigged up second pole and cast it out the opposite side of boat.  Poured a fresh cup of coffee, and relaxed. Had several tentative tugs and nibbles but exactly 1 hour from Cat #2 climbing on board,  Cat # 3 bent my second pole. And he joined his mates in the live well.  And 7 minutes after #3, #4 hit the first pole while I was re-baiting the  second one. 

[Image: 081-Cat-3-1038-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 082-Cat-4-1045-a-m.jpg]

Just over 2 hours on the water and 4 Cats have volunteered to go home with me for some future dinner. Wow, this is shaping up to be a better that average day, for me, anyway. Barely get both poles back in the water, wait about 12 minutes, Cat #5 comes to join his friends. And 18 minutes after that, #6 is added to the box. 

[Image: 083-Cat-5-1057-a-m.jpg]   [Image: 084-Cat-6-1115-a-m.jpg]

About this time, I start wondering if I just might get a limit of Cats, and 11 minutes after # 6,  # 7 decides to join, and 20 minutes later # 8 hits my next to last piece of shrimp.   How does that work..... a legal keeper limit of Cats in just about 3 hours 30 minutes, with one piece of bait to spare, and not even noon yet. 
I call that my personal best this year, anywhere.  

[Image: 085-Cat-7-1126-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 086-Cat-8-1156-a-m.jpg]   [Image: 087-Cat-Limit-8.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-02-2020, 11:18 PM)Tin-Can looks like a good morning on the Bay, I\m between hunting trips now for a couple weeks so i would like to get out and try to get another mess of Catfish. Maybe after the big holiday, thanks for posting. Wrote: Got on WB south at 8:28 this morning.  A beautiful morning, 2 other fishing rigs already on the water.  Calm, very few bugs, almost empty lake as far as I could see. My last couple trips to WB had produced some nice table fare Cats, and I had GPS marked those spots. Trolled a wide slow S pattern from the buoy line east toward the feed lot, out in 14 to 16 fow. Crossed directly over my first mark, got a pop and drop in close vicinity, continued to second marker about 200 yards further east, got to just the far edge of it, BAM, good size Cat sucked up my fire tiger trap. One hour and two minutes on the water and Cat # 1 in the boat. 

Had already gotten one line rigged with raw shrimp, so soon as the first Cat was in the live well, Dropped anchor, cast bait rigged line out. Had not even gotten it set it the rod holder, ziiiinnnnggg, out it went. 7 minutes after Cat # 1, Cat # 2 was welcomed on board. 

Rigged up second pole and cast it out the opposite side of boat.  Poured a fresh cup of coffee, and relaxed. Had several tentative tugs and nibbles but exactly 1 hour from Cat #2 climbing on board,  Cat # 3 bent my second pole. And he joined his mates in the live well.  And 7 minutes after #3, #4 hit the first pole while I was re-baiting the  second one. 

Just over 2 hours on the water and 4 Cats have volunteered to go home with me for some future dinner. Wow, this is shaping up to be a better that average day, for me, anyway. Barely get both poles back in the water, wait about 12 minutes, Cat #5 comes to join his friends. And 18 minutes after that, #6 is added to the box. 

About this time, I start wondering if I just might get a limit of Cats, and 11 minutes after # 6,  # 7 decides to join, and 20 minutes later # 8 hits my next to last piece of shrimp.   How does that work..... a legal keeper limit of Cats in just about 3 hours 30 minutes, with one piece of bait to spare, and not even noon yet. 

[Image: 085-Cat-7-1126-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 086-Cat-8-1156-a-m.jpg]   [Image: 087-Cat-Limit-8.jpg]
(09-02-2020, 11:49 PM)PACKFAN Wrote: [quote='Tin-Can looks like a good morning on the Bay, I\'m between hunting trips now for a couple weeks so i would like to get out and try to get another mess of Catfish. Maybe after the big holiday, thanks for posting.

Got on WB south at 8:28 this morning.  A beautiful morning, 2 other fishing rigs already on the water.  Calm, very few bugs, almost empty lake as far as I could see. My last couple trips to WB had produced some nice table fare Cats, and I had GPS marked those spots. Trolled a wide slow S pattern from the buoy line east toward the feed lot, out in 14 to 16 fow. Crossed directly over my first mark, got a pop and drop in close vicinity, continued to second marker about 200 yards further east, got to just the far edge of it, BAM, good size Cat sucked up my fire tiger trap. One hour and two minutes on the water and Cat # 1 in the boat. 

PACKFAN - Yep, sure was. Power squadron traffic will probably start picking up on Friday and run thru Monday.  But mid week next week I may try it again.' pid='1104886' dateline='1599088720']

Cool
Nice mess of cats Forest!  Great day!
Well done sir.
That sounds like you had a fun day. Congrats.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Forest great job on a fridge filling day.
(09-03-2020, 12:47 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Nice mess of cats Forest!  Great day!

Thanks Paul. Was just about the perfect day.

(09-03-2020, 02:58 AM)catchinon Wrote: That sounds like you had a fun day. Congrats.

Yep. Sure did.

(09-03-2020, 06:16 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Hey Forest great job on a fridge filling day.

Thanks. Can't seem to get a contest bumper, so restocking the freezer was a great Plan B.

Cool
(09-03-2020, 11:09 AM)Tin-Can Wrote:

(09-03-2020, 02:58 AM)catchinon Wrote: That sounds like you had a fun day. Congrats.

Yep. Sure did.

(09-03-2020, 06:16 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Hey Forest great job on a fridge filling day.

Thanks. Can't seem to get a contest bumper, so restocking the freezer was a great Plan B.
Forest, I thought that might be you sitting a little north of me. I had a similar day drifting marinated chicken through the feedlot. Found a couple more just outside the mouth of the marina.  Good to see the water temp dropping. TD says good things happens when it gets below 70.  Just over 71 yesterday morning. Good job!
Way to go, good sir. Posting this to boost your reply contest total.
Great report and congrats on the limit of cats!
Way to go Forest, that ole tight mistress gave up after all your persistence... congrats you deserve a great day... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Have to love not searching anymore and just put the lines down and catch fish. Great report.

fnf
it feels like the fall run is about upon us - you may have kicked off the season in style for us
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-03-2020, 01:19 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Way to go, good sir. Posting this to boost your reply contest total.

Gee thanks Rocky. Haven't paid much attention to that  post contest   Big Grin

(09-03-2020, 11:49 AM)FatBiker Wrote:

Yep. Sure did.

Forest, I thought that might be you sitting a little north of me. I had a similar day drifting marinated chicken through the feedlot. Found a couple more just outside the mouth of the marina.  Good to see the water temp dropping. TD says good things happens when it gets below 70.  Just over 71 yesterday morning. Good job!

Larry,  I thought maybe that was you in the white boat? Would have drifted by to say howdy, but I just couldn't pull myself off the bite, plus I know lots of us don't really appreciate someone "anglin" in on our "anti-social distancing" (as TD calls it) space.   Cool

(09-03-2020, 04:30 PM)fishinfool Wrote: Have to love not searching anymore and just put the lines down and catch fish. Great report.

fnf

I wasn't quite expecting that good of a day, but getting out on calm water, with cool air, low bug count, and even lower power squadron count was great .

(09-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: it feels like the fall run is about upon us - you may have kicked off the season in style for us

I don't know about kicking off the season, and the weather is forecast to get hot again over this weekend, but any time I can do a limit of anything (except bugs) at Willard, I'll gladly take it.  
 How's Cookie doing ?  Gonna get back out to the water anytime soon ?

Cool
(09-03-2020, 06:09 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 01:19 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Way to go, good sir. Posting this to boost your reply contest total.

Gee thanks Rocky. Haven't paid much attention to that  post contest   Big Grin

(09-03-2020, 11:49 AM)FatBiker Wrote:

Yep. Sure did.

Larry,  I thought maybe that was you in the white boat? Would have drifted by to say howdy, but I just couldn't pull myself off the bite, plus I know lots of us don't really appreciate someone "anglin" in on our "anti-social distancing" (as TD calls it) space.   Cool

(09-03-2020, 04:30 PM)fishinfool Wrote: Have to love not searching anymore and just put the lines down and catch fish. Great report.

fnf

I wasn't quite expecting that good of a day, but getting out on calm water, with cool air, low bug count, and even lower power squadron count was great .

(09-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: it feels like the fall run is about upon us - you may have kicked off the season in style for us

I don't know about kicking off the season, and the weather is forecast to get hot again over this weekend, but any time I can do a limit of anything (except bugs) at Willard, I'll gladly take it.  
 How's Cookie doing ?  Gonna get back out to the water anytime soon ?

Well that was wierd. It copied everything but did not include my comments.

Cookie is doing a lot better and is ready to get back on the hunt for that 30" cat. Thanks for asking Forest.

On the other had, I had my first ambulance ride, and they are still trying to figure out whats up - really putting a damper on my water time.

But soon. Soon we will be back in the fray and on the hunt for water critters. Hope we see some of ya all this fall.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-02-2020, 11:18 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Got on WB south at 8:28 this morning.  A beautiful morning, 2 other fishing rigs already on the water.  Calm, very few bugs, almost empty lake as far as I could see. My last couple trips to WB had produced some nice table fare Cats, and I had GPS marked those spots. Trolled a wide slow S pattern from the buoy line east toward the feed lot, out in 14 to 16 fow. Crossed directly over my first mark, got a pop and drop in close vicinity, continued to second marker about 200 yards further east, got to just the far edge of it, BAM, good size Cat sucked up my fire tiger trap. One hour and two minutes on the water and Cat # 1 in the boat. 

Good job on the cats. Glad to hear the crowds  have let up some too. Sounds like a great outing.
Boosting your reply count for the win!