Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One more catfish question
Smile 
So I caught a catfish! I fished Pruess lake one evening and caught one, had some problems since my mushy minnows didn't stay on too well. I was happy tho. Used a Carolina rig and octopus hook. Still I don't really know what I'm doing Big Grin I tried just leaving the rod there and caught 2 fish doing that but I got a question for you catfish guys, do you hold your rod while you wait or leave it on the ground? How do you detect a strike? Do you set the hook or let the fish hook themselves? Thanks you guys.
Using an octopus for wipers, I wait until the fish straightens out the line and when they start taking it, I just start reeeling. The fish hook themselves. I acutally caught a catfish on willard the other day while using mussles on a carolina rig with an octopus hook, and when the line started to take off, I just started reeling and caught the catfish. For bait, catfish will hit almost anything that stinks, so beef liver or chicken gizzrds are good options that will stay on the hook better. It is cheap bait as well.
Gabe
I use a good rod stand. 
[Image: KODAK-Digital-Still-Camera.jpg][Image: DSCN4864.jpg]
This is one that Forest(Tin-Can) made for me. just a rebar and PVC pipe. I also use circle hooks. don't really need to set the hook fish dose that for you. The strike is strong bending your rod way down and stripping line off the reel.
There's Always Time For One More Cast
I'm glad you caught a couple of cats. That little lake seems to have a bit of every kind of fish in it. Did you encounter any of the Sacramento Perch? They're still on my list but I wasn't able to go down this spring like I wanted to.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(09-04-2020, 03:16 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: So I caught a catfish! I fished Pruess lake one evening and caught one, had some problems since my mushy minnows didn't stay on too well. I was happy tho. Used a Carolina rig and octopus hook. Still I don't really know what I'm doing Big Grin I tried just leaving the rod there and caught 2 fish doing that but I got a question for you catfish guys, do you hold your rod while you wait or leave it on the ground? How do you detect a strike? Do you set the hook or let the fish hook themselves? Thanks you guys.

Don't ever leave your rod unsecured when fishing for Cats or Wiper. THEY WILL hit at the most unexpected time, and you WILL lose your pole.  I'm sure  there are several folks here that can attest to that from experience. In a boat, use a rod holder. On the bank, USE A ROD HOLDER.  Good idea to leave your reel drag loose, or even the bail open if you use a spinning reel,  so the fish will pull the drag, and not the whole rig. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[Image: 03-upgraded-rod-holder.jpg]

This is rod holder I built to use at Bear River or other places I might fish from the bank.  Cheap and easy to build. 
Just need to use a large  hammer to put the re-bar in the ground. I keep a short handle 2 lb. sledge in my truck tool box, along with enough rod holders for 2 of us using 2 poles each. Works great.  Get the re-bar at least 8 to 10 inches down in the ground. 

[Image: 060.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool