Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vexlar FLX 30
I noticed that Vexilar has come out with a new flasher.  They call it the FLX 30.  Not a lot of information out about it yet... too new.  Looks like it is made more for deeper water use.  I am not a deep water person, so I doubt it is something I am interested in. Added features over the FLX 28 include 3 power level settings, 3 zoom modes, 2 manuel depth ranges to 300 feet, 7 frequencies from 160 to 300, 140 interference rejection options (7 frequencies with 20 settings each), and a new lithium battery. I have a FL8 that I have been using for about 20 years or more and a FLX28 that does everything except clean and cook the fish.  Nice units.  They certainly have helped me increase my catch rate.    
Is the Vexilar any better than other brands?  Personal choice, but I can vouch for their reliability.  My family owns 5 units and all have been trouble free.  Two of them are + or - 20 years old.
I too own an FLX-28 vexilar that I absolutely love. The thing performs like a champ. The only upgrade that I might do is put a lithium-ion battery and replace the heavy lead-acid battery. I picked up one from Dakota lithium and tested it on the vex and the 7 amp hr battery lasted beyond 8 hours at room temp, so I guess maybe I could get 5 or 6 hours at colder temps. But it makes the unit so much lighter to carry. I have owned the Humminbird ice 35 and the Marcum LX-7 both.  The Humminbird did okay. The Marcum bit the dust after a year past the warranty. Somehow it got water inside the unit near the screen and it was toast. I should have originally went with the trusted name in electronics the first time. You live and you learn by making mistakes. My two cents....
Gabe
My FL 22 lasted 6 seasons before I sold it used for more than I paid for it new.  I replaced it with an FLX 28 in Dec 2016.  I'll be using the 28 for at least another 3 or 4 seasons as it does everything I need it to do for ice fishing.  At over $700 retail, the FLX 30 doesn't offer that much of an advantage over my FLX 28.  Both this years models (28 & 30) can be had with lithium batteries for over $700 MSR.  I would probably choose the 30 for about $80 more if I were buying new today.  I know there are lots of brand choices out there, but for me the only choice is Vexilar for ice fishing.  If I can afford the best, I want the best.  And for my money that would be Vexilar.  YMMV!   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I have heard lithium batteries don't do well in the cold. Might want to check that out before you make the change. I have never run out of battery life with my Vex's. I have rigged up a string (16 ft) of L.E.D. lights that will run off my Vex battery for night fishing. I don't expect to see much of a drain on battery life even while running the light string.
(09-10-2020, 03:12 AM)Bow-Dude Wrote: I have heard lithium batteries don't do well in the cold.  Might want to check that out before you make the change.  I have never run out of battery life with my Vex's.  I have rigged up a string (16 ft) of L.E.D. lights that will run off my Vex battery for night fishing.  I don't expect to see much of a drain on battery life even while running the light string.
I have heard the opposite. In fact, I ran into another BFT guy perchinski last winter on Rockport and he was running his sonar with a lithium ion battery and he said it worked really well in the cold. 
Gabe
Okay, let's cut to the chase on this one.  There are lots of companies making/selling lithium ion batteries (LIBs) these days.  And they all have there marketing spiels to get you to buy their brand of LIBs.  Who ya gonna believe?  Well, here is a link to a very technical treatise on LIBs, how they work, and what temperature extremes do to them.  I'll give you a hint - cold does affect LIBs.  Here's the link:

Temperature effect and thermal impact in lithium-ion batteries: A review
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Battery life has never been an issue with my Vex's. I have gone over two days running my FL8 and did not run out of power. Never gone more than 8 hours with the FLX28. Currently I have no need to change batteries. I don"t think my 28 has ever dropped below 80%..
(09-11-2020, 03:35 AM)Bow-Dude Wrote: Battery life has never been an issue with my Vex's.  I have gone over two days running my FL8 and did not run out of power.  Never gone more than 8 hours with the FLX28.  Currently I have no need to change batteries.  I don"t think my 28 has ever dropped below 80%..
I generally get 3 or 4 trips out of a full battery charge with my 28.  That's spending 4 to 5 hours on the ice each trip.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(09-10-2020, 01:47 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay, let's cut to the chase on this one.  There are lots of companies making/selling lithium ion batteries (LIBs) these days.  And they all have there marketing spiels to get you to buy their brand of LIBs.  Who ya gonna believe?  Well, here is a link to a very technical treatise on LIBs, how they work, and what temperature extremes do to them.  I'll give you a hint - cold does affect LIBs.  Here's the link:

Hey Bob -- I hope you read that whole article....just some of it was giving me my very own Redox Reaction....so I had to carefully back out... Big Grin
(09-11-2020, 04:13 AM)Jmorfish Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 01:47 PM)dubob Wrote: Okay, let's cut to the chase on this one.  There are lots of companies making/selling lithium ion batteries (LIBs) these days.  And they all have there marketing spiels to get you to buy their brand of LIBs.  Who ya gonna believe?  Well, here is a link to a very technical treatise on LIBs, how they work, and what temperature extremes do to them.  I'll give you a hint - cold does affect LIBs.  Here's the link:

Hey Bob -- I hope you read that whole article....just some of it was giving me my very own Redox Reaction....so I had to carefully back out... Big Grin
Yeah, it was just a tad on the technical side for sure.  But, hopefully, you and others will have gotten deep enough into it to understand that cold temps do have an impact on LIB battery function.  Actually, on ANY type of battery in common use today.  But the nice thing about LIBs is that you get full voltage until the instant you don't where lead acid batteries degrade slowly over time.  I monitor my lead acid battery level at the end of each ice session and I don't recharge until it gets down to about 11.8 vdc.  The unit functions just fine up to that point.  And my batteries last at least 5 seasons or more.  I don't see any real need for the more expensive LIBs as I haul my gear with a power sled and don't worry about weight.
Bob Hicks, from Utah