Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questioning Trolling Speed . !!!
Pat, I have been gona reply to this twist this post has taken a couple times but Cookie threatened to whack me upside the head if I did - something about maybe she should be the moderator and not me. I cant believe I get into trouble just by thinking about getting into trouble.

You and Bob are in for so much crap when Cookie catches up to you.

Now back to the whole trolling subject (for fish) - I also like this video as he get into trolling speed control when you dont have electronics to tell you your speed. Some good tips. (I dont troll often so this thread has got me in a learning curve searching info and its proving to be very practical skills for non trolling situations just thinking about reaction to lure presentation)

https://youtu.be/1wwKrv_8T3M
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-10-2020, 01:20 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat, I have been gona reply to this twist this post has taken a couple times but Cookie threatened to whack me upside the head if I did - something about maybe she should be the moderator and not me. I cant believe I get into trouble just by thinking about getting into trouble.

Now back to the whole trolling subject (for fish)  - I also  like this video as he get into trolling speed control when you dont have electronics to tell you your speed. Some good tips. (I dont troll often so this thread has got me in a learning curve searching info and its proving to be very practical skills for non trolling situations just thinking about reaction to lure presentation)

My apologies to Cookie.  

One other thing on trolling that occurred to me...after getting into trolling a bit more with my new motor and battery setup on my tube.  That is that while making S turns is a good ploy at higher speeds...I drag most of my goodies at lower speeds.  So simply turning the motor down for a few seconds, followed by a few seconds of speed up can often stimulate strikes by "followers".   Most prey species...especially distressed ones...tend to swim more erratically and not at a constant speed in a straight line.  Heck, I even either pump the rod once in a while or even twist from side to side in my tube to create some variation at the business end.  Can't count the times that has resulted in going bendo.

Bottom line for all trollers is to keep changing up your stuff if the fish ain't voting for what you are serving.

Sorry, again, Cookie.  Okay?
(09-10-2020, 02:51 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 01:20 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat, I have been gona reply to this twist this post has taken a couple times but Cookie threatened to whack me upside the head if I did - something about maybe she should be the moderator and not me. I cant believe I get into trouble just by thinking about getting into trouble.

Now back to the whole trolling subject (for fish)  - I also  like this video as he get into trolling speed control when you dont have electronics to tell you your speed. Some good tips. (I dont troll often so this thread has got me in a learning curve searching info and its proving to be very practical skills for non trolling situations just thinking about reaction to lure presentation)

My apologies to Cookie.  

One other thing on trolling that occurred to me...after getting into trolling a bit more with my new motor and battery setup on my tube.  That is that while making S turns is a good ploy at higher speeds...I drag most of my goodies at lower speeds.  So simply turning the motor down for a few seconds, followed by a few seconds of speed up can often stimulate strikes by "followers".   Most prey species...especially distressed ones...tend to swim more erratically and not at a constant speed in a straight line.  Heck, I even either pump the rod once in a while or even twist from side to side in my tube to create some variation at the business end.  Can't count the times that has resulted in going bendo.

Bottom line for all trollers is to keep changing up your stuff if the fish ain't voting for what you are serving.

Sorry, again, Cookie.  Okay?

LOL, Cookie say you have 10 "get out of jail free cards" cause you "got me trying to make homemade lures which keeps me out of her hair for hours" and you "tell good Willard Bay monster stories", plus she just like ya.

Bob on the other hand is a "rascal", and must take her out on his snow-mo-bill  to his honey hole at Hyrum to catch some big perch, to make amends. Apparently, I walk to slow, dragging the sled and my spots suck and she thinks only Bob knows where the bigs one hide there.

Back on topic: I was thinking that trolling is a lot like jigging. When you are jigging the speed, drop, stop and go, ext, like you all discussed for trolling in these comments apply, as well. Its amazing how many hits will come on the drop or just after your drop stopped (probably more than we realize as they are so easy to miss as contact with the lure is hard to maintain on the drop. And with lakers sometimes the best bite is on a fast reel up, activating a chase instinct - on the ice it can be really wild to watch the chase up with electronics (reminds me of the wiper fast trolling comment) And how many times does the bite get active when you bounce the jig in the mud stiring up activity - like a bottom bouncer slowly dragging a walleye rig. Anywho - nothing you dont know, was just pondering how what you guys said about trolling fits so many different methods.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-10-2020, 03:52 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Bob on the other hand is a "rascal", and must take her out on his snow-mo-bill  to his honey hole at Hyrum to catch some big perch, to make amends. Apparently, I walk to slow, dragging the sled and my spots suck and she thinks only Bob knows where the bigs one hide there.
I've been called worse.  Big Grin

Always room on the power sled for Cookie.

And it's not me that knows where the big ones are - it's my fishing partner that knows.

[Image: voowPbZ.gif]

Doing the 'S-curve' maneuver while trolling is a well used method by many boat drivers and works very well on kokanee.  Since I'm basically a lazy boat driver, I opted for the iTroll with hunt mode to change/control my trolling speeds with greater precision.  The iTroll has 8 programmable modes and can control one or two outboards as needed.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."