Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach cleanup
We tried to hold a group cleanup at LB last Saturday in conjunction with a fishing day, the Annual Blitz. Neither really happened. TD cleaned up at the L and I went fishing. I don't know if anyone else did anything but if you did I'd like to know. We had several people who said they could come but ended up with other obligations that got in the way. Plus, I didn't give much advance notice. My bad. This is not intended as a goad to anyone, just a report. I've been loath to call a group cleanup due to the pandemic. But we still need to fulfill our obligation.

I talked to Sam Braegger at the UL Commission, who spearheads the Adopt a Shoreline program. He understood completely and said not to feel guilty for not getting more done. We decided that just having individuals work on it when they can will be fine in our situation. I think it might be nice if anyone who wants to get involved could hook up with one or two others to spend an hour on it. I am available almost any time and would enjoy the camaraderie of working with others, but not too close and with masks on Shy . Sam told me that all 26 access sites around the lake have now been adopted and they have added some areas and split others up to accommodate all the groups and individuals who want to help out. They actually have something like three more groups that cover Lincoln Point. Several Dedicated Hunters have also been looking for opportunities to get in some service hours as have people who have been ordered by the courts to do some service. I asked if he could send some our way and he said he would. I told them there is a couch by the dock and he has someone who will come and haul it away. I was going to do it Saturday but didn't have anybody to help me load it.  

We also talked about phrags and tamarisk. "They" are going to begin more abatement work soon with poisoning followed by mowing. 

This all begs the question: do we really want to continue doing this? I'm afraid that I bit off something that no one else wants to chew. If you have feelings one way or the other please let me know so we can plan for the future.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig if we get support I'm down for doing the cleanup if I can use the help of my boys. With my surgeries I don't bend real well but my kids are great helpers. Sorry about last Saturday, Carson got baptized so that unfortunately took preSadence. But we have taken part in every other cleanup day and will as long we have them. But I also understand Lincoln beach is far out there and not used by the masses of BFT'ERS, there is but a small hand full. So if others don't want to help that don't use it I fully understand. It's a long trip. To be honest I doubt I could make Willard bay, maybe but doubtful. Where I don't fish there I would have a hard time justifying to myself to make it. That's just being honest. Maybe a flotilla trip but just a cleanup, no.