Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fligonometry
Last fall CowboyPirate was the gracious host for a show and tell session on making fligs.  I have been getting inquiries on fligs and on the chances for having another how-to get-together.  If anybody has a suitable amount of space and is masochistic enough to want to host another tutorial, I would be happy to show up and flig some foam goodies.

Quite a few newer members...not familiar with my cutesy term for floating jigs (fligs) have also been asking what the heck they are and how to get some.  Of course you can buy several makes, models and colors from storefront or online tackle purveyors.  But I started making my own a long time ago and I am always happy to help other anglers learn how to make their own.  While I do sell some of my stuff, I do not have a big commercial operation.  Most of what I sell is less costly than commercial models of similar size and quality.  But I DO have a lot of unique stuff that works well in our waters and which can't be bought elsewhere.  Oh yeah...I work cheap.  And I'm worth it.

For the benefit of anyone who wants to eddicate themselves more on fligology, I am attaching some PDF files on some of the writeups I have put together.  You will note that some have two parts.  I had to break some of the larger files down to keep them under 2 mb...as per BFT posting requirements.  Happy to answer any questions either here or in a PM.  And for anyone who wants to see some fligs up close and personal I will be happy to provide my address and directions.  You gotta bring your own masks.
Cheap, you are beyond cheap !!! Much of what you purvey would cost a lifetime to learn. You are one of a kind !! Keep flinging the fligs my friend!!
Not to go off on a tangent but fligonometry is a sine of good things, something you can secant you?
(09-13-2020, 03:28 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Not to go off on a tangent but fligonometry is a sine of good things, something you can secant you?
Nice.  I can always count on you to come up with the inverse reciprocal.

Oh yeah...if you want any you gotta have a "co-siner".
I am definitely interested, though woefully short on space to host a gathering. I look forward to reading through all the material you’ve shared here, it’s appreciated.
(09-13-2020, 03:25 PM)Therapist Wrote: Cheap,  you are beyond cheap !!!  Much of what you purvey would cost a lifetime to learn.  You are one of a kind !!  Keep flinging the fligs my friend!!
Thanks, Matt.  Heard tell you been slowing down a bit?  Still getting out?
TD's fligs might be about the only place to find these pieces of tackle right now. Most of the usual retailers that carried anything even remotely like this have just about dried up. 
As a large majority of fishing tackle of every type was made in China, it isn't coming in as it once was. I've been online looking for numerous items from bass casting weights, circle hooks, swivels, snaps, even a new seat for my boat , and though these items are out there to be found, it does take some dedicated searching.  

TD's fligs have always been fish catchers, and he has always priced them more than fairly, even "cheap" some say. 

Better get your orders in before the prices go up.  You know, supply and demand............
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I would love to host a Fligging Part two this fall. Depending on the audience we could get into some advanced design and rigging with some of your spinner blade setups or other twists on the flig. I also really liked it when the Fligging Masters  (IE the wiper wonder twins) gave the setup and methods addendum - maybe we could get a few volunteers to talk methods (Maybe BLK, Paul, or John) would show off their tricks to a 33"s cat) . Or a twist on the fun and maybe our koke masters could talk trolling. I know I would love to pick their brains for a bit. If we can pull it off with COVID constraints, I have a better building (with real heat this time) and just for Rocky I will do lamb chops with a raspberry sauce Smile

If there is interest, we could maybe target a November ish time frame. I fully plan on getting out of house health arrest in Sept/Oct and making up some time on the water, before I settle in to lure making mode.

Maybe by then I will have caught something with my pugly perch bugs and can brag while I cook.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-13-2020, 06:40 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: TD's fligs might be about the only place to find these pieces of tackle right now. Most of the usual retailers that carried anything even remotely like this have just about dried up. 
As a large majority of fishing tackle of every type was made in China, it isn't coming in as it once was. I've been online looking for numerous items from bass casting weights, circle hooks, swivels, snaps, even a new seat for my boat , and though these items are out there to be found, it does take some dedicated searching.  

TD's fligs have always been fish catchers, and he has always priced them more than fairly, even "cheap" some say. 

Better get your orders in before the prices go up.  You know, supply and demand............
Thanks for the plug.  And thanks for the heads up on availability.  I suspect MY prices may soon reflect a demand vs. availability increase.  You know how us drug dealers operate...first get ya hooked and then bump the price.

(09-13-2020, 06:58 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I would love to host a Fligging Part two this fall. Depending on the audience we could get into some advanced design and rigging with some of your spinner blade setups or other twists on the flig. I also really liked it when the Fligging Masters  (IE the wiper wonder twins) gave the setup and methods addendum - maybe we could get a few volunteers to talk methods (Maybe BLK, Paul, or John) would show off their tricks to a 33"s cat) . Or a twist on the fun and maybe our koke masters could talk trolling. I know I would love to pick their brains for a bit. If we can pull it off with COVID constraints, I have a better building (with real heat this time) and just for Rocky I will do lamb chops with a raspberry sauce Smile

If there is interest, we could maybe target a November ish time frame. I fully plan on getting out of house health arrest in Sept/Oct and making up some time on the water, before I settle in to lure making mode.

Maybe by then I will have caught something with my pugly perch bugs and can brag while I cook.
Thanks Lance.  Generous of you to offer the use of your new digs...and I know we would all like to see them.  Only thought I have is that there are interested parties both north and south of Salt Lake.  It would probably be more fair to everybody if we could find a venue somewhere in the middle.  Not absolutely necessary, but possibly.

Also, if we try to limit the time to 2 hours or less it might be better to divide it into two meetings.  One for the how-to of making the different types.  The second could be devoted to the science of colors, rigging, baits, presentations, etc.  And there are quite a few experienced fliggers in our crowd who could contribute useful info.  With that in mind, we could either have two separate meetings...or one long session on a Saturday.  Say two hours in the late morning...lunch...and then two more hours after lunch.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Waiting with bait on my breath...or however that goes...to see how your new creations work out.  They look good to me, but I don't count.  Also like to hear how you like the hangershot rigs.  
Oh my. You had me at "lamb." For that, I'd even hold TWO flashlights. And Covidiocy be damned.
Pat, as to your thoughts on a fall flig/fishing/general brewhaaa session or two:

- yes I want to
- agree central location would be better for more attendees, but still happy to host here for northern group or if we cant find a central location
- happy to cook Rockys lamb anywhere we opt to do this shindig
- had even though a Saturday morning fishing at maybe Echo followed by a fishing hoedown of random guest lectures/instructors might be fun
- in short I am game for any type of warriors council where I can listen in and borrow with pride learnings from others

lets see if any others chime in with thoughts or ideas and then we can slowly put it together

as to hanger shots, pugly perch and fishing reports in general - I have been a sick puppy (like trips to the ER in a woowoo bus sick) for quite a while and been out of commission - docs are still poking me with cattle prods and other large, gastly tools, trying to figure out what makes me tick (or in this case what isnt) - but I am making plans to sneak out of house arrest, this week, and hope: 1 cookie wont tell, 2 that she will go, 3 that I can drive further than my brothers house around the block as there are only goldfish in his pond and his wife hates me practicing methods on her pets....(its not COVID - at least they dont think so, so they cant get to mad if I sneak out)
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-14-2020, 03:20 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat, as to your thoughts on a fall flig/fishing/general brewhaaa session or two:

- yes I want to
- agree central location would be better for more attendees, but still happy to host here for northern group or if we cant find a central location
- happy to cook Rockys lamb anywhere we opt to do this shindig
- had even though a Saturday morning fishing at maybe Echo followed by a fishing hoedown of random guest lectures/instructors might be fun
- in short I am game for any type of warriors council where I can listen in and borrow with pride learnings from others

lets see if any others chime in with thoughts or ideas and then we can slowly put it together

as to hanger shots, pugly perch and fishing reports in general - I have been a sick puppy (like trips to the ER in a woowoo bus sick) for quite a while and been out of commission - docs are still poking me with cattle prods and other large, gastly tools, trying to figure out what makes me tick (or in this case what isnt) - but I am making plans to sneak out of house arrest, this week, and hope: 1 cookie wont tell, 2 that she will go, 3 that I can drive further than my brothers house around the block as there are only goldfish in his pond and his wife hates me practicing methods on her pets....(its not COVID - at least they dont think so, so they cant get to mad if I sneak out)
Wow.  Sorry to hear you have been spending more time with doctors than fish.  Maybe you are having severe withdrawal symptoms...from lackafishy.  Hope for the best.

Let's let things play out...Covid and fliggin'.  Hopefully we can arrive at a venue and time schedule agreeable to at least a few folks.  The later in the year we get the more likelihood of potential white weather.  Maybe we will have to borrow a page from the schools and go to virtual fligging.

Hang in there.
Wow Lance, sorry to hear you've been under the weather lately... Like your idea again, and the get together sounds like a lot of fun... Pat, that on-line thing may make it available to a lot larger crowd, but the lamb by wire just wouldn't be the same... Been doing lots of work meetings by electronic means this year, and they are better than nothing, but not quite the same... But they do cut down on driving and crowding the stage... Thanks you guys appreciate your efforts... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I like the online class idea. Count me in if that's the way you go!
Quote:For the benefit of anyone who wants to eddicate themselves more on fligology, I am attaching some PDF files on some of the writeups I have put together.  You will note that some have two parts.  I had to break some of the larger files down to keep them under 2 mb...as per BFT posting requirements.  Happy to answer any questions either here or in a PM.  And for anyone who wants to see some fligs up close and personal I will be happy to provide my address and directions.  You gotta bring your own masks.

Thank you Pat for the terrific write up on the subject of making and fishing 'fligs' I have been flig curious for a while now and this has helped. I finally made it through all of the PDF's, I'll have to see about getting some materials now and experiment. I'd also be quite happy to pay for some if you have some in stock that you like for Willard.
All humor aside: FIRST you get better, THEN we start to plan for a get-together. That's an order.
(09-14-2020, 08:07 PM)JArner Wrote:
Quote:For the benefit of anyone who wants to eddicate themselves more on fligology, I am attaching some PDF files on some of the writeups I have put together.  You will note that some have two parts.  I had to break some of the larger files down to keep them under 2 mb...as per BFT posting requirements.  Happy to answer any questions either here or in a PM.  And for anyone who wants to see some fligs up close and personal I will be happy to provide my address and directions.  You gotta bring your own masks.

Thank you Pat for the terrific write up on the subject of making and fishing 'fligs' I have been flig curious for a while now and this has helped. I finally made it through all of the PDF's, I'll have to see about getting some materials now and experiment. I'd also be quite happy to pay for some if you have some in stock that you like for Willard.
You might benefit by visiting my "tackletorium".  I can show you firsthand all of the stuff I use to make them, and the finished products.  Also, show you some of the better patterns.  And it might be a good idea to get just a few to try them and get a feel for them.  After that you will have a better  idea of the sizes and colors you want to make for your own use.

Those of us who use fligs on Willard a lot tend to do best with the simple small tailed fligs...in about 4 to 6 colors.  Virtually any color will work at times, but some of them seem to work almost anytime.  PM me if you would like to get my address and directions...in Taylorsville (Salt Lake West Valley area).  I have been known to conduct individual fligology sessions.
I have been on the shelf for most of the past 2 years due to my wife moving me 2X's over that time. I have a trip to Powell this week and when I get back from that , it is a Tuesday, Thursday schedule for me on the water. It has been WAY to long for sure. Will look for your big RED Doughnut on the water, I'll be in the Big Red Skeeter !!!
(09-14-2020, 08:19 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: All humor aside: FIRST you get better, THEN we start to plan for a get-together. That's an order.

Rocky, love ya man. I promise to behave myself when they herd me back into the squeeze chute for the next round of testing

and I fully plan on cooking that meal for ya, but you are right - the exact timing may be up in the air a bit

Pat, Cookie let me go AWOL today (as long as she came along to keep an eye on me) . Said I would drive her nuts if I did not get out soon and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Anwho a report will be forth coming on Pugly Perch bugs - but here is a teaser

[Image: 20200914-141517.jpg]
Pat, would you be able to share your source for the 'disco yellow' glitter dust? I've done a bit of searching online and I can certainly find some options that are close.

Thanks.