Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay trip 16 half a limit and a nice meet up
Got out to WB south before full daylight again this morning. Launched at 7:23 a.m. almost dead calm water in the marina. One other rig in the lot, a Dad with a little girl in pink jammies bank tangling off the east point, and one Tracker pulled in just as I was pulling away from  the dock. 

[Image: 0100-14-Sep-2020-0723-a-m.jpg]

Did some slow trolling on my way out to my productive Cat marks, nothing wanted a moving target. Got a text from a past coworker with a technical question, so dropped anchor in between my last 3 GPS markers at 8:50 a.m. Put out 2 lines with shrimp and answered his question. That occupied about 20 minutes, and just as I finished, my first line tightened up and started slow moving.  Lifted the rod, and first Cat must have thought he was gonna lose his breakfast 'cause he swallowed bait and hook so far down I couldn't even see the hook eyelet. That made my decision whether to keep or release. #1 Cat in the box. 

[Image: 0101-0850-a-m.jpg]    [Image: 0102-Cat-1-0914-a-m.jpg] 

15 minutes later same pole got hit again, another deep gill hook, so Cat # 2 in the box. 

[Image: 0103-Cat-2-0929-a-m.jpg]

Just got that second one in the box and line baited and back out, and a fellow Lund owner motored up quietly on his bow mount and introduced himself. A recent new member to BFT gregthatcher.  We had a quite nice "on the water" meet and greet, and told fish stories for about an hour. 
While we were jawin we each caught 2 more Cats. Didn't get those 2 of mine photoed, just unhooked 'em and put in the box with the others.  

We separated, I went a bit further north east, he went south west. But by about 11:00 a.m. the bite had stopped for me and I needed to meet up with wiperhunter2 later. So I pulled in my lines, weighed anchor (I think it weighs about 10 lbs.)  Tongue  and headed in. 

I imagine it won't be too much longer before the cleaning station is closed for the season, but it was still open, clean, and functional so I was able to turn my half limit into 8 nice fillets. 

[Image: 0104-Days-catch-1147-a-m.jpg]

Greg, was nice meeting and getting to put a face and boat with the name. Like I told you, I rarely forget a face, but remembering the name is sometimes difficult. But when I can put a name, face, and a boat all together with the same person, then I usually remember.  Thanks for motoring over this morning.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Forest, it was nice meeting you today. I have to say that the 2 fish I caught were purely accidental, I was slow trolling a Wonderbread pattern Flig tipped with fillet-o-chub and a smile blade on one rod and a 1/4oz jig tipped with a 4" Gulp minnow on the other. When I motored up to you I left them sitting on bottom. After a while I was concerned about them getting tangled so I was just reeling in when I found not one fish but two hooked up. Both cats were greedy and completely swallowed both baits.
It seems that the secret to catching fish at Willard is to park next to someone who knows what they're  doing.
Autocorrect changed Wonderbread to Wonderbra, not sure how to paint that but I'm sure it would catch fish.
"Autocorrect changed Wonderbread to Wonderbra, not sure how to paint that but I'm sure it would catch fish."

Or maybe at least fishermen...................... Big Grin
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
A Wonderbra flig is designed to lift and separate bait from bottom, but those are just the ABCs...
Ah, you guys crack me up.... Nice job Forest.