Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report - Pugly Perch Bugs and Newton
Oh the life and times of the Cowboy-Pirate crew. I wont bore you with the details except to say, we have not been on the water for sometime now due to health issues. 

Whilst under health house arrest, I spent some time making some smaller panfish fligs tied in methods similar to how you might tie a foam grasshopper or beatle for fly fishing trout but with intent to fish them off a dropshot rig. 

I finally talked Cookie into letting me go AWOL to test them. She agreed as long as she came along to watch over me and to test her new St Croix ultralight. Seemed like a reasonable accord- even for a pirate. Buckwheat - the Beared Wonder, even joined us.

Opted to run up to Newton. Hit the Mallad on the way for bait. Caught a couple smallish cats. 

We got to Newton at the worst of possible fishing times - being mid day with a chop from the wind - but undeterred we tied on a couple Pugly Perch bugs, tipped them with a bit of worm an a drop shot rig that would hold the bugs about 6-12 inches off the bottom and went to casting

The video shows the fun, but for those non video types I will say that perch and gills slammed them, and I mean slamed them. Not nibbles slammed. Cookie kept commenting on how the line would take off like a cat grabbed them. It was a ton of fun. The perch were small but Cookie got some real nice gills for Utah. Cant wait to try them elsewhere and on some bigger targets.

Oh and those new St Croix rods - wow - love them

Here is the video - buckwheat was a hoot in it.

https://youtu.be/IcqPRnpS6uQ
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Awwww right.  They work.  Not surprised.  Same principle as fligs.  They present the bait up off the bottom...with some added bling.  Seems like the perch and gills smacked them just like the cats usually do the fligs...POW.

Not impressed with the size of the perch but those were some pretty fair sized gills.

I can verify from past results on Starvy and other larger perch waters that big perch DO like fligs...and probably the pugly variety too.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
(09-15-2020, 10:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Awwww right.  They work.  Not surprised.  Same principle as fligs.  They present the bait up off the bottom...with some added bling.  Seems like the perch and gills smacked them just like the cats usually do the fligs...POW.

Not impressed with the size of the perch but those were some pretty fair sized gills.

I can verify from past results on Starvy and other larger perch waters that big perch DO like fligs...and probably the pugly variety too.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]

Them gills were nice. But ya, them perch need some protein. Still a successful test run. Got a smaller hook size on order and Rochport with hanger shots on my mind. Test 2 coming up
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew