Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This past week fishing Utah Lake
I've fished out of LB several times in the past week. Highlights: 

On Friday we had a sort of mini-flotilla; BLK and TD hooked up then Mooseman and I arrived later in my boat. Richard and Violet were there, too. Justin and I caught 13 fish between us which was about half what Richard and Vi reported. It was a fun day out with my friend; we got enough for a fish fry for three families and Justin caught a couple of bumpers.

Before sunrise Saturday I bumped into Lynn at the ramp, but didn't hurt him too much (that's a joke, son). He was using a silver spinner and was pulling in a small white bass on nearly every cast. I was able to get a few and one 9"er to stoke my bait supply. We've been trying to get over to The Knolls for some time but we never seemed to mesh. He suggested we go over there and I didn't have to be asked twice. When we got there we immediately started catching fish. Well, I was a little frustrated because they were biting consistently but I couldn't get them to stick. I finally realized that the flig I was using had gotten very dull. After I switched it out I started nailing them. We fished until after noon. We pretty much stayed in the area between the two knolls; I got in as close as 100 yards from shore but usually was further out where I wouldn't be bumping rocks. I caught 20 and Lynn said he quit counting when he got that many. He caught a 30"er, too. None of mine got  very close to that so no bumps for me. When he headed home I took a vector and went over to the orchards, the area around the sheds. From there I strolled down toward Mulberry, reaching there around 5:00 when I decided to head for home. At that point I had hit a personal best of 34 channel cats in a day. No really big fish but still a day to remember. It was my 43rd trip of the year and I crossed my goal of 400 cats. 

Earlier in the week I caught an "almost"--29.5". There were a few 28s and 28.5s sprinkled throughout the week. On Saturday it was about 62° at the outset and was getting nearly up to the 70 mark by the time I went past the wading warriors casting for walleye. Of note, there was starting to be enough algae to make a thin scum on the water. Not real bothersome, but it was there.

Well, I gotta quit goofing around and go scout for deer. Good exercise to get in shape for the elk hunt. I'm not sure how much more fishing I'll get in what with hunting hogging the front burner.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Craig, nice report and lots of fish caught. A couple questions; you say "Justin caught a couple of bumpers." OK pardon my lack of knowledge, but who is Justin (what BFT name) and is he going to post those "bumpers" ? I assume he is a Cat contestant ?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sorry, my bad. Justin is Mooseman75. I don't know if he will post them or not; I hope he does. He hasn't been able to fish much this year between covid, homeschooling and boat trouble. I hope we can get out again and get him some really big fish.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I posted them, I just forgot I got into school work with the kids and all... But they are done. Thanks Craig for a great day I hope we could do it again but my back ( not because of fishing) is bad right now I'm bed ridden for past 2 days. But I enjoyed the day out and finally seeing some fish caught.
(09-18-2020, 01:50 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: I posted them, I just forgot I got into school work with the kids and all... But they are done. Thanks Craig for a great day I hope we could do it again but my back ( not because of fishing) is bad right now I'm bed ridden for past 2 days. But I enjoyed the day out and finally seeing some fish caught.

I saw them. Got them marked as Pending. I imagine Jeff will get them scored in a couple days. Sorry about the painful back,  take care of it so you can get back on the water.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool