Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach 9-23-20
Met up with Lee and BLK at the ramp this morning.  Air temp mid 50's.  Water temp 63 at launch...warming to almost 68 at noon.  Glassy calm most of the morning...with a couple of mild sessions of light breeze.

Lee and I worked the area out off the springs...from 6' to 9'.  BLK headed east.  Don't know how he did.  He got a new radio and couldn't get it to work.  Most trips he doesn't wanna talk to me so he claims "bad batteries".  He was already gone when I came in just after noon.  And Lee left early too...after dropping his wife's camera into Utah Lake...to join all the other cameras and cell phones it has eaten over the years.  At least he brought a half dozen cats to the net before suffering the possible loss of his marriage...or some of his extremities.

Fishing was not stellar after the little front that went through yesterday.  Picked up one here and there, but no real concentrations.  And many of the bites were tentative...except for the few that slurped the whole flig down.  I think I finished up with about 10 cats.  All but one were under 2 footers.  The biggest was almost 27 inches...and fought more like it was 27 pounds.

Kept getting a lot of "rattle rattle" bait molester bites.  Figured they were probably white bass.  When I caught one on a big flig that proved my theory.  And when the kitties slowed way down after about 10:30 I put up a bait rod and began slinging tandem plastics for whities.  Probably got about a dozen and kept 6 between 10" - 12".  Also got a surprise crappie.  Way out in the middle of nowhere...a crappie. 

Only a couple of boats out besides BLK.  Not sure how anybody else did.  But it was a nice day for fishing...even if the catching was not spectacular.  Always is.
[Image: DAYBREAK.jpg][/url][Image: OVER-26.jpg][url=https://ibb.co/7RKJfkt][Image: FLIGGIN-CATFISH.jpg][Image: FLIGGIN-WHITIE.jpg][Image: PLASTIC-WHITIE.jpg][Image: CRAPPIE.jpg][Image: SCAMPI-FIXINS.jpg]
Pat even your not great day is better than my good days. But I'm hoping once I get my new boat registered I can have a chance to get a few. I just have to do it without a trolling motor or a fish finder so I won't know depths. But you give me hope that they are there still to be caught.
Thanks for another good day Pat. Couldnt have asked for a nicer day. I ended up with 7 for the day. All were caught on fligs and baby white bass. 5 on the blue /silver 1 on firetiger and 1 on purple flig. All in 8 to 9 ft of water. Finicky bites for sure and all under 24. 
 When I got home to face the music bout her camera she just said we best go get us each another one.  Sweetie for sure.  Now if I can just figure out how to import . 
  Lynn great to see you again. I think you said you had a 20 fish day but all were fairly small. Still a good day. And I agree we should hit the knolls soon
(09-24-2020, 01:17 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Pat even your not great day is better than my good days. But I'm hoping once I get my new boat registered I can have a chance to get a few. I just have to do it without a trolling motor or a fish finder so I won't know depths. But you give me hope that they are there still to be caught.

Justin,
  Only my opinion, but this late in the season with water going shallow at UL and other places  (Willard Bay water level is down several feet) I would not recommend putting your new boat on the water, especially out of Lincoln Beach, without a good functioning depth finder, sonar, fish finder, whatever you want to call it. Since you probably don't yet know for sure how deep your boat drafts, not having a good depth finder could result in donating a piece of your prop or worse to lake. 

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(09-24-2020, 01:17 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Pat even your not great day is better than my good days. But I'm hoping once I get my new boat registered I can have a chance to get a few. I just have to do it without a trolling motor or a fish finder so I won't know depths. But you give me hope that they are there still to be caught.
If you can get by without GPS, down-imaging, side scan and speed indicators I have an almost new still-working basic sonar system I would be glad to donate.  It is a Humminbird 565.  It is black and white but does a pretty good job of showing depth, bottom composition, temperatures, etc.  It came off TubeBabe's tube when health conditions ended her tubing career.  Here is a link to the manual  HUMMINBIRD 565 

And, if you wanna make it completely portable, I have an extra 7ah battery and charger to throw in.  You will need to figure out how to mount it to your boat...or I can help you PVC rig it for temporary or hand-held.

I agree with TinCan.  Sonar is invaluable on Utah Lake...even in high water conditions.  Yes, there is the safety factor.  But there are also days when the fish show a definite preference for specific depths or temperatures.  Being able to find the right conditions can save you a lot of fishless fishing.
[Image: 565.jpg]
Hey, that was a good day yesterday. The water was calm and the kitties were active on my end of the lake. I worked the area from the springs to BS in 7 fow and had some good luck. I caught 20+ cats and the two biggest were 28"ers. They favored the bait Pat donated to me at the launch, thanks.

And my new radio... purchased just this week so I could continue to offer helpful hints to you as we fished. I bought a set of four radios (cheap ones) so i could use them on an up-coming coyote hunt. They worked fine when I tested them at home but as soon as i tried to chat with you and Lee I found out the radios I bought were not compatible with other brands of radios. Can't win. Next time I will have a radio that will reach you as you leave your home. Count on it.

Still, a good day of fishing and I look forward to the next. I hear the Knolls beckoning...

BLK
(09-24-2020, 03:21 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Hey, that was a good day yesterday. The water was calm and the kitties were active on my end of the lake. I worked the area from the springs to BS in 7 fow and had some good luck. I caught 20+ cats and the two biggest were 28"ers. They favored the bait Pat donated to me at the launch, thanks.

And my new radio... purchased just this week so I could continue to offer helpful hints to you as we fished. I bought a set of four radios (cheap ones) so i could use them on an up-coming coyote hunt. They worked fine when I tested them at home but as soon as i tried to chat with you and Lee I found out the radios I bought were not compatible with other brands of radios. Can't win. Next time I will have a radio that will reach you as you leave your home. Count on it.

Still, a good day of fishing and I look forward to the next. I hear the Knolls beckoning...

BLK
"Next time I will have a radio that will reach you as you leave your home."

Who says there will be a next time?  Well, of course there will.  I get lonely when you don't talk to me.

Glad you had a good day.  Fish were a lot scarcer than I thought they would be off the springs.  But fishing is always good...even if the catchin' ain't.

Yeah, I think the Knolls deserves some combined attention from us.  Gotta be some more 30 plussers there.
Thanks Forrest good recommendation. I may go out of provo harbor where they dredged it is a bit deeper. I'm not going to the island with it yet. I would probably stay out in the deeper part of the lake to play it safe.
It's that time of the year to start to worry about the channel depth at LB. I saw readings between 2.5 and 3 feet the other day. When do we need to really worry? And speaking of worrying, what's this about the lake being closed because of algae? I had seen some scum a couple of weeks ago but the water seems good and clear now. Anybody know?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(09-24-2020, 04:50 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Thanks Forrest good recommendation. I may go out of provo harbor where they dredged it is a bit deeper. I'm not going to the island with it yet. I would probably stay out in the deeper part of the lake to play it safe.

Justin, I was out of LB yesterday (Friday)  water depth at the ramp and most of the marina was 3.0-3.5'. Going out the channel, staying down the middle, depth was 2.6 to 3.3.  At the mouth and buoy line depth was 4.0-6.0 and in the area I stayed south-west ish from springs to orchards deepest water I came across was 8.8'.  
When I was leaving about 1:00 p.m.  there was a quite large cruiser, maybe 25-28 foot, that launched. Don't know how much that boat drafts, but he seemed to make it out the channel without problem. 

(09-25-2020, 01:54 AM)catchinon Wrote: It's that time of the year to start to worry about the channel depth at LB. I saw readings between 2.5 and 3 feet the other day. When do we need to really worry? And speaking of worrying, what's this about the lake being closed because of algae? I had seen some scum a couple of weeks ago but the water seems good and clear now. Anybody know?

Craig, I got to LB yesterday about 8 a.m.  no one else there, no rigs in the lot.  I saw the sign on  the entrance drive, but I figured lake wasn't really "CLOSED" or they would have blocked off the ramp like they have in previous years.  I saw just a little floating grassy, scummy, stuff that was kind of eddied up at the edges along the rocks, but none of the big floating blobs of green goo out on the water.  When I got around to the area between the L and the Orchard there were 3 or 4 "waders"  out up to their chests. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
With the water level this low I will run out of the harbor with the motor tilted up bit, NOTE there pile of rock in the middle of the dock where people throw rocks in to break the ice, thats the only place I have dinged a prop. just pulling away from the dock, now I make sure the motor is away from the middle of the dock.

GPS is invaluable to me on UL, fish it for a long time with out it but being able to go back to the exact little rock shelf when 50 ft one way or the other no fish, side imaging is great down there to, I have managed to mark the island and from mulberry to the harbor where the flat bottom come up to the rock shelf.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]