Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Chub fillets?
Do any of you or have any of you salted your chub fillets?
If you have has it seemed to help or hurt with the bite?   Huh
I have thinking about giving it a try.
(09-25-2020, 01:06 AM)PACMEN Wrote: Do any of you or have any of you salted your chub fillets?
Years ago I tried salting cisco to see it it would work, I used a method that TubeDude told me about. It did not seems to work that well for those fish, it just turned them mushy and it did not stay on the hook that well. Finally I ended up buying a vacuum packer, then freezing the fish whole, that seemed to work the best for my needs and I use the same method for chubs.
(09-25-2020, 02:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 01:06 AM)PACMEN Wrote: Do any of you or have any of you salted your chub fillets?
Years ago I tried salting cisco to see it it would work, I used a method that TubeDude told me about. It did not seems to work that well for those fish, it just turned them mushy and it did not stay on the hook that well. Finally I ended up buying a vacuum packer, then freezing the fish whole, that seemed to work the best for my needs and I use the same method for chubs.

I have been vacuum packing and freezing the fish whole for 5 or 6 years also. I think I will try the salt with a couple of fillets to see the results with chub.
How have you been handling whole frozen fish on the water?
I thaw a bit the night before chunk it up then refreeze over night. Put in cold pack or ? depending on what fishing temps. are going to be.
(09-25-2020, 06:31 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 02:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I have been vacuum packing and freezing the fish whole for 5 or 6 years also. I think I will try the salt with a couple of fillets to see the results with chub.
How have you been handling whole frozen fish on the water?
I thaw a bit the night before chunk it up then refreeze over night. Put in cold pack or ? depending on what fishing temps. are going to be.
Since I have never tried salting chubs, I sure can speak for how they will turn out but please let us know how it turns out for you. I carry a fillet board and knives in my boat, so I usually cut my chub as soon as get on the water and get ready to use it, then put the cut up bait in a container and use as needed. When I cut up the chub it is usually partly frozen and as long as you use a sharp knife ,it works fine, just don't wait until it is thawed out or you will have a mess. I realise you are likely aware of this but others reading this might not be aware of it. As far a cutting it up the night before, Ira has done that several times and it seems to work ok but I would not try it if you are doing it several days or longer in advance because it could get freezer burn.
Early on, I would freeze my chubs whole (they were typically only about 5 to 7 inches long), without salt, and then cut them up when I used them. When my chub hole went south I started catching larger chubs. I soon realized that they took way too much room in my freezer if I froze them whole. I started filleting the chubs and just freezing the fillets. At first, I never used any salt and then I started adding salt to about 1/2 of them. I was so pleased with the results of the salted fillets, for the last couple years I have salted all of my chub fillets. I find the fish like them just as well and sometimes a little better when salted. I have also discovered that, generously salted fillets, never freeze solid, even at zero degrees. I can use them right out of the freezer and any left over fillets can be refrozen and used again the next trip.

I fillet the chubs and toss the fillets into a bucket. After filleting all of the chubs I add a generous amount of powder salt (I was given a case a few years back), but any salt will work just fine. I stir the fillets around in the salt to make sure they are covered in salt. I then vacuum seal them.
Went to Scofield after the before mentioned chubs.
I was real surprised at the size. They averaged pretty close to 10". I am guessing that the fisheries management has been the cause of larger chubs. Used to be I would get 8" as the largest but most smaller.
Used a rod rather than a cast net and was pleased to pick up a brown in the mix.