Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Crappie
Wife wanted to go for a drive and see the colors. Threw in a few poles...just in case.

Our wanders ended up with us in Cache Valley, so we opted to check out Newton and see if we could get to a spot on the west side that we wanted to check for crappie, with the Deeper Chirp castable sonar.

Nope, all them spots were taken with families havn fun. Good for them. I will go back during the week to check those spots.

So, Cookie picked a spot in the flats that shows a moss line and proceeded to destroy the perch with those pugly perch bugs, again. I really don't know how many she caught, but well past fifty, would not be an exaggeration. No size. All Newton Cookie Cutters (pardon the pun) around 5-7 inches. Might have stretched a few to 8 inches if i tried hard.

Me I diligently mapped the area with the Deeper Chirp, hoping some crappie, maybe getting bored with their normal haunts, would pass through the flats. No such luck. I did mark some large curves close to the bottom that were likely largemouth bass. But attempts to wake them up, only made them leave for deeper sleeping quarters.

Oh them crappie. They sure do get inside my head and cost me a lot of gas looking for them. They are a hard one to target from shore with any consistency and always seem to be 2 feet farther than I can toss my slip bobber rig.  About time to start my night hunts or maybe I will have to breakdown and buy another pirate ship 

.[Image: 20200926-181704.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I've been find them just out a reach from the shore as well from my kayak unfortunately. PM sent with the spots I've been seeing them
(09-27-2020, 05:23 PM)F15Hwhisperer Wrote: I've been find them just out a reach from the shore as well from my kayak unfortunately. PM sent with the spots I've been seeing them

Thanks for the PM. My quest to catch species from the bank is a challenge at times. I find myself browsing ksl for kayaks, tubes, canoes and such, all the time and remembering the fun I had floating over top of them. I have my eye on a floating craft right now and am awful tempted
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Get the boat! I went too many years without one.
How are the crappie and bluegills doing in Newton? I haven't fished it since the early 90's. Those big marks near bottom could have been cats, I caught a 27" cat while flipping jigs for bass.
I was up to Newton a couple of weeks ago, fishing right near where Cookie is in that photo. A guy down the bank from me closer to the dam caught about a 10" bass. As he was bringing it in, a muskie grabbed the bass and held on for a minute before deciding it wasn't going where he wanted it to and he let go.

Last weekend, my son and I were up there and it was non-stop perch action for those same sizes you described. I think we must have caught most of them in the lake, but didn't keep any. At one point after a brief rainstorm on Saturday, the water near shore was a little murky (and the shore was a lot slippery). I had a small jig tipped with a tiny piece of perch meat and 6 feet from shore it got stuck on something. There was nothing that close to hang up on, so I pulled a little harder and something Big swirled and let go. Pretty sure it was another muskie. They are in there and not giant, but still could be fun.

Went back the next day, I had hoped to find crappie as well, but all we landed were perch, their brothers, sisters, parents, cousins, etc. And 2 small LM bass. We threw lures on heavy rods for a while in hopes of seeing a muskie, but it didn't happen for us. I didn't see anyone else catching much of anything. We did get to listen to some pretty explicit rap music for an hour or two, courtesy of the boat fishing the other side of the lake. That was the only downside to an otherwise very nice day.