Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Brotherhood Among Us
Had a birthday this month and I'm really getting up there!  The good news is all is well and I should be able to continue to fish for several more years.  The bad news is the loss of personal friends and fishing companions as time goes by.  I recently lost my best friend and long-time fishing companion to cancer and I am now fearing for another.  We all face losses like this and they hurt leaving a vacant spot in our hearts.  As I reflected on the good times shared in the past I realized that we not only have the memories of good times with our close friends, but also there is a brotherhood among us who frequent BFT.  It gives me enjoyment to read of your adventures and experiences on the waters and streams of our great nation.  While I don't know you all personally I feel an attachment to you and appreciate the honorable values you represent as expressed in your reports.  This past year I was fortunate to be able to fish with some of you, meet others on local and distant waters and in some cases share confidential information on PMs.

Nothing can replace the loss of a friend, but I feel there are lots more "friends"  out there on BFT and I look forward to fishing with many of you yet this year and this winter, too.  I hope this doesn't sound "mushy"; I just want to say how much I appreciate the time you take to share.

Tight Lines, Trueblue2
Sympathies for your loss...and best wishes for your other friend.  I am also nearing my "expiration date" and am reminded of it far too often as friends and family members of a similar age check out before me.   But, as I often remind myself...as long as I am still on this side of the grass, and can still mow it, I can still enjoy life and whatever I can derive from it...like fishing.

On a recent trip to Idaho...to visit the graves of my parents...I saw my (even older) aunt walking around in the Arco cemetery.  We met up and chatted and something she said stuck with me.  "Seems like whenever I want to visit my friends anymore, this is where I have to come."

There is a kind of brotherhood on BFT.  But as I look back on my past fishing logs and copies of email and pm conversations I am reminded that there are quite a few of us who have been left behind...to fish those celestial waters.  
(09-27-2020, 05:14 PM)trueblue2 Wrote: Had a birthday this month and I'm really getting up there!  The good news is all is well and I should be able to continue to fish for several more years.  The bad news is the loss of personal friends and fishing companions as time goes by.  I recently lost my best friend and long-time fishing companion to cancer and I am now fearing for another.  We all face losses like this and they hurt leaving a vacant spot in our hearts.  As I reflected on the good times shared in the past I realized that we not only have the memories of good times with our close friends, but also there is a brotherhood among us who frequent BFT.  It gives me enjoyment to read of your adventures and experiences on the waters and streams of our great nation.  While I don't know you all personally I feel an attachment to you and appreciate the honorable values you represent as expressed in your reports.  This past year I was fortunate to be able to fish with some of you, meet others on local and distant waters and in some cases share confidential information on PMs.

Nothing can replace the loss of a friend, but I feel there are lots more "friends"  out there on BFT and I look forward to fishing with many of you yet this year and this winter, too.  I hope this doesn't sound "mushy"; I just want to say how much I appreciate the time you take to share.

Tight Lines, Trueblue2
As we age we do lose close friends. There are some great people on BFT New freinds never replace the old friends but they passable good fishing partners
Just remember: The Time Spent Fishing Won't Be Taken Off Your Life.  So, fish more; live longer.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
reading this post makes me cry.
I also have a  long-time fishing companion that has cancer he was fishing with me this spring. now I call him and tell him we will be fishing together next year, He does not believe me.   and that is hard on me

I also tell my grandkids they need to learn my boat so they can take over.

I love every one on BFT and the ones I have taken fishing with me.      
and like the rest of you fishing keeps me young and going.   

Just remember: The Time Spent Fishing Won't Be Taken Off Your Life.  So, fish more; live longer.
hope there is fishing on the other side.