Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay trip #19
Was a beautiful day on the water today. And today marks my longest constant  "no skunk" streak this year at Willard. Every trip I  have made to WB since 26 June, I have boated at least 1 fish.  Sure lots better than previous years.  

Arrived at south marina about 8:00, and was launched by 8:14, and out on my favorite (this year) Cat producing stretch of water at 8:40. 
There was a very light breeze coming in from the south west, so I stopped out from the feed lot in about 10 fow, set out my lines, and let that breeze drift me generally north east till I was in 15-16 fow. Then motored up and moved back to my approximate starting point.  Had several hit and run on first drift, and on second drift, first Cat decided to suck up the bait and hook.  Swallowed it deep, so once boated, in the live well it went. 

About 9:30 the wind shifted around to coming out of the north west, but didn't get any stronger. So I just shifted my lines to the other side of the boat and drifted generally south east.  And again, about the second drift Cat # 2 sucked up bait and hook, so another keeper. 

Was getting about ready to start moving back to the marina and Cat # 3 decided he would be smarter than his brethren. He hit the bait, made 2 sharp tugs, then stopped. Thought maybe I'd had the bait stripped so started reeling. Nope, got Cat # 3, but this time thru bottom lip, into corner of mouth and thru top lip.  Figured 3 keepers makes for an even number of fillets, so into the well. 

Only had 2 almost worn out pieces of shrimp left so moved over toward the channel outside the buoy line.  Dropped anchor, started prepping boat for quitting. Had pulled up about 75 yards in front of another boat that I thought was stationary fishin. But about 10 minutes later those folks pulled up off my starboard side and I realized it was jjannie, but with Rosie. Annie had to stay home.  So we had a short chat in passing. 

I knew that fatbiker (Larry) was out on the water, but after pulling boat out and cleaning my 3 Cat catch, he came up behind me at the cleaning station. Finally, got to meet Larry and put a face to the name and boat. 

I would say having nice weather, few other boats on the water, catching some nice fat eatin cats, and getting to chat some with a couple other BFT folk, made for a great all around day.  

[Image: 0125-0841-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 0125a-Feed-lot.jpg]

[Image: 0126-Cat-1-kept.jpg]  [Image: 0127-Cat-2-kept.jpg]  [Image: 0128-Cat-3-kept.jpg]  [Image: 0129-days-catch.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thats quite a winning streak!
As I drove past the bay yesterday afternoon on my way to work I wondered how you were doing, then the obvious answer hit me, he's doing better than me.
Great to see ya out on the water yesterday, TC. Rosie was sure interested in meeting thought she was going leap out of our boat to get to you. We ended our day after having caught 10 cats, we kept 4. It was a really nice, smokeless day and we had few chores back home we needed to get accomplished before darkness fell upon us.
Forest that is impressive to have a skunkless steak. From reading parts about Willard you have done well. I only fished there once at a flotilla and if it wasn't for an 9" bullhead I would have been skunked. But 6 filets for the smoker would be good but my kids eat it like candy.