Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys Lake
How thick is the ice
I'm guessing not thick enough to be on, but if the weather keeps up like it is, it won't be long before holes can be drilled. I saw that the little lake in Blackfoot right off the interstate had ice on it this morning, got me all excited to get my ice fishing gear ready.
I went up there this morning. My favorite spot, just past Staley Springs, only had just under 2 inches of ice. I turned around and headed home. But just as I was driving back by that parking place on the far North side, I noticed the ice looked good. I had fished that spot years ago. Four of us never got a bite. And in all my ice fishing trips up there after that, I never once saw anyone ice fishing there. It's real shallow and lots of under growth. But I turned around and went and checked the ice and found a good 5 inches. So I went out there.
I'm sure I was the first and only one on the lake. I got on the ice around 8. It was 18 degrees. I walked out 100 yards and the ice was getting thinner at 4 inches so I stopped and fished there. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, but I got some nice ones. First a 2 lb. cutthroat. Then a 2 lb. brookie, and another 2 lb. brook, then 3 lb cutbow that was 20 inches.
[Image: 20201027-092338.jpg]

[Image: 20201027-095824.jpg]

On the way home I drove down to the State boat launch on the South side to see if I was the only one on the ice. It is a mess on that side of the lake. That last storm blew hard from the North, and it is hard to describe the ice boulder build up that is there and as far as you can see. It's basically unfishable. But with the warm weather, it will be in the 50's up there this week, it needs to melt and start over.

It was only 5 feet deep where I was. Always before when I ice fish Henry's, because of the two fish limit, it isn't long before I have two fish caught that are bleeding and I won't throw back. So this time I tried circle hooks thinking they would catch in corner of the mouth and I could release more of them unharmed. Well that didn't work. Maybe you need more line of something. But the fish were not all that active. It might be the bright moon, or just not that good of a spot. But I had four poles out and unless I was holding it and jigging it I didn't get a bite. I used a spoon or castmaster and 14 inches of leader and circle hook with red sided shinner.
(10-28-2020, 02:21 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I went up there this morning. My favorite spot, just past Staley Springs, only had just under 2 inches of ice. I turned around and headed home. But just as I was driving back by that parking place on the far North side, I noticed the ice looked good. I had fished that spot years ago. Four of us never got a bite. And in all my ice fishing trips up there after that, I never once saw anyone ice fishing there. It's real shallow and lots of under growth. But I turned around and went and checked the ice and found a good 5 inches. So I went out there.
I'm sure I was the first and only one on the lake. I got on the ice around 8. It was 18 degrees. I walked out 100 yards and the ice was getting thinner at 4 inches so I stopped and fished there. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, but I got some nice ones. First a 2 lb. cutthroat. Then a 2 lb. brookie, and another 2 lb. brook, then  3 lb cutbow that was 20 inches.
[Image: 20201027-092338.jpg]

[Image: 20201027-095824.jpg]

On the way home I drove down to the State boat launch on the South side to see if I was the only one on the ice. It is a mess on that side of the lake. That last storm blew hard from the North, and it is hard to describe the ice boulder build up that is there and as far as you can see. It's basically unfishable. But with the warm weather, it will be in the 50's up there this week, it needs to melt and start over.

It was only 5 feet deep where I was. Always before when I ice fish Henry's, because of the two fish limit, it isn't long before I have two fish caught that are bleeding and I won't throw back. So this time I tried circle hooks thinking they would catch in corner of the mouth and I could release more of them unharmed. Well that didn't work. Maybe you need more line of something. But the fish were not all that active. It might be the bright moon, or just not that good of a spot. But I had four poles out and unless I was holding it and jigging it I didn't get a bite. I used a spoon or castmaster and 14 inches of leader and circle hook with red sided shinner.

Thanks, I will advise of any info I hear about
(10-28-2020, 02:21 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I went up there this morning. My favorite spot, just past Staley Springs, only had just under 2 inches of ice. I turned around and headed home. But just as I was driving back by that parking place on the far North side, I noticed the ice looked good. I had fished that spot years ago. Four of us never got a bite. And in all my ice fishing trips up there after that, I never once saw anyone ice fishing there. It's real shallow and lots of under growth. But I turned around and went and checked the ice and found a good 5 inches. So I went out there.
I'm sure I was the first and only one on the lake. I got on the ice around 8. It was 18 degrees. I walked out 100 yards and the ice was getting thinner at 4 inches so I stopped and fished there. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be, but I got some nice ones. First a 2 lb. cutthroat. Then a 2 lb. brookie, and another 2 lb. brook, then  3 lb cutbow that was 20 inches.

Randy, good to see you found you way back to the site, we have been missing your fishing reports. Thanks for being the brave one that got out on the first ice of the season, you da man Smile, great report too especially for fishing in water that shallow.
I took a break from fishing. I'm not quite as dedicated a fisherman as you guys. This is my first fishing trip since the end of July. I took a break and played (don't laugh) pickle ball August and September. But I love ice fishing.
Dam, way to go Randy, never been on the ice this early.
Remember last year Lyle? We got a deep freeze while I was harvesting spuds in October and I got up there right after still in October. So I was watching the temps up there close this year. It got down below zero so I thought it might be a go. I was worried about the wind with that last cold front though. I didn't think there would be thick ice. I didn't even dare take my dog with me. It is still fishable on that far North side. I went pheasant hunting today and got 2 more birds, 7 so far. But I'm thinking about going back up to Henry's Friday. It's starting to warm up, but it is still getting down in the low teens at nite up there.
Nice to see some Henry's fish on the hard deck!
I went back up yesterday. Over by Staley it only had 2 inches. But just past there I seen some people on the ice. I went over and there was 3 inches of solid ice, but only 3 feet deep. The guys I talked to had caught a few with pink jigs and wax worm. They said they tried to go out further on the ice, but it started sagging. So everyone was staying close to the shore. There was 3 inches at the State marina.
I caught 20 today on a white with red flake maniac Baits Gitzilla tipped with meal worm by the state park, there was 6-8” of ice with chunks of the ice that blew of 10 days ago floating under the ice. I got 18 of them between 7:30 and 11:00am and 2 from 11 to 2:00 pm. I checked the ice by the hatchery it was a little over 2” 40 yds out. I’ll be back up there in 3 weeks.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice, I might have to get up there and give it a try.
Went back up today. I fished the State marina, lots of fishermen few fish. I got two cuts, one two pound one 2 and a half. After we drove over and found 3 inches good ice by Staleys. I'm going back after the next storm.
(11-18-2020, 01:17 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Went back up today. I fished the State marina, lots of fishermen few fish. I got two cuts, one two pound one 2 and a half. After we drove over and found 3 inches good ice by Staleys. I'm going back after the next storm.

How many inches of ice were at the State Marina?
I'm guessing since that's the only ice around it's going to be busy until other's are froze.
It is thick at the marina. It's like a foot or so. Not sure how much of it is good ice. If you read my first post when I checked out the marina when it first froze, it was a giant field of huge chunks of ice. You couldn't have pulled a sled through it. Well now it has settled down to some thick chunky lumpy ice.

[Image: amazon-photos-shared-media2143824250047722024.jpg]
I had pretty good day at Henrys today with some good company. I started my morning at the Hatchery on 5” of good ice at 5am and had 7 on the deck when Fastrandy showed up around 6:30 at 9:00am I had put 19 on the ice and we decided to make a move over to Staley’s where I ran my count up to 41 for the day, all but 2 I caught on a white with red flake maniac Gitzilla tipped with meal worm and mikes trout glow scent. We are talking about going back up on Monday and I am for sure going up on Friday.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice, sounds like a great day
Great fishing with you Shawn.
[Image: 20201121-132957.jpg]

[Image: 20201121-102215.jpg]

[Image: 20201121-122802.jpg]
Sounds like you two had a great day on the ice, good looking trout too.how big was your largest fish?