Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold smoking fresh water salmon
Howdy,

I want to try my hand at cold summer, but can't find any info online about how safe it is.

FDA says all sushi needs to be frozen at a minimum of -4 for 7 days.

I assume this applies to fresh water fish as well, but because cold smoking doesnt provide any heat I thought I'd check around...

I was going to pull some salmon from early season jordanelle (been in the freezer since may) , dry cure them, then cold smoke. Eventually making a smoked salmon chowder.

Anyone have any other info?

This puts my mind at ease a little:

https://www.themeateater.com/fish/freshw...r-fish-raw
OK, this one is a little tough, and may be one that is more about what risk you are willing to take.

Freshwater fish are subject to more parasites than Ocean fish. I don't know what it says now, but the FDA use to only "approve of" Tuna for raw sushi because it had such a low incident of parasites. Obviously anyone that loves sushi (Sashimi) knows that other raw fish are used.

Freezing at 20 degrees below zero for extended times will kill most parasites, but does your freezer get that cold and I doubt 4 or 5 days will be sufficient.

Having said that, I like a little risk, and I consider it little. I have taken raw trout and kokes and saltwater brined them. I then place the fillets under a fan at room temperature and dry it to the point where it gets just a little sticky. The smoke now stick and absorbs very well.

I then smoke at a "cold smoke" temperature. I figure that the saltwater brine has preserved it enough to allow extended smoking times at low temperatures. Once I am convinced that the fish is smoked and dried to a point that I like, I then, with a temperature probe in place, I quickly raise the temperature to 120 degrees. I remove the fish PRONTO just as soon as it hits 120 deg. F.

For me, the final 120 degree heat, after the fish is dried and smoked to where I want it, does little to impact taste or quality, but provides all of the risk aversion that I require.

I am not a doctor, NOT a LAWER, and make no promises, but, for me, this is all I require.

On the other hand, I have a recipe for uncooked raw red meat like elk or venison and it taste awesome, but would be totally illegal in the US. LOL
(10-27-2020, 02:48 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: OK, this one is a little tough, and may be one that is more about what risk you are willing to take.

Freshwater fish are subject to more parasites than Ocean fish.  I don't know what it says now, but the FDA use to only "approve of" Tuna for raw sushi because it had such a low incident of parasites.  Obviously anyone that loves sushi (Sashimi) knows that other raw fish are used.

Freezing at 20 degrees below zero for extended times will kill most parasites, but does your freezer get that cold and I doubt 4 or 5 days will be sufficient.

Having said that, I like a little risk, and I consider it little.  I have taken raw trout and kokes and saltwater brined them.  I then place the fillets under a fan at room temperature and dry it to the point where it gets just a little sticky.  The smoke now stick and absorbs very well. 

I then smoke at a "cold smoke" temperature.  I figure that the saltwater brine has preserved it enough to allow extended smoking times at low temperatures.  Once I am convinced that the fish is smoked and dried to a point that I like, I then, with a temperature probe in place, I quickly raise the temperature to 120 degrees.  I remove the fish PRONTO just as soon as it hits 120 deg. F.

For me, the final 120 degree heat, after the fish is dried and smoked to where I want it, does little to impact taste or quality, but provides all of the risk aversion that I require.

I am not a doctor, NOT a LAWER, and make no promises, but, for me, this is all I require.

On the other hand, I have a recipe for uncooked raw red meat like elk or venison and it taste awesome, but would be totally illegal in the US.  LOL

I agree with everything you said, thanks for providing your experience. The fillets have been in the freezer since may, I dont think my freezer gets cold enough. I think I might get some dry ice to lay the fillets on for the remainder of the week in a cooler.

Like you said, it's a question of risk. This is more science than art. I'm going to give it a shot.

If you dont get a DC walleye report from me in 2 weeks... well....